Sorry for what may be a naive question, but....

Years ago, I was addicted to PC software like Quicken. Its most powerful feature, in my experience, was its ability to connect to (a set of) properly configured bank accounts and securely download transactions, synchronizing a local log with the latest postings. This included what could be a host of ATM withdrawals and the like. As I understand it, Microsoft Money and Quicken both do such things, using protocols loosely based on some subset of OFX (a standard?), Quicken's version of which is QFX....

Last I paid any attention (it has been a while) Quicken was pushing their web-based application, and internet-server-based storage of data. Even today, however, the web presentation is not such as can be used from a BB browser, which begs the question: "How hard would it be to write a SW package that implemented OFX and could do at least the core functions of something like Quicken--for BB?"

Anyway, in looking around for BB SW, all I find is a myriad of applications that either (or both):

(1) support manual logs of transactions from the road; or
    (2) support importation/exportation of files presumably synced from a desktop.

Given BB's inherent connectedness, not to belabor the obvious, it would have the capability of connecting to a financial institution in real time, just as Quicken can from a PC, for example. Is there already SW around (I've overlooked) that implements such a protocol and can allow a user to download at any time the latest transactions on his accounts? If not, any compelling reason why not?

Thanks for any pointers or explanations!
    06-25-08 08:56 AM
    Splash has a beta of its financial software that does this I think right now. I haven't tried it but I did see it was a listed goal in the program.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-08 08:22 PM
    Sorry for what may be a naive question, but....

Years ago, I was addicted to PC software like Quicken. Its most powerful feature, in my experience, was its ability to connect to (a set of) properly configured bank accounts and securely download transactions, synchronizing a local log with the latest postings. This included what could be a host of ATM withdrawals and the like. As I understand it, Microsoft Money and Quicken both do such things, using protocols loosely based on some subset of OFX (a standard?), Quicken's version of which is QFX....

Last I paid any attention (it has been a while) Quicken was pushing their web-based application, and internet-server-based storage of data. Even today, however, the web presentation is not such as can be used from a BB browser, which begs the question: "How hard would it be to write a SW package that implemented OFX and could do at least the core functions of something like Quicken--for BB?"

Anyway, in looking around for BB SW, all I find is a myriad of applications that either (or both):

(1) support manual logs of transactions from the road; or
    (2) support importation/exportation of files presumably synced from a desktop.

Given BB's inherent connectedness, not to belabor the obvious, it would have the capability of connecting to a financial institution in real time, just as Quicken can from a PC, for example. Is there already SW around (I've overlooked) that implements such a protocol and can allow a user to download at any time the latest transactions on his accounts? If not, any compelling reason why not?

Thanks for any pointers or explanations!
    I had quicken in my Ipac and it was great and would love to have a similar program to manage my accounts on my BB. I too would love to see an answer to this.
    06-26-08 09:49 AM
    Check the Splash app and the Ascendo app. I have Ascendo and it is great. Splash makes great apps too and they have a beta available. Try a search for both.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD