Hello,
    The $100 in free apps have started rolling out, and I'm wondering... in the RIM Facebook FAQ they explain that they've created separate SKUs for the apps they will offer for free. And that as of Jan 2, the free apps will go back to their original prices.

How will this affect us if we want to re-install after Jan 2? I know if I install it now, it will be in MyWorld, but if the SKUs are later removed, will I still be able to re-download them?

I'm asking because I like to do clean OS installs.

Thanks!
    10-19-11 10:02 AM
    Ya know, I was wondering about this myself. The SKU is different and the application build numbers are different from what I see elsewhere as well.

Maybe they won't actually remove the current "free" SKU's? Hopefully they will retain the "free" SKU for future downloads from MyWorld, as well as having the original download SKU's when this compensation period is over?

Hey, I'm just pleased with the offer. They did not have to do it, and I was not expecting it, so for as long as it lasts, I am content.

EDIT: Looking closer at the FaceBook page, it seems that we WILL be able to retain the ability to download the applications again. It will be tied to our BBIDs. Even after device switches or OS upgrades, which obviously involves a wipe & clean install.
    Q. How is RIM going to ensure that I am not charged for the apps?

A. Separate SKUs will be created for each app in BlackBerry App World. You won’t have to pay for the app once you’ve downloaded it for free. All of the apps selected for the Thank You Gift offer will be available to download at no charge until December 31, 2011, and they are yours to keep and use afterward, even if you upgrade your device or software. This will be managed through your BlackBerry ID account.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 10-19-11 at 11:05 AM. Reason: FaceBook Quote...
    10-19-11 10:55 AM
    I have a doubt, I'm using a Curve Gemini now, and I'll be changing my device around the 2nd week of November, so should I wait and download those on my new BB, or download them onto the Curve and then there's some way to transfer them to the new one?
    10-19-11 11:55 AM
    I have a doubt, I'm using a Curve Gemini now, and I'll be changing my device around the 2nd week of November, so should I wait and download those on my new BB, or download them onto the Curve and then there's some way to transfer them to the new one?
    Sorry. I can only go by what is officially stated on their FaceBook page.
    It clearly states...
    This will be managed through your BlackBerry ID account.
    I would take that to mean that it can be carried to any device in which you have set up your BBID. BBIDs are not device specific as the PIN# system is.

It also states...
    they are yours to keep and use afterward, even if you upgrade your device or software.
    I just have to take them at their word, I guess.

Wish I could say more to comfort you...
    joju58 likes this.
    10-19-11 12:11 PM
    It should be just as it is today. When you download and install an application it resides in 'My World' which tracks your applications based on a combination of your Pin# (device) and your BBID with BBID being the identifier for the apps you have downloaded.

The pin# alters your specific data if apps you have purchased are not available on the device you are using at the time--if you have a Playbook you will notice those specific apps show up with your phone but are not available for example.

This way they can provide a re-download if you have to wipe your device or worse lose the device and it has to be replaced. so you should feel confident about the free apps being available as you continue to progress through devices.
    10-19-11 01:58 PM
    Sorry. I can only go by what is officially stated on their FaceBook page.
    It clearly states...

I would take that to mean that it can be carried to any device in which you have set up your BBID. BBIDs are not device specific as the PIN# system is.

It also states...

I just have to take them at their word, I guess.

Wish I could say more to comfort you...
    you are exactly right, ones you download them...they yours even you uninstall it will stay in your appworld. Period
    10-19-11 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD