I am curious if anyone that has had experience with these programs (RDM+ and TSMobiles) have noticed any performance difference between the two. Now that they are down to $19.99 I am considering one of them. I am aware of the differences between the two and am fine with either just curious if maybe RDM+ had a performance edge over TSMobiles because of the desktop software installed. Thanks
    04-07-09 04:09 PM
    I don't know about TSMobiles, but RDM+ had a significant impact on my desktop performance.

Think about it, why would a developer drop the price from $50 to $20? That's not a sale, it's a foreclosure.
    04-07-09 04:22 PM
    RDM+ has a free trial, so might as well just try it out. Also I really doubt it's a "foreclosure"... Shape practically owns the BB remote desktop area.

I haven't noticed any desktop performance impact with RDM+.
    04-07-09 04:22 PM
    Well, I am using the trial version of RDM+. It does what it states and is pretty good at it. It displays fullscreen of what is on your PC, of course, with the option to zoom in two levels. I haven't gone all-out and see how everything works. But as far as controlling your PC via mouse and keyboard, it works. Speed is pretty good, but I have nothing to compare to. I am using a BB 8900, which isn't listed as supported, but it still works. Of course, wi-fi is good. I put the image quality to low for faster rendering. On wi-fi, to see a window minimized on the phone after clicking on the PC will take about 1-2 seconds. On Edge, maybe around 3-4. As for video, wi-fi is about 1 frame every 1.7 seconds. Edge, with a stable signal, maybe about 1 frame every 4 seconds. Like I said, I wasn't really thorough as I hopped right on to video streaming, as I am more interested in the product for security purposes.
    I read on some programs. I hear there is "J2ME VNC BlackBerry," something like it. It's free, but isn't as good as RDM+, which is what most, if not all, suggested.
    04-07-09 04:34 PM
    I don't know about TSMobiles, but RDM+ had a significant impact on my desktop performance.

Think about it, why would a developer drop the price from $50 to $20? That's not a sale, it's a foreclosure.
    What do you mean by significant impact and foreclosure? Bad or good? Lol, I'm slow. I wanna know if there's something better than RDM+, as it satisfies me already.
    04-07-09 04:36 PM
    I am curious about on the phone performance, not desktop. I like the idea of tsmobiles because it does not require a desktop side install but wasnt sure if whatever Shape used in RDM+ was any faster (maybe better utilizes the available bandwidth) than the regular rdp protocol in tsmobiles.
    04-07-09 04:42 PM
    The phone performance is limited by connection speed.

So if you use wifi + direct tcp it's not that bad, but if it's 3g and signal is spotty, it will be significantly slower... Also PC settings will affect this (wallpaper, desktop resolution, etc). Since RDM+ generally supports a bunch of connection methods, I can't imagine anything else doing much better.
    Last edited by papped; 04-07-09 at 04:53 PM.
    04-07-09 04:46 PM
    I am curious about on the phone performance, not desktop. I like the idea of tsmobiles because it does not require a desktop side install but wasnt sure if whatever Shape used in RDM+ was any faster (maybe better utilizes the available bandwidth) than the regular rdp protocol in tsmobiles.
    IMO, a desktop install would seem more secure. RDM+ registers the program on the computer and phone side must match the 8-digit pin of the pc. Also, the pc program allows you to see active connections. If there were no desktop installs, it may mean there is an opening in your pc for people to go into. And you wouldn't know. But that's my point of view. I'm not much technical but for people like me, it makes sense that a program on both ends would mean more security as each link must be verified.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-09 05:10 PM
    What do you mean by significant impact and foreclosure? Bad or good? Lol, I'm slow. I wanna know if there's something better than RDM+, as it satisfies me already.
    My experience with RDM+ is that it slowed performance of my desktop and its video hook is inefficient.

Using it like logmein or gotomypc isn't a real possibility. The video response is just too slow, even over wifi.

It's best use is for file transfer, but Sugarsync is out for the Blackberry and in its beta form it works much better and has way more features than RDM+

And a 60% price drop is a bit suspicious.

I steer clear of companies that are having deep discount sales of their products. Think about it. They were selling this product for $50. all of sudden it is only worth $20? Will they try to increase the price by 250% to get back to the $50 base someday? That is not being realistic.

A price cut that deep is like the price of stuff on the last day of a garage sale - it's either sell the junk or throw it away the next day. It smells to me like a dead end.
    04-07-09 05:41 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I will probably go with tsmobiles but still thinking about it. 20 bucks is still a little high for me for something I do not really need, just kind of want. Thanks again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 07:38 AM
    I've used version 3.7 on my old blackberry curve. It did the job but performance was obviously not very robust because of download speeds. I was intrigued by new version 4 but for the life of me, could not locate the desktop counterpart to version 4. Customer service at Shape after three days of emailing told me it was necessary to have version 4 installed on both the blackberry client and the desktop, yet, did not provide any link to the desktop client. The website appears to have only version 3.7 Now what goods is the blackberry version 4 without the desktop counterpart? I was not able to make a connection. Anyone know where the mysterious desktop version 4 link is??? thanks!!
    04-10-09 12:45 PM
    IMO, a desktop install would seem more secure.

TSM is just using the Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) feature that is built into W2K, XP, and Vista. RDM+ is going to be opening up additional ports and holes in the firewall. That is not saying it is really any less secure than RDC. Your PC will be as secure as you make it. If you don't haev a pasword on your system, you should think about it before having ANY product open you directly to data sharing.

Note: RDC was originally added to the Windows OS for remote access to servers and computers for administrative reasons. Very handy tool.
    04-11-09 02:21 PM
    i use RDM+ for quite a while now. it is great for accessing those things that you need while your away, but i would not imagine using it to watch a movie or anything.

has anybody thought about crack.....?

give a few samples out cheep, get people hooked and then start racking in the cash.

a company that wants to get the word out gives a few copies out for free or cheap so that others will show and tell about the app. then later people will be buting it at full price.

i paid $50 bucks for it and feel it is my most important app. i need it and what it does and what i use it for it works great. there really is nothing else out there for competition.
    04-11-09 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD