I noticed that many people in the Crackberry community (and most of the theme builders) seem to use QuickLaunch, but I must ask this: What is the point?

I looked at it and all it seems to be is showing apps in the text menu format instead of the iconic format, and a few extras (screenshot, weather, etc.) but so many people seem to use and love it that there's got to be more to it then that... So what's QuickLaunch?
    11-13-10 02:15 PM
    Normally "m" opens messages and B opens browser and whatnot.

Now take that and you can have 26 more.

X 26 more. X 26 more.

Yes. That many shortcuts. Its awesome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 02:36 PM
    I think my phone would be a nightmare without it. I have it linked to a convenience key, I hit the convenience key and with one more key stroke (utilizing shortcuts created in ql) I can text a specific individual (no 'compose new text, select contact name, etc) 2)open any webpage I've put on the menu (no open browser, go to book mark, etc), toggle my bluetooth/wifi/radio on or off and so many other things. I guess this is all 'stuff' that you could do, but it saves keystrokes (and time) and allows you to access, generally, what is more important to you in one convenient place. It has a whole host of other functions, but the ones I've listed above I use many times a day and find using them through ql very convenient. Maybe not for everyone, but certainly a must for my bb
    11-13-10 02:40 PM
    Actually it is kind of pointless. I bought it and have found that simple organization
    on the part of the user is much more effective than having an app to create and
    endless stream of counterproductive shortcuts.

No matter how much people describe it as a "must have" app, it really is quite useless.
    At least that is my take and I am a "power user" I do everything faster without it.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-13-10 at 02:55 PM.
    11-13-10 02:51 PM
    Yep I used it before and removed it, never used it...

but guess what works for some does not work for others.
    11-13-10 02:55 PM
    I'll defend quicklaunch as a must have app for as long as I own a blackberry, the shortcut example is one reason but take your convenience keys, you have 2 so you can easily open 2 things, well set one to quicklaunch and you are no longer limited to 2, you can open pretty much anything with 2 clicks. To each their own though, some don't like it, some do, I personally love it.
    11-13-10 02:56 PM
    Quicklaunch had a lot to it at first but now, I simply couldn't live without it. Bar none as long as you can remember what shortcuts you have set up with it, it is simply amazing. Best $$$ I've ever spent on a bb application

11-13-10 03:11 PM
    Sounds like a cool application, but I think I'll agree with John Yester, and say that while it works for some, I don't think it sounds like something that would work for me... Too bad though, I was really hoping to finally find the super organizer app to keep my blackberry as efficient as possible...
    11-13-10 03:54 PM
    If you like your homescreen uncluttered with icons, then QL is the way to go. Once you started using QL app, you would never want to own another BB unless you have QL app.. I'm hooked!
    11-13-10 04:06 PM
    If you like your homescreen uncluttered with icons, then QL is the way to go. Once you started using QL app, you would never want to own another BB unless you have QL app.. I'm hooked!

a Blackberry and Quicklaunch / power user or not its very useful and a must have for me
    11-13-10 04:35 PM
    Actually it is kind of pointless. I bought it and have found that simple organization
    I agree!

I even bought QL for 50% off. With so many people talking about how they can't live without QL, I figured I'd give it a shot. Didn't use it as much as I thought and arranged my Iconic HT-14 theme, which is great for me as far as shortcuts go, so I removed QL.
    11-13-10 09:28 PM
    Honestly I bought it based on the positive things I read about it & at 1rst, I found it useless but kept it & recently while bored I started playing with it more & now use it all the time by creating sub menus, for example I have one named banking for all those apps so I just hit space then b & there are all my banking apps & browser shortcuts related to banking, I love Quick Launch
    11-13-10 11:28 PM
    a Blackberry and Quicklaunch / power user or not its very useful and a must have for me
    +1 here!!
    11-14-10 12:08 AM
    IMHO I say to each his/her own. Apps like Quicklaunch are not for everyone. For some people, apps make their life better. Isn't that what's important? It's best to try before you buy though.
    11-14-10 12:30 AM

No matter how much people describe it as a "must have" app, it really is quite useless.
    At least that is my take and I am a "power user" I do everything faster without it.
    Yea..gotta disagree with AG on this one. No matter how organized you are..you can only have so many icons on one home screen..unless you don't use wallpaper and your ENTIRE screen is icons. Otherwise..you have to pretty much scroll to a folder, click on it, and then click on the App or function. With Quicklaunch set up, 2 clicks and the App/Function is launched..no scrolling around and finding it etc. It's even faster than typing for the Universal Search if your looking for an App/Function. But to each their own..i just find that I can have 4 icons on my main screen, with QL being one..and still access all my needs in 2 clicks with no swipey swipey.
    11-14-10 08:57 AM
    +1 for QuickLaunch
    11-14-10 11:47 AM
    It's a must have for me. With the many smartphones that's coming out, the only thing that's really keeping me grounded to BlackBerry is QuickLaunch & AutoText. Those are 2 things I'm not willing to give up at this point. QuickLaunch allows me to open applications as well as documents. If you find yourself using the same few applications, then you can get by without QuickLaunch. I have over 50 application on my phone. I can get to all of them within a snap. Same goes for documents as well. It works great for me as for opening files. I mainly access QuickLaunch from the homescreen by pressing the Space Bar.
    I have about 10 spreadsheets that I have to edit at work on a daily basis. Sheets To Go only keeps the latest 5 or so in memory. With QuickLaunch, I can access all 10 without a problem.
    I've also set a QuickLaunch shortcut that automatically clears the BlackBerry memory, & one to clear the Event Log (which you can also use (ATL +LGLG).
    You can create up to 3 letter combinations with QuickLaunch (26x3). That's a lot of shortcuts. I also use it to Email, Call, & SMS my favorite contacts.

Jean-luc_Picard likes this.
    11-14-10 01:19 PM
    Love QL. But has been stated, to each their own. Running with 40 apps and using about 23 daily. QL does help, especially with shortcuts to other things in the BB OS.
    11-14-10 05:46 PM
    In addition to all the organizational/shortcut benefits that everyone else talked about, it comes with flashlight, screencapture, staylit, etc... functions that would normally cost you more $ if purchased separately. It's a relatively cheap app that does a ton of great things once you get used to it
    11-14-10 10:53 PM
    People don't realize, with QL, not only can you launch apps, call/email/text a specific person, or open documents with just 2 clicks, but you can get to those apps/docs from anywhere, while in another app. Why back out to the home screen with multiple clicks of the Esc key to launch another app when you can just launch QL to get to whatever you need. For me, minimizing the number of clicks or keystrokes was important to my productivity. I have the Storm 2 and even with a well-organized system of icons, using the End key and/or the app switcher to multitask, I still find myself pressing more keys than I need to.

just 2 clicks... from anywhere... how can you beat that?
    11-14-10 10:56 PM
    If you find QL pointless, you're not doing it right. I haven't looked at my apps menu screen for months.

11-15-10 01:10 AM
    Downloaded it, used it for a few months back on my curve, found it quite useless and never looked at it again.
    To each there own. Some people swear by it, while others like myself find it useless. It's all on what you want to get out of it. Goes for any app i suppose.
    11-15-10 06:59 AM
    Yes to each their own. Can say the same thing about weather apps etc.
    11-15-10 09:26 AM
    Yes to each their own. Can say the same thing about weather apps etc.
    ain't that the truth! lol
    11-15-10 09:35 AM
    QuickLaunch is by far the most used and most favorable of all my apps... its such a simple concept but it goes such a long way. i HATE navigating the BB menus to look for an app and remember the exact location... yeah im sure ppl are going to say just organize and be patient... but i say why ? yah taking the "harder" route will make u a better person and not lazy blah blah... but why? in this case the easier and not even expensive route seems to be the best way to go. just a few clicks and/or key presses you have your app open.

i gotta say had it not been for quicklaunch my BB wouldnt be as used as it is for the pure reason that id be too lazy to go through my BB menus... if you have a touch or OS 6 it mite be a little different. OS6 for the obvious reason that it has the universal search but if you have anything less than 6 quicklaunch seems to be a must-have hands down.

call it wat u want but if u want your Memo's open you can just click your convenience and just type in "MEM" (just my set up) or if you want facebook just type "FF" (just my set up) and you're there... no need to go through ur menus.
    11-15-10 12:03 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD