I have a question about 3rd party apps back up. I have addressed Crucial_Xtreme who's the original poster in the thread. The thread is closed and my attempt by PMing him and by sending twitter message to him was unsuccessful. Put it this way:he never reply to my messages.
    So I've backed up my 3rd party apps weeks ago but i was too afraid to wipe my device as I planned so i didn't proceed. Now I do have a folder with my PIN on it which contains my 3rd party apps but since then I have a few more I want to save. Hopefully i'm going to do the wipe this time.
    My question is when I follow the instruction when i get to the point to search my PC for the folder with my PIN on it (which I have saved in another folder so I know where it is) how should I proceed. Just ignore this folder or this is the one I should look for? I saw the .alx file in it. Should i copy it and paste it to a different place like it says in the instruction? Or what to do? I'm totally confused and lost.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    04-07-10 10:09 PM
    Hello! Is anybody out there read my post?! I know so many member knows the procedure. Eventually Crucial_Xtreme responded and said to delete the entire folder where I saved my 3rd party apps and start it all over again. That folder contains the .alx file. I dunno what I should delete. The entire folder? Than when i'm backing up my apps and reach to the point to "search for the folder w/my PIN on it" what's gonna happen? Since I deleted it.
    Somebody, anybody willing to help me out cuz this little thingi holds me back from the procedure.
    TIA
    04-15-10 07:19 PM
    Have you considered using BBSAK to backup your 3rd party apps? Its easy, one click app backup

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    04-16-10 12:22 AM
    Kristi,
    I personally like the directions you followed to back up 3rd party apps. I would throw out the old folder you have made already and perform another 3rd party backup right now, if you are going to update your OS now. Things may have changed since the last time you did a backup, so do a fresh one now. Find the folder and I alwasy drag it to my desktop so I can find the dang thing. Then make sure you have done a regular backup. Drag that to the desktop as well. Then you should wipe using bbsak or JL-CMDR.

Does this help you? I am not a mod but I have helped several people re-image...

PS YES delete the ENTIRE folder. It will create another .alx when you do it again!
    04-16-10 07:02 AM
    Kristzitbi.... Yes you will want to delete all files on your PC with your PIN number as the name from the original back up, then re-back up all of the applications again. that will create a new .alx file along with all new .cod files.

then cut and paste that folder out of the "temp" folder from where it is stored and you have to move the .alx file as well....

move it to the desk top.....

updating your OS will not erase the 3rd party applications if you use the native app loader.....

and no you do not need to wipe prior to installing a OS.... there is no physical proof that it makes anything "better"....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-10 07:51 AM
    I agree with the above. No need to wipe your device unless you just want to. Now if you are having issues, do a wipe and a clean install of all applications from scratch. If not just use the DM backup for your settings and the cx proc as a backup of your 3rd party applications if something goes wrong. Also keep in mind the loader takes a full backup as well. This is used during the restore process of the upgrade. It will have "loader" in the name. This backup contains your settings and 3rd party applications.

BTW, BBSAK v1.7 is broken in later OS releases when it comes to reading COD files, creating or installing COD/alx files and backing up your device. Wipe and loados work just fine.

Last edited by shansmi; 04-16-10 at 08:35 AM.
    04-16-10 08:32 AM
    Kristi,
    I personally like the directions you followed to back up 3rd party apps. I would throw out the old folder you have made already and perform another 3rd party backup right now, if you are going to update your OS now. Things may have changed since the last time you did a backup, so do a fresh one now. Find the folder and I alwasy drag it to my desktop so I can find the dang thing. Then make sure you have done a regular backup. Drag that to the desktop as well. Then you should wipe using bbsak or JL-CMDR.

Does this help you? I am not a mod but I have helped several people re-image...

PS YES delete the ENTIRE folder. It will create another .alx when you do it again!
    Ah, THAT'S the answer I was waiting for. I want to do another back-up cuz I DLed a few new apps which i wanna have back. I did use BBSak i just wasn't sure about the darn folder. I never did a wipe tho but I really want to this time.
    04-16-10 11:09 PM
    Kristzitbi.... Yes you will want to delete all files on your PC with your PIN number as the name from the original back up, then re-back up all of the applications again. that will create a new .alx file along with all new .cod files.

then cut and paste that folder out of the "temp" folder from where it is stored and you have to move the .alx file as well....

move it to the desk top.....

updating your OS will not erase the 3rd party applications if you use the native app loader.....

and no you do not need to wipe prior to installing a OS.... there is no physical proof that it makes anything "better"....

Txs for the respond. I just wanna get rid of the factory staff what the berry came with.
    04-16-10 11:11 PM
    I agree with the above. No need to wipe your device unless you just want to. Now if you are having issues, do a wipe and a clean install of all applications from scratch. If not just use the DM backup for your settings and the cx proc as a backup of your 3rd party applications if something goes wrong. Also keep in mind the loader takes a full backup as well. This is used during the restore process of the upgrade. It will have "loader" in the name. This backup contains your settings and 3rd party applications.

BTW, BBSAK v1.7 is broken in later OS releases when it comes to reading COD files, creating or installing COD/alx files and backing up your device. Wipe and loados work just fine.

Txs for the respond. I did upgrade my OS in the past, I do regular back-ups. First time I did the 3rd party back-up but then I was too afraid to continue with the wipe. So the entire folder remained on my desktop. Now I have a few more apps to back up but this time hopefully i'll proceed w/ the wipe as well.

P.S. I do have BBSak saved on my PC. When u say it's broken when it comes to reading COD files, creating or installing COD/alx files and backing up your device what do u mean? Can I use it and if so what for? Wipe and re-load but not for back-up?
    04-16-10 11:17 PM
    I wanna thank to ALL of u for the respond. I picked up useful info from every post. I was really stuck cuz without yur help guys I couldn't proceed. I was waiting for a respond. Thanks again
    04-16-10 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD