Hi all,
    I've been a crackberry lurker for awhile now, and continue to be amazed at what a great resource this is!

I'm a UK O2 8900 user visiting my folks in the States for a couple of weeks. I have the full dataplan in the UK, but to avoid roaming data charges, I switched off data services when I arrived yesterday, and planned on using WiFi only while I'm here.

My research here led me to believe I wouldn't get push email or facebook notifications while on WiFi only...so imagine my surprise when push emails and facebook notifications came pouring in when I logged into the airport WiFi network upon arrival!

What's going on? 'Mobile network' is turned off under 'manage connections' and I've turned off data while roaming under 'mobile network'. Am I still somehow connecting to a US service provider?

Under 'services status' is indicates 'WiFi' under BIS and BES, and showing not connected to a mobile network.

I'm confused (and tentatively pleasantly surprised). What's going on?
    Last edited by darksquid; 02-22-09 at 07:30 AM.
    02-22-09 07:26 AM
    Your provider must offer UMA and you must be connecting to your BIS account through the WiFi network.
    02-22-09 12:44 PM
    O2 doens't offer UMA, only Orange in the UK does... so thats actually quite weird
    02-22-09 02:55 PM
    O2 doens't offer UMA, only Orange in the UK does... so thats actually quite weird
    Yea I hear what you are saying but everything the OP is stating points to that being the case.
    02-22-09 10:19 PM
    I have a similar question...

Does push emails get charged as part of your browsing data plan?
    02-23-09 04:36 AM
    Hmm, so it's a mystery then? I've been pleasantly surprised since I got here - this has made me love my wonderful, versatile little phone even more (if that is possible!) Still can't use the weather app or GMaps on WiFi only, but I can live with that!
    a

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 08:08 AM
    Actually, I've just tried GMaps again, and it is working perfectly on WiFi. Woo hoo!

02-23-09 08:11 AM
    I have a similar question...

Does push emails get charged as part of your browsing data plan?
    Yes email is data that counts against your monthly data plan.
    02-23-09 11:32 AM
    The same thing happens to me. I'm also on O2 and when I visit my brother who's only about 20 minutes away I can't get a signal. But I still get emails from Wi-Fi. Can't get any phone calls though.
    02-23-09 12:19 PM
    Hmm, that's a shame. It's odd that O2 doesn't support UMA, when as far as I can tell, it's one of the features that sets this phone apart.

Also, have you noticed any EDGE support on O2 in the UK? I live in Edinburgh, and have never encountered EDGE, only GPRS.

02-23-09 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD