Here's a lock screen that imitates a fingerprint reader... and also works well to prevent accidental unlocking. The idea for this came from an existing app that's been #1 for over a month, but this one works differently, just as cool but more functional since it won't unlock just by being touched in a particular spot. You have to slide across the screen just like ordinary slide-to-unlock apps, but instead of a graphical slider, there are light bars that scan across your finger the opposite way.

This is a promo version that will work for free (no ads) until just after the new year. But it's only being distributed for a short time, before this weekend.

TOUCHSCREEN is REQUIRED ! ! If you install on a non-touch device, you'll have to reset the phone and delete the app.

It's not very large, under 200k. You can click Menu to switch to a battery display, and Escape brings you back to the Earth & Stars background. You can also set a custom background, choose the scaling and whether the fingerprint scanner is overlaid on that or underneath, choose the color of the clock and scanner's light bar to match, etc.

After the promo, it will be available as a free trial in App World, HERE.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 11-13-12 at 10:27 PM.
    11-13-12 08:27 AM
    The AppWorld link provided indicates that the item doesn't exist?
    Unknown item

The requested item does not exist or is not available (EC )
    Error - BlackBerry App World
    11-13-12 10:04 AM
    It's still in the approval process. The direct-download links in the o.p. will give you the version that works free through Jan 1.
    11-13-12 02:59 PM
    It's still in the approval process. The direct-download links in the o.p. will give you the version that works free through Jan 1.
    Ahh. I see. It hasn�t been approved yet. That explains a lot. Thanks!

I understand where to get it and the terms of use. It was explained in the OP.

Forgive me, but I did not recognize the user name, so I was a bit wary of downloading it, but when I saw the author was LSPhone on the download page, I felt comfortable and I had no issues in downloading it.

My observation, suggestions, and requests:
    1) Getting to the settings screen is a bit painful. I may have to swipe 3-4 times to get it to open. Continuously repeating the sliding motion also results in the app freezing, then a battery pull is necessary as I can no longer access my device. I thought there may be a tip that you could provide regarding this, please? Or, at least let me know what I�m doing wrong.
    2) I would like to see a drop box option showing the different examples of selections for the time/date format. Something similar to what you did for the lock delay. Something like 10:00/10:00am-pm/10:00:20am-pm and so on. I would really like the same for the date format. Like an option for a long date such as Tuesday, November 13, 2012.
    3) In the �Non-Locking Apps� section there are many applications that are redundantly listed. Some of them are listed up to 3-5 instances.
    4) Is there a way for you to incorporate a wallpaper changer to use in the back round? Like Shao�s Wallpaper Changer? You provided the ability to select a single wallpaper only, but for people like myself, I would love to be able to rotate my wallies.
    5) I would like to see the addition of the color red for the scanner and date & time.
    6) Although I unchecked the �Activate on Start-Up� option, the check mark returns after backing out of the setting screen and going back in. I do have it set to �Suspend Now� though, so I guess it doesn�t harm anything, but I thought it may be a bug.
    7) I would love to see the battery icon deplete & fill to reflect the percentage. I have not seen any changes as my battery drains. Also, an additional check mark option box to enable battery information text beneath the battery icon. Maybe current percentage, current temperature (with Celsius/Fahrenheit options) etc. Especially time left for device use. To be able to select one or a combination of these would be awesome.
    8) If I leave the lock screen with the battery icon, after the back light times out and the screen goes dark, when I wake the device up again it reverts back to the earth. Is there a way to make the app �remember� the state it was in before the light times out?
    9) I know there was probably a lot of work put into this, but I would really appreciate the removal of the fingerprint on the application icon. I think just the scanner bar would suffice. It is only my personal preference, but that fingerprint is so ugly. Thanks for making an option to remove the animated one from the lock screen!
    10) I know you mentioned file size, but an addition of a locking and unlocking sound (2 distinctive different types of clicks) would be great as an audio confirmation! Would this addition add too much to the file size? I know incorporating audio files can bulk up an app.
    11) I assigned it to QL for easy access to the application, but when called up it is on the settings screen. Can�t get it to be called up as a lock screen. I would also recommend adding a �Fingerprint Lock� selection to the BB menu for easy access instead of hunting for the icon itself. A lot of people don�t use QL (and it doesn�t work) or similar applications.

I truly do not want anyone to be offended. I am assuming feedback was the intentions of offering it for free for only a limited time. These are just my suggestions and they can be taken with a grain of salt. You may not want to invest any additional effort in this, which I would understand. However, I just think that these changes could add real value to the application, and the purchase price can reflect that accordingly.

I�m going to mess with this some more, and if I find anything else I will post it here.
    Thanks for listening.
    11-13-12 09:44 PM
    1. Re. reaching settings: Bug found and fixed. It happened if your finger left the display before the 2nd scan finished.

2. Re. date format: Understand, but there are so many settings already, that I want to avoid presenting the users with too many decisions to make.

3. Re. duplicated in exception selector: Many apps have multiple apps ("entry points") in one module, but don't name them distinctly. Usually the 1st one is the app's icon, but not always. The others are also listed for the sake of listing absolutely everything on the phone, to cover all cases, i.e. for apps that have multiple icons. There might actually be cases where someone needs to add the 2nd or 3rd instance, but not the 1st.

When in doubt, the easiest way is to let the screen lock from inside the app in question, then go the the lock screen's settings and select "Add app in use", that will select the right one.

4. Yes, a wallpaper changer could be done. If this app becomes popular maybe I'll add one.

5. Red and Orange have been added to the colors.

6. Re. Activate checkbox: Please try selecting Check Permissions in the app's menu, maybe it's not been granted permission to save settings.

7. Battery draining/filling and color shifting have been fixed, and lightning bolt added when charging.

8. Display mode (Battery vs. Earth or plain background) is now "sticky".

9. Re. fingerprint: There's already an option to turn it off, at the bottom of the setup page. I'll draw a nicer fingerprint since real ones are ugly.

10. Re. action sounds: AFAIK, It would not be able to follow the current profile unless it used ringtones for sounds, and the sounds would have to be set outside the app, in Options or Profiles. I think it would cause more complaints than we're likely to get by just leaving sounds out.

11. Re. QuickLaunch opening setup rather than the lock screen: Solved.

P.S. thank you for the assistance

edit: the links above now download the updated version.
    Last edited by liquid_metal; 11-14-12 at 06:07 AM.
    11-13-12 11:19 PM
    This took a while to understand how to use. Anyway can you add like notifications to show up on the lockscreen, battery percentage?
    11-14-12 10:55 AM
    The Menu key switches it to a battery display overlaid on the background image.
    11-14-12 05:30 PM
    Sorry I've been away from this thread for a bit...
    Answers are within this quote:
    1. Re. reaching settings: Bug found and fixed. It happened if your finger left the display before the 2nd scan finished.
    Yes! I don't know what you did, but it is fixed! I can easily unlock the device and get into the settings now. Thanks!

2. Re. date format: Understand, but there are so many settings already, that I want to avoid presenting the users with too many decisions to make.
    I understand. However, if this will be the case, I would rather have the long date implemented instead of what is showing now. A complete date of "Saturday, November 17, 2012" seems more finished. IMO

3. Re. duplicated in exception selector: Many apps have multiple apps ("entry points") in one module, but don't name them distinctly. Usually the 1st one is the app's icon, but not always. The others are also listed for the sake of listing absolutely everything on the phone, to cover all cases, i.e. for apps that have multiple icons. There might actually be cases where someone needs to add the 2nd or 3rd instance, but not the 1st.
    -When in doubt, the easiest way is to let the screen lock from inside the app in question, then go the the lock screen's settings and select "Add app in use", that will select the right one.
    Ahh. Gotcha. I learn something new every day! And, yes, I have started to use the "App in use" function for my messages and things to that nature. Much easier that way. Thanks!

4. Yes, a wallpaper changer could be done. If this app becomes popular maybe I'll add one.
    Please, please, pretty please!!! LoL.

5. Red and Orange have been added to the colors.
    You did it again. Thanks!

6. Re. Activate checkbox: Please try selecting Check Permissions in the app's menu, maybe it's not been granted permission to save settings.
    I'm not sure why but the setting is now being retained. I have always had my permissions set to allow. In fact my global settings are set to allow permanently. I don't just download applications from anyone, and there is a core of "old school" developers that I trust. So my permissions are always set that way. Hey, it's working, so no further complaints.

7. Battery draining/filling and color shifting have been fixed, and lightning bolt added when charging.
    Yes this is fixed as well. I've noticed that the battery depletes vertically instead of horizontally. Not a complaint! leave it that way. I like it!!!

8. Display mode (Battery vs. Earth or plain background) is now "sticky".
    Fixed as well. Damn, you're on it!!!

9. Re. fingerprint: There's already an option to turn it off, at the bottom of the setup page. I'll draw a nicer fingerprint since real ones are ugly.
    Yes. I've already had this turned off from day one. LoL. I don't mind having a fingerprint, but maybe think of something more generic, square, shaped and uniform for both the scanner help and main app icon. Yours is a bit "too realistic" and appears to be lopsided, and faded on the edges. Make something like a fake square shaped thumb print or something symetrical. A bit too hard to explain.

10. Re. action sounds: AFAIK, It would not be able to follow the current profile unless it used ringtones for sounds, and the sounds would have to be set outside the app, in Options or Profiles. I think it would cause more complaints than we're likely to get by just leaving sounds out.
    Wow. What a bummer. I was hoping for something similar to PatternLock (Tafasa). It has sounds and nothing to configure in the profiles settings.

11. Re. QuickLaunch opening setup rather than the lock screen: Solved.
    This has also been fixed! This was really important as I didn't want to search for the icon to use it. QL pull it up just fine now!

P.S. thank you for the assistance
    Thanks for the opportunity, Brother!
    This is turning out to be a real nifty little application. Great work!!!
    11-17-12 10:06 PM
    Another thought or two regarding the lock screen...
    I am really hoping that you can incorporate Shao's Wallpaper Changer.
    In addition I would actually love to also see Bellshare's BerryWeather (BeWeather) on the lock screen. Probably in one of the top corners.
    I would also recommend being able to receive email, text, BBM etc. message indicators and show them along the top edge of the lock screen.

Asking too much?
    11-17-12 10:20 PM