Since I dont have data plan in order to use the official Blackberry Protect app, Im considering buying this one so I'm curious about your experiences

Buy Protect - Download Protect - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    10-31-11 04:26 PM
    I use it all the time, even to change devices. Whether it is worth it I suppose depends on what your data plan will cost.

The app's free and superb. My data plan is 29.99/mo. I would not pay 30 bucks a month just to be using BB protect though.

**Edit**. Ooops. Never mind. I thought you meant BlackBerry Protect. Sorry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by southlander; 10-31-11 at 04:31 PM.
    10-31-11 04:29 PM
    Since I dont have data plan in order to use the official Blackberry Protect app, Im considering buying this one so I'm curious about your experiences
    Buy Protect - Download Protect - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    Hmmm. I could be corrected if I am wrong, but I think you need a data plan to even get this application from AppWorld onto your device in the first place, even using WiFi.
    KB17659-Minimum requirements for BlackBerry App World
    Note: In order to use BlackBerry App World over a Wi-Fi� connection, a wireless carrier service plan is required and the BlackBerry smartphone using a Wi-Fi connection must also have an active data connection to the wireless service provider's network when using BlackBerry App World otherwise the error message You do not have sufficient wireless coverage or your connection to the wireless network is turned off is received.
    Also see...
    What do I need a Data Plan for? - BlackBerryFAQ
    KB17678-Common error messages in BlackBerry App World

I also think a data plan would be needed for the call & SMS data to be sent to an email address when I read this from the description...
    Protect Your BlackBerry�!
    Just in case your mobile is stolen you will get a track of the calls made using the mobile and hence can be used to reach that number and get it back. You will know who is using it and what the thief is doing with it. It will enable you to recover your lost phone easily.
    Buy Protect now so that you can protect your BlackBerry!
    Key Features:
    � Tracks and sends the Incoming and Outgoing SMS messages of your BlackBerry
    � Tracks and send the Incoming and Outgoing Call Logs with call duration of your BlackBerry
    � Autostart � Protect starts on its own when the device is restarted.
    � Protect always runs in the background without interfering with any of your other activities.
    Easy Email Relay - Forward all events to your inbox
    � No Recurring monthly cost, just a one time fee.
    � Absolutely safe - The call and sms data is absolutely safe and is directly sent to you as soon as it is received. We do not maintain any copy of the data on our server.
    That last statement worries me because if they in fact DO NOT keep a copy of this data, how can it be retrieved if there is no data plan to access email services.

I have not used this application, and don't know much about it aside from what I am reading. In fact, I never heard of it until this thread. It could possibly work just fine for you without a data plan though. Just not sure.

It would be nice if they offered a free trial to check it out prior to payment.
    Or, maybe you can send an email to the developer first to find out the details.

Hope this helps a bit to make a decision.
    10-31-11 07:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD