Didn't see anything for this when doing a search...

Just wondering if anyone has the tip calculator "Tip 'em!" installed on their device and if they've encountered issues where the app doesn't seem to accept any text input when attempting to enter numerical values?

I purchased this app a couple weeks ago and have never been able to use it because it doesn't seem to want to accept any input in either the "Check Amount" or "Exclude From Tip" fields (I've included a screenshot of the app interface below for reference).

I can select each of the 3 fields bellow which all yield a menu where I can make appropriate changes relevant to the field, but nothing I do seems to work when trying to enter values in either of the first two fields.

Anyone have any thoughts on what might be wrong? I've already tried uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling the app... doesn't seem to make any difference.
    07-17-09 11:08 AM
    Total is $25.00? 10% of that is $2.50 (Just move the decimal one place to the left).

Want 15%? You already know $2.50 is 10% so you divide that by 2 and add it it back on to $2.50. (2.50/2=1.25+2.50=3.75).

Want 20%? You already know $2.50 is 10% so you just multiply it by 2.

This should be pretty simple math to do in your head.

07-17-09 11:20 AM
    Total is $25.00? 10% of that is $2.50 (Just move the decimal one place to the left).

Want 15%? You already know $2.50 is 10% so you divide that by 2 and add it it back on to $2.50. (2.50/2=1.25+2.50=3.75).

Want 20%? You already know $2.50 is 10% so you just multiply it by 2.

This should be pretty simple math to do in your head.

Thanks... and I agree, it is pretty simply math do to on the fly in your head. What I'm primarily interested in is if anyone else is using this app and, like me, if they've encountered similar issues or if it's something isolated to my device?
    07-17-09 12:10 PM
    UPDATE: Thought I'd post the fix for this in the event anyone purchases/downloads the application, runs into the same issue and does a subsequent search within the forums.

Essentially, this is a known problem but the work-around is very simple (as instructed on Tip 'Em! Tip Calculator and Bill Splitter for BlackBerry): You'll need to switch from the full keyboard (assuming this is what you're using and having an issue with) and enable the reduced keyboard by opening the app, pressing the BlackBerry key and selecting "Reduced Keyboard" from the menu. Once changed you should be all set and be able to enter numerical values in the applicable fields as needed.

Of note is that, while suitable and accomplishes the task at hand, this really is just a work-around and not true, a bona fide fix.

Doing this alters the keyboard format across all the applications where a keyboard is used, including email, sms and mms - you'll need to change the keyboard format back to full.
    Last edited by grgiwoyna; 07-22-09 at 05:33 PM.
    07-22-09 05:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD