Hello I am using an unlocked Blackberry Storm 9530 on T-mobile service. I installed both Yahoo and AIM messenger apps on my phone but they dont seem to work. They both have the same problem where i try to log in on the log in screen and it just keeps trying to connect. Now I dont have internet subscription on my service plan but i know that you do not need internet to access instant messenger apps. Is there some sort of setting that i do not have on or is it another issue. Thanks.
    09-24-09 04:50 PM
    they use data correct? So one would assume you need to have the data on your plan
    09-24-09 05:00 PM
    they use data correct? So one would assume you need to have the data on your plan
    Well if you are referring to a data/internet subscription I dont have one but when i put my sim card in my other phone which is a Motorola Razor, yahoo and aim messenger works. I think it runs with the text messaging service.
    09-24-09 05:39 PM
    Don't see how they would work without data. Even non smart phones have internet access. You had to have been using some sort of data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 06:05 PM
    Don't see how they would work without data. Even non smart phones have internet access. You had to have been using some sort of data.

As I said earlier I do not have internet access subscription on my phone plan but I can use Yahoo messenger on my Motorola phone. What sort of data could I have been using? I really need help with this issue thanks.
    09-24-09 06:23 PM
    As Paul and hook said, with BB the IM apps use data for access. You won't be able to use the apps much like most apps that use data, e.g. Google Maps, unless you have a data plan. That's one reason why a data plan must be purchased when purchased from the carrier.

One way you could try is search the forums for Blackberry without BIS, or for a thread that was recently created here

Edit: I recall being able to IM when I was on my Samsung with AT&T, but don't recall if I've ever purchased a data plan with them. Either way, the BB is on a different "type" of service or its software is written differently that the IM apps use data.
    Last edited by Stormified; 09-24-09 at 06:41 PM.
    09-24-09 06:33 PM
    As I said earlier I do not have internet access subscription on my phone plan but I can use Yahoo messenger on my Motorola phone. What sort of data could I have been using? I really need help with this issue thanks.
    This isn't a razr, now is it. It uses data. You want to you data features, get a data plan.
    09-24-09 06:40 PM
    Data plan a must ! Blackberries use something called service books , in order to get the service books for any im client , you must have some sort of data plan. T-Mobile will be more than able to scam you ..eh .. I mean help you with a great data plan ! Call and ask them for their plans .

09-24-09 07:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD