I just downloaded POYNT, it looks like a great app. From what I can tell from other posts and my own phone ( Curve 8330), it looks like the GPS won't work... I went to options > advanced options >GPS services > "Location on"

Just wanted to confirm with someone out there... Did Verizon disable the GPS ?

It looks like I can still use the cell phone towers to search for local results, but turn by turn navigation to the destination would be great.

thanks for any thoughts.
    05-22-09 06:04 PM
    You're limited to BB Maps and VZ Navigator on Verizon.

What OS version are you running and does BB Maps work?

Options/About third line down.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 06:21 PM
    Yes, Verizon has locked the GPS to VZ Nav and BB Maps.

Your options for turn by turn GPS is to pay $10 a month for VZ Nav or buy a GPS bluetooth puck so you can use 3rd party GPS apps on your Verizon 8330.
    05-22-09 06:31 PM
    You're limited to BB Maps and VZ Navigator on Verizon.

What OS version are you running and does BB Maps work?

Options/About third line down.

thanks, guys. I am on OS 4.5, but it looks like VZW blocks the GPS, that's crap. Oh, well. The app. still works fine by using cell towers to find the current location, etc.
    05-22-09 09:05 PM
    a quick question with Poynt.....

when i use it to locate restaurants/theatres/shops etc....does it use my gps and does this rack up any extra charges on my bill?

my bberry is a curve 8330 on bell mobility and i have 500mb of usage per month. i know to use GPS Nav is extra, but I don't use it....and really i have no idea how to since i don't drive a car.

thanks in advance for your answers!
    05-31-09 10:48 AM
    thanks, guys. I am on OS 4.5, but it looks like VZW blocks the GPS, that's crap. Oh, well. The app. still works fine by using cell towers to find the current location, etc.
    VZW doesn't block GPS, it just limits use to BlackBerry Maps and if you want turn-by-turn and full-featured GPS, you need to sign up for VZ Navigator. Either way, if you set GPS Services=Location On, it uses actual GPS signals, not cell tower locations.

05-31-09 11:05 AM
    VZW doesn't block GPS, it just limits use to BlackBerry Maps and if you want turn-by-turn and full-featured GPS, you need to sign up for VZ Navigator. Either way, if you set GPS Services=Location On, it uses actual GPS signals, not cell tower locations.
    Well crap, pretty sure everyone would consider that blocking. Wow, they allow 1 application to use it, and block the rest.
    05-31-09 11:07 AM
    Well crap, pretty sure everyone would consider that blocking. Wow, they allow 1 application to use it, and block the rest.
    True enough and a source of great dissatisfaction in these forums, But I was responding to the cell tower vs GPS satellite signal comment - VZW does not block the use of GPS signals nor force the use of tower triangulation.

05-31-09 11:13 AM
    is poynt the best application to find numbers around the area for restuarants and stuff?
    05-31-09 03:45 PM
    is poynt the best application to find numbers around the area for restuarants and stuff?
    I just use google free 411 1-800-466-4411
    05-31-09 03:47 PM
    True enough and a source of great dissatisfaction in these forums, But I was responding to the cell tower vs GPS satellite signal comment - VZW does not block the use of GPS signals nor force the use of tower triangulation.

thanks for the clarification jbeachy....makes sense. Regarding VZ Navigator, I am not going to pay extra for GPS, which is what VZW would like, I am sure. I have a TomTom GPS for my car. It seems like we get nickle and dimed a lot already for our phone services.

thanks again for the clarification.
    05-31-09 06:39 PM
    Best one i've found by far...I find myself using Poynt fairly regularly...I used it with Google Maps as well and it was pretty nice (although the lack of GPS is a bummer)

Still...Even when I had telenav on my Sprint phone's I rarely used it...I'd rather have a good app for finding info like Poynt than an ok app for GPS
    05-31-09 06:48 PM
    Hmmm. I am on the Storm and use Poynt and Google Maps. The apps pinpoint my GPS location very well.
    05-31-09 07:26 PM
    Hmmm. I am on the Storm and use Poynt and Google Maps. The apps pinpoint my GPS location very well.
    GPS isn't restricted on the storm. Only on the 8330 at this point...Does anyone know if updating the OS to the .131 Sprint OS would fix this issue?
    05-31-09 08:25 PM
    I use live search mobile works great I didnt like poynt that much

And remember the GPS wasnt unlocked on Curve at all until Nov of last year. You could only use VZ Navigator up until that point.
    06-01-09 09:59 AM
    How are you able to get the cell tower location to work? I've had no luck
    06-06-09 08:59 PM
    Fire up BB maps and get a lock on GPS then switch app to poynt.. it works on mine just fine. no need to pay $10 a month when there is a simple and free workaround. This worked for me when I was on Alltel and they blocked everything except telenav. Updated my OS and poof I got BBmaps to lock in and was able to get poynt, GPSed, and a few others to lock in as well as long as BBmaps got a lock first. Google maps was still flaky on getting a lock though..

This method was tested with .131, .138, and .160 and it works.. at least for me
    06-06-09 11:09 PM
    How are you able to get the cell tower location to work? I've had no luck
    cdf3 - I was mistaken in my earlier post. I guess Poynt uses GPS to find your location, not cell towers - it just won"t give you turn by turn directions unless you subscribe to VZ Navigator ( if you have VZW). Select 'map my location' and it should correctly indentify wherever you are. Then you can choose 'poynt from here' to do a search. Hope that helps.
    06-07-09 04:00 PM
    cdf3 - I was mistaken in my earlier post. I guess Poynt uses GPS to find your location, not cell towers - it just won"t give you turn by turn directions unless you subscribe to VZ Navigator ( if you have VZW). Select 'map my location' and it should correctly indentify wherever you are. Then you can choose 'poynt from here' to do a search. Hope that helps.
    That will not work on my VZW 8330....I have tried several times...It actually did work on the previous version of Poynt however...Can't figure out why updating made it not work
    06-07-09 07:11 PM
    GPS isn't restricted on the storm. Only on the 8330 at this point...Does anyone know if updating the OS to the .131 Sprint OS would fix this issue?
    It would not fix it.

The issue here is that Verizon "blocks" access to their location assistance database which is required for Assisted GPS which is all the 8130, 8330 and 8830 support. The 9530 Storm has a different chipset that also supports autonomous GPS which is why 3rd party apps work fine with it.

There were apparently a few 8330's made for Verizon with a chipset that supported autonomous GPS when the regular one out of stock. These 8330's are able to use apps like Poynt, Google Maps, Amaze, Nav4all etc with actual GPS data just like the Storm.
    06-08-09 02:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD