Hello,

I was wondering if Poynt was allowed on VZW with aGPS phones? I really hope so, this is something that I would use constantly. I intend to get the Tour once it drops, but it only has aGPS.

Thanks

-Syco54645
    06-01-09 09:53 AM
    Hello,

I was wondering if Poynt was allowed on VZW with aGPS phones? I really hope so, this is something that I would use constantly. I intend to get the Tour once it drops, but it only has aGPS.

Thanks

-Syco54645
    Not sure myself and others understand the statement "only has aGPS"...

aGPS is basically GPS but with the added benefit of assistance from the cell tower along with normal GPS Satallite locating. The reason it doesn't work on VZW 8330's is because VZW locks out the gps use on those phones, if they decide in the tour to do the same, you will have the same limitations, but if they dont decide to do it then yes it will work.

Poynt looks to be the same as Windows Live Search, Telnav search, beyond411, and google mobile app..
    06-01-09 10:07 AM

aGPS is basically GPS but with the added benefit of assistance from the cell tower along with normal GPS Satallite locating. The reason it doesn't work on VZW 8330's is because VZW locks out the gps use on those phones, if they decide in the tour to do the same, you will have the same limitations, but if they dont decide to do it then yes it will work.

Poynt looks to be the same as Windows Live Search, Telnav search, beyond411, and google mobile app..
    I recall reading that VZW is not going to lock the GPS anymore, however they will still lock aGPS. aGPS is locked on the Storm, but GPS apps (like Poynt) work using standard GPS location.
    06-01-09 10:19 AM

I thought that with aGPS they were locking everything but bbmaps and a few others. Google maps was locked down iirc. Maybe I am way off with the info that I have read.
    06-01-09 10:36 AM
    I thought that with aGPS they were locking everything but bbmaps and a few others. Google maps was locked down iirc. Maybe I am way off with the info that I have read.
    Truthfully speculation doesnt really work in this case. It is a pretty much wait till the tour is released and see what they do. No one knew they were going to lock GPS (not just aGPS but GPS altogether) in the 8330 curve until they did it. From talks with twinx2dad the hardware between the sprint and verizon 8330 is identical. If you put a verizon 8330 on the sprint network (actually register esn with sprint) then the GPS works great, but if you put a sprint 8330 on the verizon network (once against register esn with verizon) GPS stops working. So it all depends on what verizon decides to do in the end, no matter of what they might say or might imply matters, just gotta wait and see...
    06-01-09 10:42 AM
    I thought that they had agreed to unlock GPS across the board for all blackberries in the same way which was why I was asking. Figured it would be the same.
    06-01-09 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD