OK, I'm really confused about this app. I know people rave about it and it gets high reviews. I personally don't see what's so great about it. Don't get me wrong - I am not bashing it; instead I want to see what I'm missing because I feel like I'm doing something wrong and am missing out.

I've installed it many times, tried it, but eventually end up deleting it. At its most basic level, I expect to be able to search for phone numbers of business in proximity to my location. I just can't get it to work reliably. For example, I search for a Dominick's grocery store nearby. It returns various locations and shows them on a map. I select the one nearby, but the phone number is often for a store in another town far away (despite Poynt's listing for the nearby location). The phone number just doesn't match the map results.

Also, map directions are ok, but I have much better luck using ATT Navigator. I realize Navigator is expensive, but I justify that cost because it works much better for me than Poynt.

Maybe having a Torch allows me to get the info I seek easier than in other devices. If I want a phone number, its always faster to simply google it than to go through Poynt. Maybe Poynt is a better option for devices that aren't as useful for navigating the web (like my old Curve 8351i)?

Again, I'm not here to bash Poynt - its a great concept and I want to see it work. I'm just curious why I don't feel the love for it that others seem to.
    01-28-11 09:16 AM
    Altarocks, all I can say is that different folks like different apps. The main reasons we see why people like Poynt (based on reviews) is that it is simple to use and for the majority of users offer accurate results. There are always areas for improvement and we strive to better our product whether that is more features in the product and/or more and accurate data from our partners. If you want to contact me personally about incorrect listings in your area, I will work with our data provider to get them corrected. Btw... we also partner with Telenav (producers of ATT Navigator), so you could search for listings in Poynt and use your ATT Navigator for routing if you prefer that routing app versus BlackBerry or Google routes.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Tony
    Altarocks likes this.
    01-28-11 12:24 PM
    Thanks for the response Tony. I hope I didn't come off sounding negative. Based on the huge number of great reviews it works fantastic for a lot of people. I'm a believer in supporting free apps and certainly don't want to steer others away from trying it. I'll give it another shot and would be happy to share any incorrect listings I find.
    01-28-11 12:36 PM
    It's worked pretty well for me. I've used it to find restaurants nearby, get phone #s, buy movie tickets. I dig it. I don't use it too often, but when I do, it's handy.
    01-28-11 12:47 PM
    Poynt really came in handy for me yesterday. I was headed to a job interview and I searched for the company. Using the map, it brought me right to the company's front door.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-11 12:51 PM
    My two key uses of it:

1) Finding what movies are playing at my favorite theaters, and the ability to get the trailers for every movie listed

2) Get the best gas prices at stations near me, selecting in, and then getting directions mapped out.
    01-28-11 01:20 PM
    It works well for me. I use to find restaurants, find people and events you name it. It's a handy app to have.
    01-28-11 01:39 PM
    I use Poynt primarily for three things:

- Gas prices - There are 5 stations near my office, and they often have different prices. From what I understand, Poynt uses credit card transaction data to automatically update prices rather than relying on user reports. I've found it very accurate.

- Reverse lookup - From the Call Log, I can choose any phone number I don't recognize and do a reverse lookup using Poynt.

- Restaurants - Used mostly when I'm traveling, but between Poynt, Urbanspoon and Google Maps, it's easy to find something nearby and get directions there.

The user interface look, animations, deep integration into the phone and OS, and overall polish add to its appeal IMO.

*EDIT* I should also mention that I always want to reward developers that are as committed to BlackBerry development and continuous improvements/updates as Poynt is.
    01-28-11 02:56 PM
    We were out of town on vacation and my kids were starving. My Garmin found squat, Poynt found a ton of stuff around us! That in itself makes it worth it!
    01-28-11 03:00 PM
    Sounds like Poynt is connecting via cell tower rather then gps location. In which case searches of stores by range will be off.
    01-28-11 08:23 PM
    Def one app I cannot do with out. I use it on a reg to find business phone numbers/add, reverse look up and movie listings.
    01-28-11 08:37 PM
    I tried it and thought it was ok, but it seems like I do everything it provides already with other apps, so I just could never get into the habit of using it.

01-28-11 08:45 PM
    I use the Weather function in it based on GPS locations, as well. Since I'm on the road 90% of the time, an instant reference guide and locating things I may need nearby comes in very handy. I delated 3 other apps after I started using Poynt, and it has worked very nicely for me.

01-28-11 09:35 PM
    IMO one of the most useful well written apps I have used. Gas prices, movies, adding contacts to address book without putting in anything but a name. Tres cool.

Have not used Events nor that interested in what it shows but other might like that feature.

01-29-11 02:48 AM
    Just last night my wife mentioned that she was looking for a shoe repair store.
    After she went to sleep, I looked up "shoe repair (my zipcode)" and a list popped up begining with the nearest one. I clikced on one and displayed a map.
    Then I was able to email the address to her.

Nice app.
    01-29-11 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD