Poynt on my 8530 (VZW .734 OS) has stopped finding my location via cell-site when I disable GPS. It's as if the cell-site location function is not even there. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm in a strong 3G area and Poynt used to always find my location (within xxx feet) via cell-site if I disabled GPS. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Poynt, battery pulls, etc.

Thanks.

P.S. The cell-site location function in Google Maps still works, but not Poynt.
    Last edited by fairtomiddlin; 07-23-10 at 03:49 PM.
    07-23-10 03:44 PM
    I've had the same problem. I went through a host of changes trying to fix the problem. I finally got my Poynt to work by using the GPS. Still don't know why the "cell-site" feature went away. I did email POYNT. Haven't heard from them yet.
    07-23-10 10:32 PM
    Hey folks!

Thanks for posting on the forums, and sorry we haven't replied to you individually. It sounds like you may be experiencing a problem reported by a number of other users over the past few days.

As you may be aware, Poynt will revert to a less accurate cell-site lock when GPS coordinates are unavailable. However, we are experiencing some interference with the app's ability to get a cell-site auto-locate at the moment. Our development team is aware of the issue, and it is a top priority to get this resolved.

We would appreciate your assistance in tracking down the cause of this issue. Please let us know your device PIN, which you can get by composing a blank email, typing "mypin" in the subject body, and hitting Enter (feel free to email us at "[email protected]").

Also please let us know any Service Book records you have which are identified as [LbsConfig]. To do this, from your device's main screen, select Options -> Advanced Options -> Service Book.

There will be a bunch of different items in there like:

MMS Client [MMS]
    BlackBerry Maps [LbsConfig]

We want to know any records that are listed as "[LbsConfig]".

We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please remember that if you are unable to get your location automatically detected, you can still manually enter a street address, a zip code or landmark as a favorite search location and search from there. Just click the Location Bar at the top of your screen and select "New Search Location".

Thanks in advance for the help, and enjoy your day!

The Poynt Support Team
    07-26-10 04:23 PM
    Hey folks!

Thanks for posting on the forums, and sorry we haven't replied to you individually. It sounds like you may be experiencing a problem reported by a number of other users over the past few days.

As you may be aware, Poynt will revert to a less accurate cell-site lock when GPS coordinates are unavailable. However, we are experiencing some interference with the app's ability to get a cell-site auto-locate at the moment. Our development team is aware of the issue, and it is a top priority to get this resolved.

We would appreciate your assistance in tracking down the cause of this issue. Please let us know your device PIN, which you can get by composing a blank email, typing "mypin" in the subject body, and hitting Enter (feel free to email us at "[email protected]").

Also please let us know any Service Book records you have which are identified as [LbsConfig]. To do this, from your device's main screen, select Options -> Advanced Options -> Service Book.

There will be a bunch of different items in there like:

MMS Client [MMS]
    BlackBerry Maps [LbsConfig]

We want to know any records that are listed as "[LbsConfig]".

We apologize for the inconvenience and are working to remedy the situation as soon as possible.

In the meantime, please remember that if you are unable to get your location automatically detected, you can still manually enter a street address, a zip code or landmark as a favorite search location and search from there. Just click the Location Bar at the top of your screen and select "New Search Location".

Thanks in advance for the help, and enjoy your day!

The Poynt Support Team
    07-26-10 04:25 PM
    I'm having the same issue with my non-gps equipped 8220, it seems to have started at some point within the last week. I've pulled the battery, reinstalled Poynt & all permissions are set to "allow". Poynt still won't connect with the nearest cell tower. I've PM'd you the info you requested.

Indecently I've never been able to get Poynt to work while I was connected to wi-fi either.
    07-27-10 05:48 PM
    Don't know what happened, but Poynt is once again functioning properly by locking in on my cell-site location when GPS is turned off.
    07-29-10 08:54 AM
    Ditto. Of course, it could be coincidental, but mine seems much snappier to lock onto cell after recognizing the GPS is off.

So assuming Poynt made a change, what did they do on their end that makes it work on our end better? Don, would love to know what the "fix" was. And thanks for being part of Crackberry and offering up info herein. Much appreciated!
    07-29-10 09:10 AM
    Same here, as I noticed that Poynt locks on to a cell site instead of GPS. I fiddled with my GPS settings on my Tour as Poynt wouldn't locate via GPS, then found that it "worked" again but thru the cell site. The input from Don is much appreciated.
    07-29-10 11:33 AM
    Tried a few more times today in various locations within my work building and outside. Locked onto cell site every time! Yay!
    07-29-10 12:56 PM
    I'm back up & running as well.
    07-29-10 05:22 PM
    Working for me now too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-10 05:49 PM
    I have to type in a zip code before it will work.
    07-29-10 06:53 PM
    How do you get it to default to a cell site location?
    07-31-10 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD