Hi guys, I've finally got around to installing Poynt on my Bold, but I've got a little issue with it - when I go to the "Map It!" page and select to look at "my location" it uses the GPS and shows exactly where I am, however when I'm on the main page it only seems to locate "Cell-Site location" which is miles from where I am at present. I can click on that box and it says "Click here to use your GPS location", but selecting it doesn't seem to change the value, and it is recommending restaurants that are 20 miles away from where I really am instead of ones just down the road (they do appear, but a long way down the list and it says they are about 10 miles from where I am)

Is this a problem with Poynt, or am I doing something wrong (I'm based in the UK if that makes any difference)

Thanks.
    02-23-10 04:17 PM
    Hey dance,

Poynt will use your cell-site location until your gps chip can get a lock, then Poynt will use your gps location instead. It can take up to 2 minutes to get a lock under very poor conditions (like bad line-of-sight), but in most cases you can expect it to be in the 20-30 second range. In the best case it can take as little as 5 seconds.

Other factors may be your device capabilities, gps settings, and app permissions. You can get detailed instructions on how to remedy most GPS related issues by clicking on the feedback feature in the menu within Poynt (press the BB key).
    02-23-10 04:35 PM
    Cell site location is an "average" location. So it normal to get some position error. Cell site location will be ok to find restaurants or business around you, but for mapping wait a precise position(green icon in the right top corner)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-10 04:38 PM
    Wow, quick answers - thanks guys. Looks like it's not making the GPS connection then because I'm just seeing a blue circle in the top right. I'm in the house now which may explain why it can't find it - but it's a bit weird because the "My location" one works fine (unless that is some residual memory from last time it had a GPS signal)

Edit: Just stood outside and stopped and started Poynt again, this time it went straight to green and had the location exactly right, so the My Location one must have just been in memory somehow. Thanks again for the help.
    Last edited by dancelikeamonkey; 02-23-10 at 05:03 PM.
    02-23-10 04:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD