Hi Crackberry nation,
    I've noticed a few posts on this issue but no solutions yet. I installed Poynt on my Storm 2 9550 last week. I was getting a full day's use out of my battery no problem before that - losing 2-5% of battery charge per hour according to the BatteryPlus logs. But now, every time I use Poynt, my battery charge nosedives - losing 10-12% charge/hour even when not using the device. Might get 3-4 hours out of it after using Poynt once during the day. I wouldn't say I'm an experienced blackberry user but I'm also not a noob. I know enough to close apps rather than back out of them, and after I close Poynt it doesn't show it in the running apps list, so I'm assuming it shuts down. But why does the battery drain continue? I can still go a full day on a battery charge if I don't use Poynt, but use it once, and the battery charge nosedives like a kamakaze. I've found that a battery pull (Quickpull actually) stops the nosedive, but I don't want to have to do that every time I use Poynt.
    My best guess is that the GPS doesn't turn off after the app closes, but I don't know how to tell if it's on. GPS doesn't appear to be on if I go to Google or Blackberry maps, but I've got no other hypotheses here. Anyone help a fellow crackberry user out? thanks.
    04-28-10 07:17 PM
    Hard call. Have you actually pulled the battery? Give that a shot.
    04-28-10 07:59 PM
    I don't think it is POYNT I don't have this problem and I have had POYNT for a decent amount of time now & just installed the update the other day.
    04-29-10 12:54 PM
    I know enough to close apps rather than back out of them, and after I close Poynt it doesn't show it in the running apps list, so I'm assuming it shuts down. But why does the battery drain continue?
    OK. I don't have a Storm, but I think there is not much difference in the options. With that said, Since the last 2 updates, Poynt will close out, and will not run in the backround (even using the escape key on the 9700). I would tend to think that the battery drain is from the other applications that Poynt calls up while in use, such as Google/BB maps, as well as the native browser. Closing Poynt does not close the mapping applications it called into use. Also you could have continuous battery drain from being on a dynamic web page on your browser. Just because the browser shows in the app switcher at all times does not mean it is actually open. And the reverse is true, so just because you think that you have closed it out, it actually needs to have been "escaped" from, as opposed to hitting the red end key.

I can still go a full day on a battery charge if I don't use Poynt, but use it once, and the battery charge nosedives like a kamakaze. I've found that a battery pull (Quickpull actually) stops the nosedive, but I don't want to have to do that every time I use Poynt.
    As stated previously, try a "hard reset", meaning to remove your battery from the device, wait a minute, and put it back in. This should be the first step in attempting to fix any problem. Reset applications do not give the inner boards/capacitors and such time to fully discharge the system, where any corruption can be fixed upon reboot with freshly pushed service books.

My best guess is that the GPS doesn't turn off after the app closes, but I don't know how to tell if it's on.
    You can tell if your GPS is set to on by going into Options-> Advanced Options->GPS. From there You can see your settings. When not in use, you will see the coordinates having zero values. When called upon you will then see the numerical values. Many may not know, but when GPS is in use (like a BerryWeather update), this page actually becomes dynamic (you can see values changing), and after the data is received, it returns to a zero value again, unless there is continuous use (like a GPS mapping program).

GPS doesn't appear to be on if I go to Google or Blackberry maps, but I've got no other hypotheses here. Anyone help a fellow crackberry user out? thanks.
    FYI, if you open Google/BB maps, it is automatically attempting to use the GPS/Cell location ID's to obtain a fix, so if it is open, it is using this data (or attempting to). If it is not getting this data, again check your GPS options to see what is going on.

Poynt is a great app! I think your problem is obviously there, or you would not have posted here, but I don't believe it is the cause.

Hope this helps
    Brad
    04-29-10 01:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD