I just downloaded the new version of Poynt from AppWorld and love it. You can now use Google Maps for navigation instead of BBMaps. I'm happy since I've never been able to get BBMaps to work right.
    09-07-10 10:22 AM
    Hm, I see no update. Still 1.5.4.12 for me!
    09-07-10 10:32 AM
    i believe if you go on the website for poynt...you can get it form there
    09-07-10 10:35 AM
    Hm, I see no update. Still 1.5.4.12 for me!
    I got the notification from AppWorld half an hour ago so maybe you'll get it soon. If not, check AppWorld.
    09-07-10 10:35 AM
    i believe if you go on the website for poynt...you can get it form there
    Still 1.5.4.12 at m.poynt.com too.
    09-07-10 10:44 AM
    downloading it now should be great having google maps
    09-07-10 10:48 AM
    Seems to be available now.
    09-07-10 10:58 AM
    There we go, it's available on AppWorld now. I actually needed to do an ALT+RST on AppWorld to get the upgrade to show up.
    09-07-10 11:13 AM
    It's really odd to see it available on appworld before its even available on m.poynt.com.
    09-07-10 11:20 AM
    It's really odd to see it available on appworld before its even available on m.poynt.com.
    Right . . . I had to do ALT+RST while in the search result foy Poynt to get it to show.
    09-07-10 11:44 AM
    Anyone notice any changes? Weren't you able to use GMaps with v1.5? I'm still waiting for the ota because, f*ck app world.
    09-07-10 11:49 AM
    U can also open app world, go to myworld and when it shows the list of your apps click on poynt and the upgrade option is there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 11:49 AM
    I see the new addition... If I set it to Google Maps Mobile, return, and save. Go back and look it is back to Blackberry Map. Does not appear to be saving.
    09-07-10 11:52 AM
    No update from either place.
    09-07-10 11:56 AM
    ALT-RST and it is available on AppWorld. Not poynt.com at the moment.

I just downloaded the new version of Poynt from AppWorld and love it. You can now use Google Maps for navigation instead of BBMaps. I'm happy since I've never been able to get BBMaps to work right.
    You can choose Google Maps for "Mapping," not for "Navigation."
    09-07-10 12:27 PM
    On my BB on Verizon I can get the update, on my BB on ATT nada.
    09-07-10 12:33 PM
    I did Alt R S T -- App World STILL showed 1.5.4.12 -- but I had 1.4.x.x installed, so I said "OK". It started to download (still in App World) and then prompted me to overwrite my existing version with 1.6.0.71 after all.

Seems that this IS the version that App World is offering -- just that their up front version listing doesn't match what's actually being downloaded from their server.

Downloading as I type this...

In short -- App World still needs to be cleaned up. Still not clean or consistent. Still shows many of my apps as "uninstalled" even through they're up and running on my 8900. I don't understand why it's so hard for a company with RIM's resources to simply clean this up and make it really polished for the millions of users out there who rely on this. I've been a dedicated BB user for years, have had half a dozen of these (different models), and have set up several organizations with many, many BB's...so I do appreciate what they're worth. Just can't understand why RIM drops the ball on something like this...
    Last edited by vinmontRD; 09-07-10 at 12:47 PM.
    09-07-10 12:43 PM
    Anyone notice any changes? Weren't you able to use GMaps with v1.5? I'm still waiting for the ota because, f*ck app world.
    I think you're right about that. I'm pretty sure that older versions of Poynt allowed you to choose Google Maps for navi.
    09-07-10 12:45 PM
    ALT-RST and it is available on AppWorld. Not poynt.com at the moment.

You can choose Google Maps for "Mapping," not for "Navigation."
    Looks like you can choose either one, but Google Maps doesn't "stick" for Navigation. Try setting it as a choice -- no problem, but when you come back into Options, if your experience is the same as mine you'll see that Navigation is still set to BB Maps -- not Google Maps.
    09-07-10 12:59 PM
    Looks like you can choose either one, but Google Maps doesn't "stick" for Navigation. Try setting it as a choice -- no problem, but when you come back into Options, if your experience is the same as mine you'll see that Navigation is still set to BB Maps -- not Google Maps.
    Odd. Google Maps is not even a choice for me in "Navigation."
    09-07-10 01:03 PM
    Its not SHOWING Google Maps after setting it for navi but if u map a route it actually opens Google Maps foo the navigation

09-07-10 01:06 PM
    Odd. Google Maps is not even a choice for me in "Navigation."
    What version of Google Maps do you have installed? (latest = 4.4.0)

Do you have all permissions for Google Maps set to Allow? (not sure if necessary, but I do that).
    09-07-10 01:11 PM
    Its not SHOWING Google Maps after setting it for navi but if u map a route it actually opens Google Maps foo the navigation

Yes indeed! I just looked up a local business, told Poynt to map the route, and it came up in Google Maps.

Sadly, though, this is one of the places where the Android version outstrips my 8900 version of Google Maps. On Android, my brother gets voice prompts -- on my 8900 version (4.4.0), I'm just seeing tiny text prompts on my screen. Oh well... Much as I love my 8900, I increasingly convinced I'm destined for a larger/touch screen, higher res, and quite possibly Android sometime in the next few months...
    09-07-10 01:16 PM
    App World still needs to be cleaned up. Still not clean or consistent. Still shows many of my apps as "uninstalled" even through they're up and running on my 8900.
    A little off-topic, but if you download an app with App World and then update it some other way (like through the CB Store, the developer's website, or an OTA link), then App World will consider it Uninstalled.

Example: I got WhatsApp from App World, but now that I'm running a higher beta version from their site, App World says WhatsApp is Uninstalled.

Anyway, totally agree that App World needs a clean-up and better updating. Only pointing this out if you didn't know.
    09-07-10 01:21 PM
    A little off-topic, but if you download an app with App World and then update it some other way (like through the CB Store, the developer's website, or an OTA link), then App World will consider it Uninstalled.

Example: I got WhatsApp from App World, but now that I'm running a higher beta version from their site, App World says WhatsApp is Uninstalled.

Anyway, totally agree that App World needs a clean-up and better updating. Only pointing this out if you didn't know.
    Thanks -- I haven't kept track of the free apps I update in different ways, so it's quite possible this explains what I'm seeing re: "uninstalled apps". Appreciate the insight.

Would be nice, of course, if RIM ever recognizes that this is a classic case of a "customer-facing" product that helps determine customer response to their product line and treats it accordingly...

- Jon

09-07-10 01:30 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD