I am running the latest VZW's 9630 firmware on my MTS Tour and everything is great except that I cannot tether. When I try to tether, it seems there are settings within the firmware that define it as VZW and I am unable to connect using my carrier.

Does anyone know of a way to make this work? This is the one and only thing that does not work. This firmware is so much better than the old original OS5 that MTS offerred plus it enables GPS on google maps.

I will live without before going back but thought I'd throw the question out there.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    09-27-10 10:55 AM
    have you actually gotten a warning that its due to a vzw OS? As it probably has nothing to do with your OS, but your carrier might have disabled tethering
    10-01-10 12:09 AM
    I am running the latest VZW's 9630 firmware on my MTS Tour and everything is great except that I cannot tether. When I try to tether, it seems there are settings within the firmware that define it as VZW and I am unable to connect using my carrier.

Does anyone know of a way to make this work? This is the one and only thing that does not work. This firmware is so much better than the old original OS5 that MTS offerred plus it enables GPS on google maps.

I will live without before going back but thought I'd throw the question out there.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
    Were you able to tether before you switched firmware? What desktop manager are you using? That may need to be upgraded for thisi to work with the newer OS.

If that doesn't help, let's try putting it back to the old software to verify it works again.
    10-01-10 07:20 AM
    Thanks for the replies...

Tethering definitely works with the carrier's stock OS...there's a few of us who have gone with the VZW firmware because it is simply better but those who have the VZW firmware cannot tether and those who use the MTS firmware can.

I have tried Desktop software 5 and current version of 6 as well as MTS's dialer software which I have used for tethering in the past.

There has to be something within the firmware that is defining the tethering ability...just not sure where.
    10-03-10 11:14 PM
    Have you tried resending your service books?

btw GPS should always work imo when you have BIS
    10-05-10 12:44 PM
    I haven't specifically tried re-sending service books but after resending, I see that it basically affects bis email accounts. As I'm on a BES server, I'll have to have my BES admin resend my service books tomorrow as well although I doubt that will help seeing as activating on BES should have already taken care of that.

As for GPS, your carrier can enable/disable GPS on you. MTS did not enable GPS on *anything* until earlier this year. It was a big sore spot for a lot of people. They finally enabled it for Blackberry Maps but not Google Maps. Using the VZW firmware does get around this restriction.
    10-05-10 09:36 PM
    Tried re-registering device on MTS network and re-send service books...still no go...

**sigh**
    10-06-10 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD