Hi, I am currently using a Bold and am wandering if it is possible to store applications on the memory card.

Has anyone else found that you can only have 6-7 apps from BB App world?
    Does anyone know if it is possible to store applications on the memory card to allow us to have more?

Thanks

Jackson506
    04-15-09 06:24 AM
    No. Applications must be installed to the device memory.
    04-15-09 06:27 AM
    There is a program that will let you store programs on your card.....but you can't run them from the card so there really is no benefit that I can see. I don't have a Bold (i have a Curve) but i am running Slacker,iheart,flycast,google maps,got2,mara tick and vlingo and I still have 40000000 kb free. You should be able to run more than 6-7 apps. Check the forums for info on freeing up memory. That should help.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 06:34 AM
    Thanks a lot, that does help. Dont you think you should be able to run them from the card, it desnt make sense to me to not have mem that will allow for many apps. although, i guess, how many do you really need.
    Ill check it out, thanks for your help....by the way, vlingo is great!
    04-15-09 06:41 AM
    Thanks a lot, that does help. Dont you think you should be able to run them from the card, it desnt make sense to me to not have mem that will allow for many apps. although, i guess, how many do you really need.
    More than six. The BB is pretty outdated when it comes to that. The competition had 4/8/16 gig worth of internal space for apps.

Hopefully in the future...
    04-15-09 10:24 AM
    The competition had 4/8/16 gig worth of internal space for apps.
    I have wondered about that myself.

Our BlackBerrys have 64 to 256 Mb of addressable memory, that is required for executing applications. SD memory is not addressable, it is serial, like a tape drive.

iPhone Specs:

Memory: 128 MB DRAM
    Storage: 8 GB or 16 GB flash memory
    04-15-09 10:32 AM
    Why the Bold & the Storm 2 of RIM's top devices are limited to 128 is beyond me. All new BBs should have at least 256 (like the 8900) or more.
    04-15-09 11:33 AM
    I agree, pk. Why put the cap and limit the two flagships of the company?
    04-15-09 11:38 AM
    Agreed with the last few sentiments. Apple really killed the expandable memory argument. At least somewhat.
    04-15-09 11:43 AM
    It is a matter of economics.

A few years back, 64 Mb was a substantial investment in Flash Memory and the limit the embedded processor can access.

Bold introduced the next generation processor with a full 32 bit address range. That is enough to address 4 Gb of memory.

The question now is, how much is enough? 64 Mb has been adaqute, just.

128 Mb should be more the adaqute for the majority of uses, but they hedged their best with the 256 Mb 8900.
    04-15-09 11:51 AM
    Just like your computer, you can only run so many programs in MEMORY, but you can STORE lots of things including apps on the HARDRIVE.

If you had to keep all the programs, files, pictures and music in memory on your computer, you'd need to have several gigs of memory just to run the OS.

Yes it would be nice to be able to launch apps from the memory card, but we can't right now, and may never be able to, without a revamp of the BlackBerry OS and how it handles apps in memory, Or RIM opens up their OS to allow people making apps, to use memory better.
    04-15-09 12:33 PM
    When I read the title of this thread I asked myself "Was Jack Haley a better player than Michael Jordan?"
    04-15-09 12:39 PM
    Yes its possible to stores apps on memory card. try Aerize..Google it!!! I store all my apps on my card
    04-15-09 02:27 PM
    Yes its possible to stores apps on memory card. try Aerize..Google it!!! I store all my apps on my card
    Has anyone tried googling aerize? And does it really work?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-15-09 06:29 PM
    Aerize Installer lets you install apps that are stored on you media card to the device memory. They are not installed to, and do not run from the media card.

That said, I have installed, on average, 30-35 apps on my Bold with no memory issues.
    04-15-09 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD