Anybody interested in, or can see the value of, a POP3/IMAP client that bypasses the BIS/BES services and directly connects to a mail server on a predefined interval? The reason I ask is that I've written a background service that downloads emails via POP3 every hour and I've disabled my BIS push mail to see if there is any battery performance increase.....my Storm w/ push mail went 1-2 days w/o a charge, with my polling email service I'm going on 3+ days now w/o a charge. I also think that people who are scamming the phone company and not paying for BIS/BES service would be able to use it to access emails via the integrated mail client (don't know for certain since I'm on VZW). Anyway, if there is enough interest in the app I'll continue it, otherwise I'll add it to my ever growing pile of tech demos.
    07-01-09 01:45 PM
    I'd try it. Do you have screen shots or anything?
    07-01-09 01:59 PM
    Yeah I'll clean it up and post it later, it currently only downloads emails, but basically it integrates into the standard messaging client and fetches the emails in a background process.
    07-01-09 03:07 PM
    Hi
    I was wondering if you had any luck fixing up your program?
    07-07-09 09:05 AM
    I'm definitely interested in this.
    Can you set it to retrieve email as often as you want....say something crazy like every 1 minute?
    If so, this could be an improvement over BIS with respect to other BIS emails (aside from yahoo and gmail) since they take 15 mins to pop.
    07-07-09 11:12 AM
    has this matured into anything i could perhaps try out as yet?
    i'm looking at alternatives to checking my mail without BES/BIS as numb-nuts here are contemplating to ban the service nationwide siting "security" concerns
    08-03-10 03:59 AM
    It sounds like VersaMail that ran on the old Palm OS. That allowed pulled and new or reply emails. I too would be interested.
    B B

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-10 04:21 AM
    yes definitely id be interested in using this service..please post links sooner..all the best and thank you.
    08-04-10 05:58 AM
    There already is a program, LogicMail, that keeps getting better that even supports IMAP. Find it at logicmail.org.
    01-27-12 02:33 PM
    What about memory and battery issues with these apps?
    How does that factor in, please and thank you.
    01-27-12 03:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD