Hello,

I have been having the notorious lag issues that seems to be harassing many of us Torch users. However, I notice 95% of my lag is due to the phone app! Whenever I am done with a phone call, the phone hangs with the "spinning clock"/hour glass showing for about 10s. As a result, I can not do anything with the phone till this phone app lag finishes.

What could cause this specific lag due to the phone app? I do not have any 3rd party phone apps installed (ex: Picture Dialing, etc.). This is a brand new Torch as I returned my original last week due to major phone lag all across the board. I did the normal battery pull daily and memory cleaning. I have 189MB free on the phone. I do memory cleaning daily...sometimes 3x a day.

Any suggestions here??
    03-22-11 07:35 AM
    What OS are you running? 90% of lag issues are fixed with .448 and on up.
    DrNitun likes this.
    03-22-11 07:38 AM
    Hello,

I am running 0.246 as noted above on my signature. You recommend upgrading to the firmware that is not supported by AT&T? I hear that will void the warranty??
    03-22-11 07:46 AM
    Yes I reccomend it as will anyone else here. It will in no way void your warranty. They are OS's from RIM not a third party, therefore their ok with it. Besides of they give you a hassle its easy enough to go back.

I've made a couple warranty claims on my torch and every time they ask me what version of the OS I'm running, when I tell them they just simply say "OK not from us but that's ok", and I make sure to go back to .246 before I send it in.
    03-22-11 08:04 AM
    Hello,

I am running 0.246 as noted above on my signature. You recommend upgrading to the firmware that is not supported by AT&T? I hear that will void the warranty??
    ATT is so slow at offering upgrades to the OS the best solution is a leak or some other carrier official. My phones nearly always run some other OS. Right now .448 is working very well for me. The phone got .337 the first day of purchase. Both are very much better than .246 official. Go for an upgrade. You will not be disappointed.
    DrNitun likes this.
    03-22-11 08:39 AM
    Hello,

Can you point me the link that gives the step-by-step on how to upgrade the OS?? How long does it take? I assume we can back up our phones now and install the backups onto the new OS?
    03-22-11 10:07 AM
    Takes about 30 minutes, and as long as you make a backup using the desktop manager you can reload all the stuff back when done. Only thing to note is any third party app will have to be reloaded and registration codes reentered.

Blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os

Simple process really.
    Backup your device with DM(bbsak app backup if needed), download the OS, install to your pc, navigate to C:/program files(x86 if using a 64bit system)/common files/research in motion/apploader.
    Scroll to the bottom of the page and delete the vendor.xml file, then in that same folder run the loader.exe, then follow the onscreen prompts.

Typically the loader(more commonly called apploader) will make a backup of the device before it starts the upgrade process and will load that backup when done, but it's always a good idea to keep a second backup just in case something goes awry.
    03-22-11 10:23 AM
    Homer1475,

Thanks. I was just about to post that link on this thread. I found it finally.

Thanks again everyone. I will try this now.
    03-22-11 10:27 AM
    Hello,

I downloaded the .exe file for the latest official OS. I double clicked the .exe file and it did install the files correctly I believe. As prompted in the tutorial from the link above, the BlackBerry Desktop Software did open automatically.

Unfortunatately, there was no popup or any notification telling me there is a new OS available for upgrade. After waiting for this automatic popup to appear (10min or so), I decided to click on the Applications tab and in there, it showed the "red star" next to Blackberry OS 6.0 indicating and update is available.

I was not sure if this was the "right update" as there was no indication that it was a .337 version of the OS. I went to see the details by clicking onto the info icon and from what I gather, nothing indicates a .337 version but rather the same .246 version. Is this to be expected? Did I do something wrong?

I am going through the update at the moment so maybe the new OS is indeed being installed. Lets see....
    03-22-11 12:27 PM
    Hello,

So the new phone OS did not install. What could be the issue here? Is my phone suppose to be unlocked from AT&T in order to install versions of the OS?? My current OS got reinstalled (.246). I did get the .337 OS (9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel1165_PL6.4.0.142_A6.0.0.337_Bee line.exe) and looks like this didn't get installed. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Dr.Nitun; 03-22-11 at 01:23 PM.
    03-22-11 01:09 PM
    You have to delete the vendor.xml file in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    03-22-11 01:11 PM
    Papped,

Once I delete this file, I can go ahead with double clicking the file name from my desktop and go through the process?
    03-22-11 01:24 PM
    You shouldn't have to reinstall the OS, just try using the Desktop Manager to reload the OS.

Personally, I recommend going around Desktop Manager completely.

Go to this directory C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    and double click the Loader.exe.

if it asks you if you want to replace the system files you say yes. If it asks if you want to backup and restore all your old data, say yes.
    03-22-11 01:27 PM
    Hello,

Thank you for reminding me to delete that file. I am going through the process here and I am having yet another issue. I am prompted of the screen where it tells me if I want to have a backup and receive email notifications. I selected both of course and went onto the next screen. Here an error appears saying "one or more modules" are not resolved.

What could this be do to?
    03-22-11 01:53 PM
    Hmm, sounds like you have a corrupt OS module somewhere, which might be causing the phone lag...

Open the Desktop Manager and do a backup, but do a selective backup (only check the items that you actually need to backup). Save it to an .ipd file.

Then you might have to security wipe the device (don't wipe the memory card). Then reload the new OS as I mentioned above.

Then restore the data from the .ipd backup using Desktop Manager.

Note, doing this you might have to reinstall 3rd party apps manually.
    03-22-11 01:56 PM
    Papped,

Gotcha. Ok well let me do a battery pull and try one more time just in case. If this fails then I will just do a complete wipe and resync with Outlook and re-install apps via Blackberry World.
    03-22-11 02:10 PM
    Hello,

The battery pool didn't do the trick so I am going to do what was suggested and do a security wipe. I am going to wipe everything and hopefully with a successfull OS .337 install...just reinstall all apps, etc.

Can someone post a link with the .337 OS link that works? Just in case if I got a corrupted version. I am not finding it here on the site but I am sure it is somewhere...
    03-22-11 04:33 PM
    I'd do .448 or .450 imo. Fixes some other issues like the sms text scrolling halfway, dial tones not working on some automated numbers, etc.
    03-22-11 04:39 PM
    Papped,

Can you provide the link to download the OS you listed above? Both stable? I read that .448 is more stable than .450? At any rate, I am sure any is better than what i have in stock with AT&T. Can you provide a link?
    03-22-11 04:47 PM
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...C068A355BBA31A

Official release by rogers. Uninstall whatever Blackberry6 os you have on your PC first, then install this one (you will have to delete the vendor.xml again).
    03-22-11 04:51 PM
    Papped,

Sorry for the spam of messages here. I just noticed that my Torch appears to be stucked in the security wipe process. The screen has been lit for the past 5min with the moving clock/hour glass in the middle of the screen. How long are these security wipes usually taking you? Mind you, I decided to wipe PIM info as well as apps.
    03-22-11 04:52 PM
    Normally I don't actually do a security wipe, I just use BBSAK and do a device wipe (which is pretty quick and will report ERROR 507 after reboot).

But I hear they take a decently long time. If it gets to be ridiculously long I might just do that.
    DrNitun likes this.
    03-22-11 04:58 PM
    Hello,

Thank you for all your helps here. I did go with the .448 as Papped mentioned above. I simply just followed this tutorial: BlackBerry 302: A complete wipe and clean install of your BlackBerry OS | CrackBerry.com

The device is installing the new OS and everything appears to be good so far. Lets hope I did not speak too soon. Many thanks everyone...
    03-22-11 05:37 PM
    Hello,

Unfortunately, my phone is still hanging up (shows the busy icon) after the end of each phone call. As mentioned above, I did do a clean flash and install of a .570 firmware. It was working great for a little while but now the phone app lag has returned.

Any suggestions??
    06-26-11 10:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD