Hi folks,

Am using OS 4.2.1.79 and BES; doing web browsing with Opera Mini. I want to be able to look at PDF files linked in pages I'm viewing with Opera Mini. I'd like to see more than just the text in the PDF. Can't stand the BlackBerry browser; MEdiaNet is even worse.

I have DocHawk, so emailed PDF attachments are covered. I have a trial version of RepliGo Reader. If I try to get a PDF link, Opera Mini gives me two buttons, "Save" and "Open". Selecting "Save" lets me navigate the device's memory (I don't have a card at this point). But the saved file is only 1 kB, independent of the real PDF's size. Unsurprisingly, RepliGo can't do anything with this.

Selecting "Open" in Opera Mini starts the BlackBerry browser which shows only the text of the PDF which is not much use at all.

I would like to download the PDF to either device memory or a card, and then open with RepliGo. Somehow this doesn't work. In reading the forums I have heard the advice "save the file and email it to yourself". Since I have DocHawk this would work, but the only place I seem to be able to save the PDF to is the message list. And I can't figure out how to send that file in the message list to myself.

Is there a sensible way of dealing with PDFs that are on web sites that preserves graphical information? I believe my OS is young enough to support the JSR-75 file system functions.

Many thanks for any pointers on this.

Chris
    11-20-08 05:44 PM
    The new version of Repligo is native to the BB and is a much cleaner solution. The PDF's don't have to go thru the PDF software company's web site (like DocHawk or the original Repligo). It works great for me. I don't know if it's compatible w/4.2 though. I'd check w/the developer's web site - RepliGo Reader for BlackBerry - Native PDF Viewing - Beta

That said, I thought I read ages ago that you can't download anything from a browser other than the native Blackberry browser. There would be other threads on that here as well. Then again, the simple solution is to upgrade the OS to 4.5 and then there's no need for Opera.

Also, check out (ie. Search) the many other Repligo threads here.
    11-21-08 07:11 PM
    Hi, and thanks very much for your post!

I get my blackberry from my company and I am unclear whether upgrading the OS would create problems connecting to the company's BES, etc.

If this isn't likely (or if I can roll it back after saving the whole machine to an SD card) I will try the OS upgrade route.

Chris
    11-22-08 11:43 AM
    Sorry Chris, I barely know anything about BES. If you don't get an answer here, check @ blackberryforums.com. Some of their mods really seem to know a ton about BES & all the ins & outs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-08 06:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD