We've just put out an update to the Pandora BlackBerry app - version 1.1.6. This update introduces compatibility with the Ford SYNC� AppLink� system available in certain Ford models. See our FAQ entry about Ford SYNC for more information.

It is available immediately by pointing your mobile browser to the Pandora website at http://www.pandora.com or in App World.

As usual, our help desk is available for handling any questions or problems you may have at [email protected]

Release Notes

Features:
    • Ford SYNC� AppLink� integration
    12-17-10 01:45 PM
    Sweet! I use Pandora daily and I've been waiting for this update. I love how I can see the tracks on the head unit and control it with the steering wheel controls. Nicely done!
    12-18-10 07:14 PM
    Thanks guys, love the app
    Is Ford Sync the only new feature? I don't think I need that, my Taurus is older than most computers
    12-19-10 05:42 PM
    Thanks guys, love the app
    Is Ford Sync the only new feature? I don't think I need that, my Taurus is older than most computers
    Yes, this is the only new feature since 1.1.5.1.
    12-19-10 08:02 PM
    See our FAQ entry about Ford SYNC for more information.
    it just says "coming soon"

I have a 2010 F-150 with SYNC, but I'm not familiar with AppLink. Is that built into Sync or is it something extra that I don't have?

Edit: I just googled AppLink. The only car that supports it is the 2011 Fiesta. What a waste.
    Last edited by Aellus; 12-20-10 at 10:27 PM.
    12-20-10 10:20 PM
    it just says "coming soon"

I have a 2010 F-150 with SYNC, but I'm not familiar with AppLink. Is that built into Sync or is it something extra that I don't have?
    My apologies - at the time I posted the link, there was more information in the FAQ -- our FAQ maintainer must be updating the material. As far as I know you are correct - the Fiesta is the first model to support AppLink. Keep in mind that our (Pandora's) aim is to be available in as many automobiles as possible. More information will be put up in the FAQ as it becomes available.
    12-20-10 10:34 PM
    I really love seeing technology working together in this way, but I have to wonder how much money Ford is throwing your way to actually develop this feature? As cool as this is, when was the last time any developer invested time making a feature like this work for a platform that probably has 3 people using it? Most companies wait until there is a strong userbase before investing time in a feature like that. This link between Ford and Pandora doesnt really help you... I can (and already do) listen to Pandora in my truck, i just have to use the aux cable instead of the fancy bluetooth connection. This pairing only helps Ford sell more cars. Considering Ford has already changed their Sync system half a dozen times, I wouldnt be surprised if AppLink dies off in 2 years time. [/streamofconciousness]

Speaking of which, why doesn't Pandora support streaming over Bluetooth on Blackberry? I can stream music over bluetooth to my truck from the BB media player, but i have to use the headphone plug connected to the aux input to listen to Pandora If you're goal is to "be available in as many automobiles as possible", why not aim to support generic bluetooth streaming before the 7 people in the Fiesta owners club?

Edit again: Don't get me wrong, its really cool that you guys did actually develop this integration I think we've all had our fair share of owning something with a lot of potential but nothing to use with it. Whether or not Ford is actually paying you guys, this is really cool!
    Last edited by Aellus; 12-21-10 at 12:03 AM.
    12-20-10 11:55 PM
    Speaking of which, why doesn't Pandora support streaming over Bluetooth on Blackberry? I can stream music over bluetooth to my truck from the BB media player, but i have to use the headphone plug connected to the aux input to listen to Pandora If you're goal is to "be available in as many automobiles as possible", why not aim to support generic bluetooth streaming before the 7 people in the Fiesta owners club?
    I can't comment on our relationship with Ford, but feel free to vent all you want!

Regarding your generic streaming question -- it is possible to stream Pandora over Bluetooth A2DP - just select "Options" from the menu in Pandora (on the station list or now playing screen) and enable the "Bluetooth" option. This will tell Pandora to stream over Bluetooth whenever your phone is paired with a device that supports the BT A2DP profile.
    12-21-10 08:06 AM
    Regarding your generic streaming question -- it is possible to stream Pandora over Bluetooth A2DP - just select "Options" from the menu in Pandora (on the station list or now playing screen) and enable the "Bluetooth" option. This will tell Pandora to stream over Bluetooth whenever your phone is paired with a device that supports the BT A2DP profile.
    Fascinating, I'll try it out this evening on the way home from work. Right after I remove my foot from my mouth :P

Thanks Marc!
    12-21-10 10:40 AM
    Once the option is enabled Bluetooth works fine! I discovered it the hard way I dug through the settings. (Actually it wasn't hard to find at all)
    12-22-10 08:07 AM
    12-22-10 08:31 AM
    Hey marc

I have an unlocked 8900, running on OS 5.0.0.900, and the Pandora app works great for a couple of hours. Then all of a sudden, it just loses the internet, even when the Blackberry Browser works just fine. Every time this happens, I have to do a battery reset and it works for a couple of hours before dropping connection again.

I checked the error logs and I see this message:

"IOException: java.io.IOException [Thread-347880448]"

followed by:

"unexpected network error checking for upgrade - com.pandora.rim.http.NetworkIOException [Thread-347880448]"

Any help would be appreciated. I really want Pandora to work. It's a great app, I'm just afraid something in my phone is preventing it from working.
    12-24-10 04:29 PM
    Hey marc

I have an unlocked 8900, running on OS 5.0.0.900, and the Pandora app works great for a couple of hours. Then all of a sudden, it just loses the internet, even when the Blackberry Browser works just fine. Every time this happens, I have to do a battery reset and it works for a couple of hours before dropping connection again.

I checked the error logs and I see this message:

"IOException: java.io.IOException [Thread-347880448]"

followed by:

"unexpected network error checking for upgrade - com.pandora.rim.http.NetworkIOException [Thread-347880448]"

Any help would be appreciated. I really want Pandora to work. It's a great app, I'm just afraid something in my phone is preventing it from working.
    Unfortunately that's a pretty generic error message that says basically that the app can't get through over the network. I'm not sure what else I can do to help... there are a lot of variables in play especially if you're running an unlocked phone on a different network.
    12-24-10 04:33 PM
    Hello

I do not use Bluetooth and it is alway disabled.

After the update to 1.1.6 the following events are showing up every 10 seconds in my event log.

Maybe it would be a good thing to have the option to disable the Ford Sync if you do not need it.

Name: Pandora
    GUID: 6bc622e33074e780
    Time: Jan 12, 2011 09:51:49
    >>> [90.194] FordSyncBluetoothServer: failed to acceptAndOpen Bluetooth connection, sleeping 10000 and will try again - java.io.IOException (Bluetooth radio is not on) [Thread-365459456]

Name: Pandora
    GUID: 6bc622e33074e780
    Time: Jan 12, 2011 09:51:49
    >>> [90.188] FordSyncBluetoothServer: could not start Bluetooth listener - java.lang.Exception (Bluetooth radio is not on) [Thread-365459456]

This is on a 9530

At this time, I removed Pandora from my device. and I am looking for an older version
    01-12-11 10:00 AM
    I just looked into it and we accidentally left logging turned on for our production build (it's usually disabled). We'll address this in our next patch release. Thanks for reporting this!
    tryfe likes this.
    01-12-11 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD