I just finished watching the Palm Pre Plus review posted here on Crackberry. 50 apps were opened and all running. Well here is my question. How many apps can the Storm 2 run at once. A big deal has been made about multi-tasking lately (Droid, Palm Pre, etc.). Well haven't Blackberrys ALWAYS possesed the ability to multi-task? Please you guys correct me if I am wrong. I know you can run multiple web browsers at once (I run the native browser, bolt and opera mini at the same time). But what is the limit for the Storm 2 or any other Blackberry. We should test this out. Is anybody with me?
    01-21-10 08:44 AM
    Well, I got up to 34 before I ran out of apps. It kept running just fine but it did warm my battery up to about 105 degrees.....

Come on folks, I know thee are people with more apps than me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-10 09:36 AM
    Haha. 50? I hope not too much time is spent cycling through those 50. You need good screen space to have something like win 7 to see what's running

01-21-10 10:11 AM
    it can do well over 50
    01-21-10 10:36 AM
    my question is, why do you want to run over 50 apps at a time? when do you even need to come close to that? all it does is kill your batt. like in the at&t commercial, i dont understand what the big deal is about being on the phone and being able to surf the web at the same time.

personally im happy with what i have, it may not do everything but it does what i need it to do. my friend bought the pre just for that mulitasking reason, he doesnt use any of it, hes now trying to sell it to go back to BB.
    01-21-10 10:53 AM
    Yeah, trying to run 50+ apps at once is pretty much an exercise in futility. There is no way you would have any reason to be running that many applications concurrently. But it is interesting to see just how it makes the phone behave. If it has the capability to run that many different processes at once, it should be able to run much more complex single applications without even breathing hard.
    01-21-10 11:08 AM
    right, there is no reason to but it just proves that the phone is capable of. Hardly anyone needs 15 open at the same time but it would be kinda depressing if the phone was crapping out at like 20 or something and the competition was handling 60 or whatever. Again not that anyone needs 60 buts its still a 'benchmark' to judge a product by
    01-21-10 11:16 AM
    definitly just a benchmark, screen is no where big enough to handle that many apps.
    01-21-10 11:18 AM
    That is the second reference to screen size. I fail to see what screen size has to do with it. We are talking about how many apps can be left running in the background without adversely affecting performance. Not how many you can view at once. It is a matter of processing power and memory. Not pixels.

01-21-10 11:40 AM
    What exactly does this prove about how good a phone is? It's the feel of the phone, the usability - can I make a phone call and not drop it, does it function properly, what is the messenging/email experience like? Those are things that make a great phone, not how many apps you can open up in the background. The Palm could run 100 and I still wouldn't give up my Storm2!
    01-21-10 12:03 PM
    If you watch the review that Kevin posted of the Pre, every time he clicked on an app or clicked on a card, there was a considerable lag. Forget that crap, my storm opens apps fast.
    01-21-10 12:46 PM
    If you watch the review that Kevin posted of the Pre, every time he clicked on an app or clicked on a card, there was a considerable lag. Forget that crap, my storm opens apps fast.
    Exactly my thoughts if the pre could be faster at opening apps and have a bigger screen with soft keyboard I would consider moving over but it probably will never happen.... that 10 second or so lag would kill me I think thats why you have to have such huge multitasking capability with the Pre because you need to leave apps open to keep them accessible.
    01-21-10 03:19 PM
    Why 50? Who would ever need to run 50 at one time? That's just like iPhone bragging about apps, most are useless.

The "look what this phone can do" is getting downright silly, especially since half these things aren't even productive.

50. Really? 50 apps? *facepalm*

01-21-10 06:40 PM
    ill let you know when i get my pre plus on the 25th

i might even do a video comparison!!!
    01-21-10 06:46 PM
    I like the palm pre... however, I cant get over the fact that the keyboard can only be used in portrait mode. Not a good idea if you ask me, especially when you'll have to flip it every time you need to type from the landscape point. That and not having BBM is a deal breaker for me. Flash is coming for pre? Same for blackberry, just might have to wait till spring. No biggie. Apps can run on both in the background. Whether it can do 50 and the storm can do 30 or 40, doesnt matter much. I can type affective and efficiant in both landscape and portrait and to me, that counts more
    01-21-10 06:50 PM
    That's ridiculous. I'm a multi-tasker, but tht is just too much.

01-21-10 06:57 PM
    Why 50? Who would ever need to run 50 at one time? That's just like iPhone bragging about apps, most are useless.

The "look what this phone can do" is getting downright silly, especially since half these things aren't even productive.

50. Really? 50 apps? *facepalm*

That's ridiculous. I'm a multi-tasker, but tht is just too much.

you both missed the point completely.....no one would actually need to or probably would run that many. its a BENCHMARK type number. the purpose of the test went over both your heads
    01-21-10 07:04 PM
    you both missed the point completely.....no one would actually need to or probably would run that many. its a BENCHMARK type number. the purpose of the test went over both your heads
    We realize that, but what we don't understand is what good is that benchmark? Opening apps faster, opening browser times, number of dropped calls, time it takes to turn on the phone, etc...those are useful benchmarks. It's like they are trying to say the Palm is better than the Storm2 because of this "benchmark." I guess the reason for the test is what went over my head!
    01-21-10 07:18 PM
    My entire point for starting this thread is just to make everyone realize that Blackberrys have always possesed the ability to multi-task for as long as I can remember. Every one is overlooking the fact that other phone manufacturers are now touting multi-tasking like it is something new and that only their phone can do! To me, THEY are playing catch up to Blackberrys. That is why Blackberrys are power houses in the business world: push e-mail, multi-tasking! So don't get caught up in the hype that Palm, Motorola and HTC are making about their phones multi-tasking!!! Berry does baby!!!!!!!
    01-21-10 10:27 PM
    We realize that, but what we don't understand is what good is that benchmark? Opening apps faster, opening browser times, number of dropped calls, time it takes to turn on the phone, etc...those are useful benchmarks. It's like they are trying to say the Palm is better than the Storm2 because of this "benchmark." I guess the reason for the test is what went over my head!
    Not so much. Don't sell yourself short.

You understand that it is an indication of processing power, memory available, and proper memory management right? Well, it goes to reason that if a device can run 50+ apps all at once, then it could run 10-20 apps that are a great deal more complex without any trouble.

It is only a way of showing off the power of the processor, and the memory management capabilities of the device.

A benchmark type test simply shows the "brute force" the device is capable of bringing to bear. It isn't a real world test of capabilities.

It is a way that developers know how far they can push the platform that they are creating apps for.
    01-22-10 09:40 AM
    i dont understand what the big deal is about being on the phone and being able to surf the web at the same time.
    Well, here's an example: I'm talking to my g/f on the phone (using handsfree Bluetooth). We decide we want to meet to go to a movie. I want to open up Poynt and check movie theaters and times while I still have her on the phone. Then we decide we have enough time before the movie, so we want to meet for dinner for first. I open up UrbanSpoon and look for a restaurant. We decide on a restaurant, but neither of us has ever been there, so I fire up Google Maps to see where it is on a map and what are good driving directions to get there from where I am.

All that "surfing" without having to get off the phone to do it. And that's just one example.
    01-22-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD