I have OS 4.5, and docs to go (trial version of premium). When I go to desktop mngr, apps, the program wants to downgrade (that is remove sheets to go) each time I do anything in Apps. How do I stop this from happening?

thanks
    07-03-08 09:20 PM
    Until the BB OS packs in the Premium Edition, everytime you run Apploader, it will prompt to downgrade. But don't worry, there is a workaround! Here:
    If you do an OS upgrade after you have this new version of Docs To Go installed do the following before loading the new OS:

1. Navigate to C:/program files/common files/research in motion/loader files/<your BBModel and OS version>/
    2. Rename DocumentsToGo.alx to DocumentsToGo.old.
    3. Install the OS (or continue with my edits as outlined in the Optimize your BB Memory thread.)

This way when Apploader is run, the loader will pick up Docs to Go as a 3rd party app and back it up and restore it normally. If you don't delete or rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file the loading process will downgrade the Docs To Go to the version included in the OS. We'll have to do this until RIM includes the new version in the OS packages.
    you may want to change the path you note, it does not have the "Shared" folder in it. Should be:
    C:/program files/common files/research in motion/shared/loader files/<your BBModel and OS version>/
    Last edited by dilipc; 07-03-08 at 09:44 PM.
    07-03-08 09:37 PM
    perfect solution thanks
    07-11-08 02:18 AM
    I just came across this thread and noticed I lost my sheet-to-go last night. A day late and a dollar short. Anyway to get this back or am I SOL!!!
    07-19-08 02:33 PM
    If you do an OS upgrade after you have this new version of Docs To Go installed do the following before loading the new OS:

1. Navigate to C:/program files/common files/research in motion/loader files/<your BBModel and OS version>/
    3. Install the OS (or continue with my edits as outlined in the Optimize your BB Memory thread.)

This way when Apploader is run, the loader will pick up Docs to Go as a 3rd party app and back it up and restore it normally. If you don't delete or rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file the loading process will downgrade the Docs To Go to the version included in the OS. We'll have to do this until RIM includes the new version in the OS packages.
    So what if we noticed this after we had upgrades to 4.5? Is there any way to do this editing and refresh the OS in my device even though its already updated? What can I do to avoid DM deleting my excel app? Thankss...
    07-24-08 10:41 AM
    I just came across this thread and noticed I lost my sheet-to-go last night. A day late and a dollar short. Anyway to get this back or am I SOL!!!
    Just reinstall Docs to Go and delete/rename the alx file as mentioned above. You shouldn't have any problems after that.
    07-24-08 04:47 PM
    This would be solved if Dataviz allowed a zip file download instead of insisting on OTA.

I hate not having software that I have purchased not being on my hard disk.
    07-24-08 05:33 PM
    OK, I renamed documentstogo.alx to documentstogo.old.alx and it still wants to downgrade. Do I need to change the file type from .alx to .old, or am I missing something else.
    08-11-08 06:34 PM
    Bump. Hoping for an answer before I go to work.
    08-11-08 10:22 PM
    Bump. Hoping for an answer before I go to work.

Just .old not .old.alx

Originally Posted by John Clark

This way when Apploader is run, the loader will pick up Docs to Go as a 3rd party app and back it up and restore it normally. If you don't delete or rename the DocumentsToGo.alx file the loading process will downgrade the Docs To Go to the version included in the OS. We'll have to do this until RIM includes the new version in the OS packages
    08-11-08 10:23 PM
    Just .old not .old.alx
    Yes. Change the extension from .alx to .old. That's all you have to do.
    08-11-08 10:44 PM
    That's what I thought, but I'm at a loss right now for changing the extension.
    08-11-08 11:49 PM
    That's what I thought, but I'm at a loss right now for changing the extension.
    Kronk... my Windows XP didn't allow me to change the extension from .alx to .old, so I deleted the file before loading the new OS. It now recognizes DocstoGo as a third party application and doesn't prompt to downgrade.
    08-12-08 12:05 AM
    after you have docs to go, you can update and get sheets to go also!!!
    08-12-08 12:21 AM
    08-12-08 12:22 AM
    Kronk... my Windows XP didn't allow me to change the extension from .alx to .old, so I deleted the file before loading the new OS. It now recognizes DocstoGo as a third party application and doesn't prompt to downgrade.
    Well, that makes sense.
    08-12-08 01:00 AM
    When I open DTG and look at the "about", it shows 1.002.

When I go to the Applications list and look at it there it says 1.000.8 (Old)

Any ideas how to get the upgraded version back?

I tried to do an update and dataviz thinks I'm using the upgraded version...

HELP!

Thanks!
    10-10-08 04:10 PM
    This does not work with Vista as it will not let you change the file extension. Any ideas?
    10-23-08 09:38 AM
    This does not work with Vista as it will not let you change the file extension. Any ideas?
    Sure it does. I'm running Vista. Open up any folder. Click on Tools and select folder options. Click the View tab. Tenth line down uncheck the box that says "hide extensions for known file types." That should show you the extension of the file and allow you to change it (provided you have admin privileges).
    10-23-08 09:43 AM
    I tried that and when I right click and select rename, it highlights "documentstogo" only. Will not let me rename the extension.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-23-08 10:25 AM
    I upgraded to OS4.5 this week and did not get the Documents to Go which I did not understand. I look in my Applications List and it is not there either. I have something called Blackberry Attachment Service.

Any help with this would be appreciated. Documents To Go was one of the things I was looking forward to with 4.5
    10-23-08 11:32 AM
    I tried that and when I right click and select rename, it highlights "documentstogo" only. Will not let me rename the extension.

I've been trying to do this as well. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
    10-23-08 12:00 PM
    I've been trying to do this as well. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA
    To change a file name extension, first ensure that file name extensions are visible. Then, right-click the file you want to change and click Rename. Delete the file name extension, type the new extension, and then press ENTER. Windows will warn you that changing the file name extension might cause the file to stop working properly. If you are certain that the extension you typed is one that the program you are using will understand, click Yes to confirm the change.
    10-23-08 12:34 PM
    In Vista 64, you can not change the file extension. Tried everything I could think of. Ended up using my laptop since it still runs XP.

10-23-08 10:20 PM
    In Vista 64, you can not change the file extension. Tried everything I could think of. Ended up using my laptop since it still runs XP.

Well I can't speak for Vista 64. Here is the renamed file. Just copy and replace it with your existing one.

DocumentsToGo.old

Hope this helps you out.
    10-23-08 10:49 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD