I like Opera on my BB much better than the native browser. I feel it's fast, the pages turn out better, and it won't lag on me.

Is there anyway to make Opera the "default" browser so when I click on links in an external application (like email or twitter), they'll show up in Opera, not BB browser?

Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-09 07:36 PM
    not possible, its been asked many a time
    11-19-09 07:41 PM
    I like Opera on my BB much better than the native browser. I feel it's fast, the pages turn out better, and it won't lag on me.

Is there anyway to make Opera the "default" browser so when I click on links in an external application (like email or twitter), they'll show up in Opera, not BB browser?
    When I've looked into this, the answer has always been no.

I don't see a value to get used to one browser for my regular stuff and then have to use another one for default stuff that launches automatically.

I abandoned Opera for that reason. Might have stuck with it if it were possible to make it the default browser but alas that has never seemed do-able.

Keep in mind that RIM recently purchased Torch Mobile with the intent to step up their game in the browser department so you should see improvements in the browser department in the months ahead.
    11-19-09 07:41 PM
    Thanks guys. I know this has been asked before but I wanted to make sure that it was really a "no". It just seems odd to me that I can change default programs such as maps (gmaps, bb maps, etc) but I can't change the browser selection. Hm. I guess there is no way then.

I will still stick with Opera because it's really fast. It feels like 3G to me, which is awesome.

I too am very happy that RIM bought Torch Mobile. It's definitely time for them to revamp the browser!

11-19-09 07:55 PM
    You can use tricks like putting it on the home page or launching it using your shortcut keys but you can't set it as a default browser. Actually its a java app and even its not trusted. On some of my sets it even asks before it opens a data connection, so you can well understand. But in any case its an amazing browser.
    11-20-09 01:54 AM
    Having had a play with all of them, i prefer Bolt. Pity you cant set it as default.
    11-20-09 05:30 AM
    If you install Opera mini 5 beta it automatically becomes the default browser. I don't ise it for this very reason.

11-20-09 05:39 AM
    I have been using Opera Mini 5 Beta since it became available. I have installed it on 5 different Storms. Not once has it ever been my default browser. If so what is the trick?
    11-20-09 06:10 AM
    Opera mini 5 is only a "default" setting in Gtalk as far as I can see. Clicking on links in email, including the Gmail plug in, will open the BB browser.

11-20-09 06:13 AM
    Having had a play with all of them, i prefer Bolt. Pity you cant set it as default.
    same here. tried opera 4.2, replaced w/ beta. beta is better. however bolt seems faster to me and easier to move cursor around.
    11-20-09 07:28 AM
    I hated the beta5 version. Seemed a little to clunky but I did really like the tabs.

11-30-09 12:51 AM
    As far as I know, you cannot change default browser, but you can make the open with opera mini options appear by doing the following: "Open in opera mini" will only be displayed if email link is displayed as "www". etc. To do this, scroll over link ( i.e. link says "click here to visit website"). press menu key, then select "get plain text". the link will then change to "www. whatever" and "open with opera mini" option will now be available in menu!
    10-15-12 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD