I downloaded the latest Opera Mini for my BlackBerry Curve 8530. During the installation, it'll show you the "Terms and Conditions" of the application. Whenever I hit "ACCEPT," it just closes the installation and does nothing. I tried opening the Opera Mini once again and it just goes through the installation and asks me if I accept the "Terms and Conditions" of the application, again. It doesn't seem to work.
    02-22-10 09:38 PM
    What version did you try to get? I downloaded v5 beta 2 without any probs.. Do u have an 8530 or 8520 and what os do you have?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-10 09:41 PM
    I downloaded the latest Opera Mini for my BlackBerry Curve 8530. During the installation, it'll show you the "Terms and Conditions" of the application. Whenever I hit "ACCEPT," it just closes the installation and does nothing. I tried opening the Opera Mini once again and it just goes through the installation and asks me if I accept the "Terms and Conditions" of the application, again. It doesn't seem to work.
    Opera Mini on the Curve does not use the Green button to Accept...nor will it work with the pointer click....you have to highlight Accept and then hit the enter key on the keyboard.
    02-23-10 03:01 PM
    Mine worked with a pointer click.. I'm running 5.0.0.459 and 8530

02-23-10 03:06 PM
    Something happened in 5.0.0.459 preventing use of the track pad select in Opera Mini 4.2. You have to use Q and P for the soft keys and the Return/Enter button to select. For some reason OM 4.2 no longer recognizes the device as a BB and treats the device and a "regular" Java phone.

As mentioned above, OM 5 beta 2 works well on the 8530 with any OS--I recommend trying that version.
    02-23-10 03:40 PM
    Sorry to hijack the thread a little but I am getting really frustrated with OM5beta2 (8520/OS5) and its jerky/jumpy cursor pointer - seems a ridiculous design because on some webpages the cursor jumps over the link you wish to follow and no amount of moving it around will get it to select the link. Often the only way to access the link is to reload the page in a different text size!

Does anyone have a workaround or alternate method!v apart from this the browser is excellent...

02-23-10 05:52 PM
    I'm also having the same problem as above with the cursor.. Is this supposed to be like this? Pretty lame is u ask me

02-23-10 06:29 PM
    Nope, it's not supposed to be like that. It IS very annoying, and hopefully they'll fix it soon. I can't really decide whether I prefer the cursor or not... I must admit though, I miss using v4.2.

I've also noticed that when I'm done typing in a textbox on a forum, or wherever, the page reloads itself when I click on the trackpad or the menu key. That's pretty annoying too.
    02-23-10 07:16 PM
    I can't blame opera the site said "DO NOT INSTALL THIS VERSION ON BlackBerry OS 5" and I did maybe that's why the cursdor is choppy?

02-24-10 01:26 AM
    Is that right? So does anyone using <OS5 also have this problem? Has anyone used OMbeta2 on another BB device?

02-24-10 02:41 AM
    It's not an OS 5 related problem. Many people using phones other than a BlackBerry are complaining about this.
    02-24-10 08:21 AM
    Mine worked with a pointer click.. I'm running 5.0.0.459 and 8530

I upgraded my 8530 to 5.0.0.459 yesterday and my Opera Mini 4.2 stopped responding to the touchpad as a full control device.

Before the .459 upgrade, surfing to Opera's website said my device was not recognized. I found an upload of Mini 4.2 which I installed via Desktop Manager and the touchpad worked beautifully.

But after the .459 upgrade, the 8530 requires the use of keys again. Bummer.

I would rather not go the Opera 5.0 route as I find it to be slow and clunky.

Help us out Opera.

EDIT: I should add that I tried reinstalling 4.2 via Desktop Manager and I am now informed that it is not compatible with my device. Again, this was after the .459 upgrade.
    03-17-10 01:21 PM
    I decided to give 5.0 another shot. I realized that Opera removed the ability to synchronize your bookmarks as I could with 4.2. Bummer.
    03-17-10 01:39 PM
    Yeah I'm using opera mini 5 right now and its definitely too jump for my liking. It's kind of like it's lagging because it doesn't have enough memory but it does. I think I'll stick with the default.

03-17-10 02:41 PM
    Yeah I'm using opera mini 5 right now and its definitely too jump for my liking. It's kind of like it's lagging because it doesn't have enough memory but it does. I think I'll stick with the default.

While there is a "cool factor" with the heavy graphical use, it really serves no purpose.

Navigating through the various options (settings, bookmarks, etc) is sluggish. Obviously a processor limitation of the phone, but this should have been factored in with the Mini 5. Some of us don't like the prettier and therefor slower GUI.

I would consider downgrading back to 4.2, but that's silly to do just for a browser.
    03-17-10 03:18 PM
    I have been having problems with the newly released opera 5. Everytime I go to a website it says its not connected to the internet even though the stock browser works fine. I'll probably just reinstall later...

03-17-10 04:50 PM
    Why downgrade or even bother with the 5.0 beta. The official 5.0 release is out, so upgrade.

03-17-10 08:34 PM
    Why downgrade or even bother with the 5.0 beta. The official 5.0 release is out, so upgrade.

I think you may have misunderstood.

When I say downgrade, I was talking about the phone's firmware. I enjoy Opera that much. When I thought about it, I realized it's not rational to downgrade my phone's firmware for one application.

I am using the official 5.0, but find it to be incredibly slow compared to the 4.x series.
    Last edited by INHUMANITY; 03-17-10 at 09:59 PM.
    03-17-10 09:56 PM
    Opera 5 sux on my 8350. I deleted and went back to the 4.2 version. ahhhhhh

03-19-10 12:46 PM
    Opera 5 sux on my 8350. I deleted and went back to the 4.2 version. ahhhhhh

I miss my 4.2. Ugh.
    03-19-10 04:47 PM
    Opera 5 has sucked since the beta started all the way to the official release...
    03-19-10 04:50 PM
    I like the actually formating that Opera 5 does but I hate the new menu system and just seems like unnecessary graphic fluff which slows it down. I rather have a lean menu like in Opera 4 and 3 and keep it super speedy. But I do how is displays websites now.... just needs less lag.
    03-19-10 05:07 PM
    I'm a long-time Opera user and supporter, but I have to say that the release version of OM 5 has become a chore to use. I find myself using the BB browser more--I never used to use it at all. The touch-centric interface is wasted on a keyboard device. It slows me, and the device, down. Disappointing. :/
    03-19-10 08:30 PM
    that's weird... on my 8520 / OS 5.0.509, opera mini 5 is loading pages in about 2-3 seconds for me, just amazing. opera 5 beta 2 was the opposite, i noticed some bugs and lagging. I don't surf much on my phone, but some of the sites i've tested were crackberry, espn, and my college website (took a little longer with so many pictures, but barely noticeable)... opera boots and loads pages faster than the native for me as well. maybe just luck?
    03-19-10 11:41 PM
    Its not about it loading sites slow. Its about the actual interface having lag to it and scrolling complex pages has a lag to it. Its either still has bugs that affects gui speed or its just to taxing on our 85XX's which I doubt.

Has anyone else used it on another device with a faster processor?

03-20-10 01:40 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD