Sounds like you don't have caller ID. It's the only explanation to the unfixable contacts name for the incoming call issue.

Call your carrier to add it on, or if it already is added, it might be an issue on their end.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-30-10 04:33 AM
    I have never heard of unlimited not applying if you didn't use the bb browser. I used Opera mini for awhile, and bolt and was never charged any additional fee. I have Tmobile. I don't like bolt, I just don't care for the UI although I liked the idea of tabs, and I liked Opera mini until the last update, totally messed up everything I liked about it. That was many months ago so if they have updated again I might give it a shot.
    A good question, imo.

BlackBerrys use a thing called BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) to connect to the internet via the carrier. Its transport mechanism is a thing called blackberry.net. RIM controls which apps are allowed to send and receive traffic over blackberry.net. Obviously they are none too keen on allowing 3rd party browsers to use this since RIM could no longer be sure of how efficient the traffic was going to be.

Therefore Opera-Mini is forced to send and receive its traffic outside of blackberry.net. This is why you need to fill in the APN settings in Options, Advanced Options, TCP/IP on your phone for your carrier.

Most carriers do not care how traffic is sent over their network so long as you have a paid up data-plan. After all BlackBerrys are unique in using BIS and blackberry.net.

However some carriers look at the BlackBerry as a BIS only device when you sign up for a data-plan ad will charge you for any traffic that flows outside of this. It is precisely this that is under question here and it must be resolved on a carrier by carrier basis.
    jonraw likes this.
    11-30-10 04:59 AM
    Try options > phone options > smart dialing > country code australia and national number length 9.

11-30-10 05:32 AM
    Yep that's what I've got. And Exhibit3 do you have your APN settings filled in or blank? And also is your Optus BB branded, like got any optus logos on it or on the start up? TIA

Last edited by arbonb; 11-30-10 at 06:04 AM.
    11-30-10 05:59 AM
    Heya...my APN settings are blank, hasn't affected anything I do. Mine isn't Optus branded, no logo on it or start up. Try also options>security options>encryption>disabled

11-30-10 12:26 PM
    Yep encryption is disabled, mines not branded either another reason why I love Optus

11-30-10 03:47 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD