I'm going to stick with Opera Mini 4.2. Version 5 isn't quite cutting it for me.

These are things that are bugging me about the new version.

1.) Menu screen looks nice, but it's not as fast and easy to navigate for BlackBerry phones that use a Trackball. Previous version allowed you to type the 1st letter and quickly jump to a selection of your choice.

2.) What happened to "Insert symbol.."? We can now only enter the URL in the tiny box. The previous version allowed us to enter the URL that way, but it gave us the option to open it up in a text window. By doing so, I was able to use AutoText when entering information. This came in handy when doing a search on Google. The way they have it now, we can't use the AutoText feature. We now have to type out the entire word.

3.) It takes longer to close the app. I could close the previous version by hitting the Menu Key, typing the letter "E" to quickly jump to Exit, then I'm done. Now you have to hit the Menu Key, scroll to the Power Button (it's somewhat difficult to get it right on the Power Button. I tend to scroll pass it often), click on the Power Button, then confirm that you want to close the app. Who wants to go through all of that trouble?

4.) No scrolling using the Space Bar. The only navigation is 2,4,6,8 and the Trackball. I really miss scrolling down a web page while reading an article using the Space Bar. Who wants to read, then look down to make sure you're hitting the #8 key, then continue reading the article. With the Space Bar I never had to look, and it was easier on my thumb.

5.) As for my Battery.... It's draining right before my very eyes

Perhaps some of you can find other faults with the new version.
    Maybe someone from the creators of Opera Mini will come across the post and correct these issues in the next release.
    Last edited by cdf3; 09-16-09 at 10:09 PM.
    09-16-09 10:05 PM
    I'm going to stick with Opera Mini 4.2. Version 5 isn't quite cutting it for me.

These are things that are bugging me about the new version.

1.) Menu screen looks nice, but it's not as fast and easy to navigate for BlackBerry phones that use a Trackball. Previous version allowed you to type the 1st letter and quickly jump to a selection of your choice.

2.) What happened to "Insert symbol.."? We can now only enter the URL in the tiny box. The previous version allowed us to enter the URL that way, but it gave us the option to open it up in a text window. By doing so, I was able to use AutoText when entering information. This came in handy when doing a search on Google. The way they have it now, we can't use the AutoText feature. We now have to type out the entire word.

3.) It takes longer to close the app. I could close the previous version by hitting the Menu Key, typing the letter "E" to quickly jump to Exit, then I'm done. Now you have to hit the Menu Key, scroll to the Power Button (it's somewhat difficult to get it right on the Power Button. I tend to scroll pass it often), click on the Power Button, then confirm that you want to close the app. Who wants to go through all of that trouble?

4.) No scrolling using the Space Bar. The only navigation is 2,4,6,8 and the Trackball. I really miss scrolling down a web page while reading an article using the Space Bar. Who wants to read, then look down to make sure you're hitting the #8 key, then continue reading the article. With the Space Bar I never had to look, and it was easier on my thumb.

5.) As for my Battery.... It's draining right before my very eyes

Perhaps some of you can find other faults with the new version.
    Maybe someone from the creators of Opera Mini will come across the post and correct these issues in the next release.
    I like it for the most part, my big problem is that everytime you click on a link there is a delay, and also the animation at the top of the screen along with the progress bar seem to slow it all down at once. back to opera mini 4.2
    09-16-09 10:16 PM
    I totally agree with everything you've said. I hope it gets ironed out with the final release!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-09 11:32 PM
    I have the storm and it has a problem that I can't type in the address bar...I don't care about this much cause I can go to google or just go to speed dial

09-17-09 12:08 AM
    I have the storm and it has a problem that I can't type in the address bar...I don't care about this much cause I can go to google or just go to speed dial

Do you have "inline editing" on? There are some txt entry issues with inline editing off.

09-17-09 12:14 AM
    i cant even navigate to a website. everytime i push what i believe to be the go button i get nothing
    09-17-09 12:22 AM
    [QUOTE=DD1968;3606788]Do you have "inline editing" on? There are some txt entry issues with inline editing off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE

If I have inline editing off I can type a url into the address bar but that is as far as it will let me go. I hit enter but it doesn't do anything. With inline editing on if I hit backspace it deletes the entire address rather that the last letter.
    Also if I hit the google button I cannot get back to the address bar. I have to exit and reopen the application.
    09-17-09 12:36 AM
    Lest we forget: The auto-delete feature. HATE.

I uninstalled. I couldn't take it any longer.
    09-17-09 12:36 AM
    i dont like how its hijacked my phone and opens all the links in emails without giving me the option to use the native BB browser
    09-17-09 01:47 AM
    I dont like the way you have to close it, to long.
    09-17-09 02:16 AM
    sucks
    returning to 4.2

when i hit # 3 it hangs at the find dialog
    09-17-09 05:57 AM
    I didn't like it either. It was too cumbersome. I deleleted it and went back to Opera Mini 4.2

09-17-09 08:43 AM
    It is a beta which is often a code word for buggy. . . But that being said I didn't like how the "w" shortcut was removed. . . It made it much easier to swap between mobile and full sites. . . Secondly it's much slower than 4.2. And Finally who told it to be my default browser. . . Definitely wasn't me. . . . Sticking with 4.2 til the official release.

09-17-09 09:04 AM
    wow seems like i dislike the exact same thing about opera beta 5 as u do. I miss not being able to navigate with the space bar too, and the huge text entry screen. there's also a lag when u press the menu button. I somehow get the feeling this browser was mainly focusing on touchscreen phones but thats just my opinion. and I want to be able to navigate with the U,H,K and N keys instead of the trackball. they still kept the ability to move around with the E,S,F anf X keys but.... other than that its pretty good. I still kept my other opera mini 4.2 though so if at any time i want to use that one i can
    09-17-09 09:07 AM
    It is a beta which is often a code word for buggy. . . But that being said I didn't like how the "w" shortcut was removed. . . It made it much easier to swap between mobile and full sites. . . Secondly it's much slower than 4.2. And Finally who told it to be my default browser. . . Definitely wasn't me. . . . Sticking with 4.2 til the official release.

Lol that's funny, it didn't do that to mine, but hopefully there is an official release. That'll fix all these little annoying problems
    09-17-09 09:09 AM
    The opera mini 5 is running slow and you can't save pics from a website to your micro sd card, you only save the page but other than that its pretty cool
    09-17-09 09:24 AM
    I deleted it for now because O-4.2 works just fine. Until they make it official I won't waste my time with it
    09-17-09 09:28 AM
    i dont like how its hijacked my phone and opens all the links in emails without giving me the option to use the native BB browser
    Yup, that sucks. It'd be nice to have that as an option but it shouldn't hijack every link. Anyone know how to turn this "feature" off?
    09-17-09 09:30 AM
    My only complaint is that you can't change the front page at all. I'm thinnking about re-installing version 4.2
    09-17-09 10:57 AM
    has anyone noticed that the cursor moves along a preset grid? i tried to select a radio button, and the cursor went to the same four places around it, never on it. also, i hate not haveing auto text

09-17-09 12:44 PM
    has anyone noticed that the cursor moves along a preset grid? i tried to select a radio button, and the cursor went to the same four places around it, never on it. also, i hate not haveing auto text

I feel like I'm using Bolt browser with the grid like scrolling, uninstalled, back to 4.2.

09-17-09 01:35 PM
    I can't get this look on my Tour... What the heck am I doing wrong? It keeps saying it can't load the EULA?
    09-17-09 01:45 PM
    The biggest shock I got was when I clicked on a web link in an email and.... up came OM5 instead of the default BlackBerry browser.

I also tried youtube but could not get it to play any videos but I was in a hurry and only clicked a couple.

For sure this beta is bloatware and the user interface is not exactly BlackBerry standard. All the main criticisms have been talked about above so let's hope that Opear fnd this thread and read it.

The big problem with Opera is that because they are supposed to be the biggest 3rd party mobile browser so it is unlikely that they will listen to us.

I am still eagerly awaiting SkyFire though.
    I clicked the menu button and chose Accept but can not get anything to happen after that? I really would love to try this.
    Any idea if theres away to change the bb browser as the default?
    09-17-09 01:48 PM
87 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD