Is anyone else disliking Opera Mini 5 on their 9700 like I am? The cursor is so sensitive and it has some sort of acceleration feature that causes it to jump ALL THE TIME. This is driving me nuts. It also doesn't always go to the page it's supposed to when you tell it to, i.e. searching something on Google then searching something else will often take you to the page you were on before it loaded your "new" search. The cursor thing is the worst, and I am not finding a way to disable it. Anyone else noticing things they aren't liking or have a fix for the cursor?
    04-21-10 01:48 AM
    I don't mind the curser too much
    However what I find most frusterating is you can't right click or use the blacknerry key to highlight and copy text or cut and paste

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 02:50 AM
    Yeah the cursor thing is seriously annoying.
    BTW, to cut and paste or save, press 'w'.
    04-21-10 02:57 AM
    I love it, loads a lot faster than the stock browser, and it does wonders for changing my fantasy baseball team
    04-21-10 05:13 AM
    I use it because I have to. I use it as little as possible and only as a poor second choce to the BlackBerry browser when it just cannot do the job.

I hate the UI of Opera. The hav emade no effort whatsoever to make this program BlackBerry friendly. They have just ported it across and gone home.

I am really looking forward to the webkit browser. When I have that I shall gladly delete Opera Mini.
    04-21-10 05:55 AM
    Yeah, I will for sure be dumping it for the webkit browser as well. I'm considering going back to 4.5 or whatever it was just to get rid of that damn cursor thing.
    04-21-10 12:30 PM
    It's a good browser...

Sadly plagued by the crappy cursor, and how when posting replies, text seems to just magically disappear
    04-21-10 02:13 PM
    Use the number keyboard to browse, (2,4,6,8) - it's like a D-Pad. and the number 5 key can zoom in and out. MUCH better than trying to use the trackpad/trackball.
    04-21-10 03:09 PM
    I use it because I have to. I use it as little as possible and only as a poor second choce to the BlackBerry browser when it just cannot do the job.

I hate the UI of Opera. The hav emade no effort whatsoever to make this program BlackBerry friendly. They have just ported it across and gone home.

I am really looking forward to the webkit browser. When I have that I shall gladly delete Opera Mini.
    I currently have Opera Mini 4.2 on my Curve 8330. I like it better than Opera Mini 5. Will version 4.2 work on the newer devices if I decided to upgrade?
    04-21-10 04:47 PM
    I'm aware of the number scrolling, it just isn't as precise. When you need to click on a link and go to move your cursor after number padding where you want it, you still have to deal with the cursor jumping. You know what I mean?
    04-22-10 01:09 AM
    the cursor movement is too jerky
    04-22-10 08:16 AM
    I can't really use the native browser, because if you are in area like mine that has GPRS only, you're basically not browsing at all. I rely on the Opera Mini and Bolt to look up stuff at all. GPRS should be outlawed nowadays. My area is never gonna get even EDGE. T-Mobile rep said never for around here.
    04-22-10 12:49 PM
    opera mini 5 is very excellent. i have used the previous version on my bold too and i must say there is a great improvement in it. although i do agree the app is way too sensitive to the trackball. and once you have used opera mini 5 on the iphone you'll think why didnt opera do a better job on the blackberry? on the iphone i think its the best app to ever be released, but cant really say that for the blackberry...
    04-22-10 07:34 PM
    I currently have Opera Mini 4.2 on my Curve 8330. I like it better than Opera Mini 5. Will version 4.2 work on the newer devices if I decided to upgrade?
    I don't think it will, however, Opera created a "renamed 4.2" that you can install that will allow you, in effect, to have 4.2 & 5 final on the same machine separately. (They rename the application from "Opera Mini" to "Opera Mini 4" so it & 5, called "Opera Mini" don't overlap & conflict and are treated as total separates. This modified application is otherwise absolutely identical to 4.2, it's merely renamed.)

You can read about it and download it here. I've done so, and it works.

As for my observations of what's wrong with 5 final:

• The bookmarks don't have a way to jump page-to-page, this is huge, the bookmarks are now all but useless (even though you can apply a tier structure to them you couldn't before)
      It does like to lockup sometimes to where you can't do a full-blown exit without a battery pull (have to use the phone hang-up key to "fake-exit" it otherwise)
      Form entries seem to disappear (so I use 4.2 to post to wapforums.crackberry.com for example)
      Doesn't use the native Blackberry menu/text-box structure
      No way for it to "snap to links," I miss that

It does render pages better than 4.2, and is faster than any version of Bolt (although Bolt does have some advantages).
    Last edited by larrytxeast; 04-22-10 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
    04-22-10 11:24 PM
    You're probably best off with 4. I think 5 is more built for the Storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-10 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD