For those of you not familiar with it Opear Mini 5 Beta can be downloaded here...http://m.opera.com/next

Personally I feel this is the best browser available for BlackBerries and it's absolutely SICK on WIFI!

Here are a few tips I came across which I thought might help some of you out.

1) The first thing you should know about is the long hold. Whether you are using a touchscreen or not, holding down for a moment when pressing something like a link or a Speed Dial entry (instead of pressing and releasing immediately), offers various options depending on what you press, such as:

* Edit or clear Speed Dial
    * Open a link in a new tab
    * Select text
    * Copy text
    * Open image

2) To assign a new Speed Dial, simply press one of the empty slots and type in the address, or choose from the list.

3) The find in page option is in the menu (the button to the right in the touch user interface, or the dropdown below the button toolbar on non-touch phones), along with bookmarks, history, saved pages, settings, and help.

4) The new RSS/newsfeed reader is not available in this beta, but if you want to access the old one, add the address feed:list as a bookmark or Speed Dial.

5) You may be able to copy text from Opera Mini 5 to a different application despite Java not allowing this. To do so, open the Settings, go to Advanced, and disable Inline Editing. You can now copy the text from a page, and paste it into a text input field (such as the search field if none are available on the current page). Editing this text will open the phone's built-in text editor, which might allow you to copy the text from there and to a different application.

6) Non-touch users shouldn't forget the keypad shortcuts. * 1-9 will open a Speed Dial. * up arrow will open a new tab. * down arrow will close a tab, while * left or right arrow will cycle to the left or right tab.

7) Is the lack of T9 predictive texting bothering you? Because Opera Mini is a Java application it can't easily access things like the T9 dictionary on your phone, so it can't support T9 when you are typing inline in forms. If you switch back to the phone's native editor, T9 will work again, but you won't be able to type inline anymore. Disable Inline Editing in the Advanced settings to use the phone's text editor.

Hope this helps.

Rich
    Last edited by Vaffanculo403; 11-06-09 at 07:56 PM.
    11-06-09 07:51 PM
    thanks for posting the tips up!
    11-06-09 09:10 PM
    A few observations/questions

(1) On my Blackberry Bold, even with the inline editing turned to OFF, nonetheless it STILL refuses to initiate the phone's text editor. Sometimes, this makes (say) editing a post impossible, whereas I can do this all day long on 4.2

(2) Copy and paste between Opera Mini and Memopad (the most often used copy-paste for me) works, as does between Opera Mini and SMS.

(3) Spacebar doesn't scroll down within the page, it should

(4) You hear this all the time, but Opera Mini doesn't pull up a Blackberry-like menu, or (again) initiate the Blackberry text editor. It should.

(5) When editing a text box, if you have to backspace to fix an error, it tends to erase everything--it can be stopped, if you know it's coming and act fast, but that shouldn't be required

(6) It's been said ad nausea but it's worth repeating--4.2 works MUCH faster, and I don't just mean machine performance, but just HOW it works as well

All that said, version 5 does typically render pages more "true to life" than 4.2, and the addition of copy-paste of page content is very welcome, as it tabbed-browsing
    11-06-09 09:51 PM
    Some serious problems on my 8800 with inline editing.

1. With inline editing, I cannot enter capitals in password field and also cannot paste. Must disable the feature.

2. Backspace gets caught in repetition on text fields. For example, if I am editing a message on facebook, pressing backspace once will automatically delete one character and then automatically another character, and another... until there are no characters left! Again, this might be a quality of inline editing.

Some serious problems on my 8800 with basic navigation.

1. Sometimes it freezes when trying to load web pages.

2. Sometimes a visible link will be non-selectable.
    Last edited by flop; 11-06-09 at 11:29 PM.
    11-06-09 11:18 PM
    Just so all of you know I don't work for Opera in any way. I just wanted to post up some tips that i came across and thought might be helpful
    11-06-09 11:46 PM
    when i type and press the delete button, opera starts continiously deleting my whole sentence....
    11-07-09 12:15 AM
    when i type and press the delete button, opera starts continiously deleting my whole sentence....
    I've noticed that as well.

I'm also having problems with the 'long hold' on my Storm2. I keep trying to edit my speed dials and so I press and hold and i can see the little menu pop up under my finger but I can never move my finger to select what I want. Then if I lift off the menu goes away and it opens the speed dial site.

I'm thinking for touchscreens it should be press and hold, then release, then you can see the menu and press your selection.
    11-07-09 03:25 AM
    it is. im not sure if your pressing until it clicks or not but you dont have to. just rest your finger on itfor about 2 seconds...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 09:09 AM
    The issues mentioned above are known and have been reported in the Opera Mini forums and via bug reports. I hope the next version fixes them.

FYI regarding a couple of the posts above, Opera Mini 5 for BlackBerry is not a Java application any more--it's a native BlackBerry application. This should lift some of the restrictions of using the JVM environment, but has some way to go as far as OM 5. I agree 4.2 feels much faster, but I do like the way beta 5 renders pages, so I've been trying to use it more.
    11-07-09 10:09 AM
    Toggling the inline-editing setting is a double edged sword!!

Using the native editor instead of inline editing looks the same (it does not go full screen as it did with 4.2) and the backspace bug is resolved. However, with inline editing disabled, an entered web address cannot be requested. The browser allows me to edit the address field, but not submit it.
    Last edited by flop; 11-07-09 at 09:56 PM.
    11-07-09 12:00 PM
    I am not seeing why people with a Storm would like Opera? It never open's external links or downloads anything, it just sets there like a box of rocks. I keep redownloading OPERA after deleting it....thinking I must have missed something from seeing how people like it. What am I missing people? Does yous download and if so why does mine not?
    Last edited by scarcocks; 11-14-09 at 05:47 PM.
    11-14-09 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD