Hey gang, I have a simple question. I'm with Rogers and have the 8820. I have the $15 unlimited e-mail and messenger plan. I downloaded Opera Mini 4.1 yesterday on my device and have accumulated olmost 3000 KB worth of data so far (equivalent to $160!) according to Rogers Data Department. Is there a loop-hole in this? are they actually gonna charge me this amount or is Opera Mini free to use with a data plan?

Please advise.

Many thanks.
    10-16-08 10:17 AM
    I am with T-mobile and I have been using Opera mini for about two months now and not once have I been charged. I would assume its free with the data plan.
    10-16-08 10:26 AM
    There is a difference between Rogers and US carriers. I don't think Rogers has any type of unlimited data plan while here in the US all of the carriers have unlimited data plans.
    10-16-08 12:28 PM
    You guys in the US have it pretty sweet when it comes to plans. They rob us like crazy here. It's pretty sad to see how little it costs the carriers and how much it costs the consumers.
    10-16-08 12:38 PM
    Opera Mini should be free to use for anyone with a data plan for their BB.
    10-16-08 03:59 PM
    yes as long as you have a data plan, operamini is free
    10-16-08 04:56 PM
    So why would opera mini be free to use, but the normal BB browser wouldn't be?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 12:38 AM
    So why would opera mini be free to use, but the normal BB browser wouldn't be?

I think the folks are referring to Opermini as a free application to use and not about data usage..
    10-17-08 12:42 AM
    I use opera mini all the time, and have never been charged for data. But my plan only includes unlimited email and IM. I personally believe opera mini gives me unlimited web browsing.

10-17-08 12:51 AM
    I use opera mini all the time, and have never been charged for data. But my plan only includes unlimited email and IM. I personally believe opera mini gives me unlimited web browsing.

I don't think that is true... Opera mini is web browsing and web browsing requires data and most if not all companies charge for data so therefore opera mini is a free application to use as a web browser with your data plan.

a+b=x
    b+c=x
    therefor a=c
    or something like that LOL
    Last edited by Crystall09; 10-17-08 at 01:18 AM.
    10-17-08 01:15 AM
    I dont know, it's wierd. I called Rogers and they told me that I've used 3000 KB worth of data, but can they see where the data is coming from? after all, the $15 e-mail plan is unlimited emailing. Also, my TCP fields were blank, it this helps.
    10-17-08 07:53 AM
    This is how it works.

1. Opera Mini is a FREE program/application you can download and use on your BlackBerry.

2. It is 100% free to download, install, and use for as long as you want.

3. If your cell phone subscription has unlimited internet/web access then you NEVER pay for using Opera Mini.

4. If your cell phone subscription does not have unlimited internet/web access then you pay for using the bandwidth over your contract. (You can use any browser and go over.)

Opera Mini itself has nothing to do with your cell phone bill. Though, Because Opera Mini downloads MUCH MORE data and uses more bandwidth than a regular mobile browser you risk going over your bandwidth limit if you have one.
    10-17-08 07:56 AM
    This is how it works.

Opera Mini itself has nothing to do with your cell phone bill. Though, Because Opera Mini downloads MUCH MORE data and uses more bandwidth than a regular mobile browser you risk going over your bandwidth limit if you have one.
    I think it's the other way round, surely. Opera Mini downloads an optimized version of a website which is interpreted by Opera's server, shrinking images etc before it is downloaded, hence reducing the amount of data sent to the mobile.

Whereas a regular mobile browser, which downloads the data directly from the website, with no optimization, requires the phone to optimize the data to fit the display by shrinking images etc after it has been downloaded.

Surely this means that Opera Mini downloads LESS data and uses less bandwith than a regular mobile browser.
    10-17-08 11:18 AM
    It's official, I used over 7000 kb worth of data and was charged 0$.
    11-18-08 12:49 PM
    I have been using opera mini since March and have the $15 month unlimited IM/email plan through Telus and never been charged a penny for it. Not many people know this but with that plan I have I get 4mb of data free per month. I only ever go on the forums anyways which uses very little data. And any sort of web browsing I just use opera mini.

11-18-08 01:00 PM
    Sweet! I used it often and decided to stop just incase Rogers did charge me. After reviewing my bill, I wasnt charged for it either.
    11-18-08 02:07 PM
    So let's ask the question, who HAS been charged for data when using opera mini?

11-18-08 02:35 PM
    you guys do know that 4.2 beta is out now, dont you?
    11-18-08 02:38 PM
    Yup, using it right now.

11-18-08 02:44 PM
    I love the fact that you can DL OTA now.
    Now I will never have to use the native browser again!
    MUWAHAHAHAHAA!!!
    11-18-08 02:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD