35 67.31%
  • Stupid and annoying

12 23.08%
  • A business tool

4 7.69%
  • Push to what?

1 1.92%
    Hello,

I'm looking for your help beta testing the new push-to-talk application. We have been working on it for almost a year and finally it's ready for some real life test.

Features:

• Push to talk to any BlackBerry user who has the app
    • Push to talk to/from Windows PC and Windows Mobile phones
    • Works worldwide
    • Uses very little data (about 90 kB per minute when you talk and 60 kB per hour when you don't)
    • Fast and real time (it actually streams voice as you talk instead of sending recorded clips)
    • Public channels where up to 100 people can talk
    • Requires WiFi or cellular data (won't work with BIS-B)
    • It's free and will always be free

This is open beta because any communication app is only useful when you have someone to talk to. To make it easier to start I created a public channel specifically for this test, which is called CB Beta. Use Options > Tools > Add a channel... command, then type 'cb beta' to find and add this channel. I think it would be pretty fun to talk to fellow crackberry users!

You can add other channels as well or create your own.

Here are some specific questions I'd like to address:
    1. Do you think it's useful at all?
    2. Does it load at all on your phone?
    3. Were you able to connect and create an account?
    4. Were you able to test with "echo" contact?
    5. Were you able to find, add and communicate on CB Beta channel?
    6. What issues did you notice?
    7. What killer features are missing?

To get the app navigate to Loudtalks for BlackBerry on your device.

You can also get a version for Windows and Windows Mobile.
    05-19-11 05:01 PM
    Very good job, great concept. This app isnt for me, but i applaud your hard work and i hope the app is a success.
    05-19-11 05:07 PM
    So does it have to use a convenience key?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-11 09:03 PM
    Hello,

1. [1]Do you think it's useful at all?
      [2]Does it load at all on your phone?
      [3]Were you able to connect and create an account?
      [4]Were you able to test with "echo" contact?
      [5]Were you able to find, add and communicate on CB Beta channel?
      [6]What issues did you notice?
      [7]What killer features are missing?

To get the app navigate to Loudtalks for BlackBerry on your device.
    1. Still undecided as of yet.
    2-3. I had no trouble loading the app on my S2 and setting up an account.
    4. I was unable (did not know how?) to test the echo contact. I'm not sure what it is supposed to do.
    5. I was able to add the cb beta channel but was unable to communicate with anyone. It says there are 3 users online but was not able to talk to anyone. Also I did not get a list of people like in your screen print. So I don't know who is online, only that there are 3 people. Again, this may be because I'm not sure how to use the app as of yet.

And finally I get: Uncaught exception: Application Loudtalks (352) is not responding; process terminated.

When I press the BB key I am not getting the bb menu where I can go into options. The screen flashes real fast but nothing happens. I was able to access the menu screen after I first installed the app but it no longer works.

I currently have my left convenient key set to ZonaSnap, a screen print app, and the two apps are not playing nice with each other. What would be nice is the option to use a screen icon instead of a convenience key. Again I'm on an S2 so an icon would be a nice option to have.

To be fair, some of my issues are most likely user errors on my part. I have never used a PTT phone before so I'm not really sure how they work. I will continue to work with this app.
    Last edited by ba_hamilton; 05-20-11 at 12:22 AM.
    05-20-11 12:14 AM

First of all I must say this app is great for an ex Nextel user like myself. Lots of potential here.

To answer your questions basically yes to all. As of right now I have not connected with any other users though. One suggestion would be to add an alert option like the 4 successive beeps used by Iden networks. This eliminates the embarassing someone by beginning a conversation before they are aware.

Posted from my BoostBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 12:16 AM
    1. Yes.
    2. Loads fine.
    3. Successfully created an account.
    4. I couldn't. I saw the 'echo' on my list and I pressed the left convenience key button (where CaptureIt was) and I saw that bar appear on the lower screen with the blue 'boomerang' going back and forth. I did a message test. Released button and nada. I was reading on the website about supposedly hearing back the message?
    5. I haven't gone on CB channel. Kinda feel shy talking to strangers.
    6. Not yet sure... haven't fully explored the app yet.

update: I did a battery pull and tried talking to 'echo' again. Works! I pressed down on my space bar (I set up Loudtalks to use that instead of the side key) and waited until I heard the beep and the blue boomerang to turn red. After a few seconds I heard my message loud and clear. I don't know if I would use this out in crowded public places though.

I saw on the BB download page about it running on WiFi. Is there an option to select network connection? I'm running on a BIS plan that does not include streaming (would this be considered streaming?) and I don't want to get extra charges.
    05-20-11 12:44 AM
    First of all I must congrats you on making such an amazing app

1.Do you think it's useful at all?
    2.Does it load at all on your phone?
    3.Were you able to connect and create an account?
    4.Were you able to test with "echo" contact?
    5.Were you able to find, add and communicate on CB Beta channel?
    6.What issues did you notice?
    7.What killer features are missing?

1- Yes it actually helps alot
    2,3- When i loaded it for the first time using wifi it worked flawlessly and was able to make an account, but when I closed the app and tried it on TCP it just didn't it took hours to load.
    4- Echo contact worked great on wifi, but on TCP the bottom bar just keeping moving it didn't even give me the chance to speak.
    5 - I found it and added it but still did communicate.
    6- When i had my tcp settings in the CONNECTION(APN) on and also had wifi on and tried to connect it just kept signing in then few seconds later it signs out, Until i removed all the details from the CONNECTION(APN) tab.
    7- If you can add a button on the screen which allows us to talk, cuz on the torch i have problems with the convince keys as i only have one. I set it to the mute button but i think the mute button won't work now when i am playing music.
    Last edited by abudi4; 05-20-11 at 04:45 AM.
    05-20-11 01:51 AM
    So does it have to use a convenience key?

Not necessarily. You can re-assign to use any other key.
    05-20-11 03:35 AM
    Just DL'ed it.

Echo works and I tried talking on CB beta channel. I did get a reply but I think he said he couldnt hear me but I did hear him. Only prob is its really quiet.....really quiet. How can i turn the volume up? I went into options and tried adjusting it but it didnt seem to have any affect
    05-20-11 08:48 AM
    Just DL'ed it.

Echo works and I tried talking on CB beta channel. I did get a reply but I think he said he couldnt hear me but I did hear him. Only prob is its really quiet.....really quiet. How can i turn the volume up? I went into options and tried adjusting it but it didnt seem to have any affect
    In Audio options try to set Output to Speaker and Volume to 100. Please let me know if it helps.
    05-20-11 08:53 AM
    After i typed that I did switch the output to speaker but Im not supposed to have my phone at work so Ill have to test it out later.
    05-20-11 08:58 AM
    i downloaded this app and its works perfectly and very good concept i tried on mine and wife phone its crazy good luck best app will definitely be successful. thanks
    05-20-11 09:31 AM
    Is there a way to identify what users are online? For instance with the CB Beta it shows say four users online, is there a way to choose a user or access a list of users so you can choose who to talk to?

05-20-11 09:45 AM
    Alex, sounds like a useful app. I used to be on Nextel with the direct connect.
    I went to the website and wanted to download the Windows PC version.
    But on the site it has "Loudtalks works on Windows 2000, XP or Vista, and Linux"
    Does it work on Windows 7 (64bit) ???
    05-20-11 09:59 AM
    But on the site it has "Loudtalks works on Windows 2000, XP or Vista, and Linux"
    While there might not be a 64 bit version, the 32 bit version MAY work just fine, why don't you give it a try.
    05-20-11 10:20 AM
    Is there a way to identify what users are online? For instance with the CB Beta it shows say four users online, is there a way to choose a user or access a list of users so you can choose who to talk to?

Right now it doesn't allow to view the list users connected to the channel, but this is coming in one of updates. Channels don't allow to talk to users privately -- if you want to talk to someone in private you have to add them first (and they have to accept your contact request).

For now you can only see the contacts you have added directly using Add a contact... feature.
    05-20-11 10:23 AM
    Yup, it works on as many bits as you've got
    05-20-11 10:25 AM
    Just loaded this on my phone. Prob won't create account until after work tonight, but I am VERY excited that SOMEONE FINALLY made a BlackBerry Push-to-Talk app!

05-20-11 12:44 PM
    Great app, been talking to a few people with it

Glad to hear that you'll be able to view users in channel in future, will be looking out for that update

Excellent work!

05-20-11 02:08 PM
    any chance of a playbook version or companion app?
    05-20-11 03:03 PM
    I am getting a java null error about the speaker phone not reponding. Then the device locks up and eventually it returns back to normal. But then when I go and open it back up it has to log me back in.
    05-20-11 03:03 PM
    Just tested it out with the hubby and works very well! (Me on 9700, hubby on Torch)

One question though: there seems to be a bit of a battery drain when running it(both my husband and I noticed this). We "closed" it out after we were done testing but of course it is still running in the background. I assume if we "exit" then we will not receive any notification? Also when I Exit, it deletes my contacts.

Very nice app other than the battery drain for me. Could we look forward to sometime in the future being able to use this with iOS and Android as well?
    05-20-11 05:37 PM
    I am getting a java null error about the speaker phone not reponding. Then the device locks up and eventually it returns back to normal. But then when I go and open it back up it has to log me back in.
    Does error happen when you perform a particular action in the app?
    05-20-11 06:21 PM
    Just tested it out with the hubby and works very well! (Me on 9700, hubby on Torch)

One question though: there seems to be a bit of a battery drain when running it(both my husband and I noticed this). We "closed" it out after we were done testing but of course it is still running in the background. I assume if we "exit" then we will not receive any notification? Also when I Exit, it deletes my contacts.

Very nice app other than the battery drain for me. Could we look forward to sometime in the future being able to use this with iOS and Android as well?
    When I was testing the battery life on S2 I was getting about 36 hours of running in the background on one charge on WiFi. When running on cellular it may be much less depending on how good is your coverage. Optimizing battery life is one of the things I'm certainly going to pay attention to.

It should NOT delete your contacts, when you Exit the app. Do you mean when you exit and start it later it loads but your contacts list is empty?

Android version is in works. iOS is not yet. It's probably too early to speak about Playbook version but since RIM promised it will be able to run Android apps, I guess we'll wait and see.
    puddin78 likes this.
    05-20-11 06:28 PM
    When I was testing the battery life on S2 I was getting about 36 hours of running in the background on one charge on WiFi. When running on cellular it may be much less depending on how good is your coverage. Optimizing battery life is one of the things I'm certainly going to pay attention to.
    I'm glad to hear that; when using the app in 3G(we have better coverage on 3G than wifi) it drains fairly quickly. If there is some way to optimize the use of this app please let us know.

It should NOT delete your contacts, when you Exit the app. Do you mean when you exit and start it later it loads but your contacts list is empty?
    Correction: after exiting and then rebooting it will ask for authorization from a contact again. I have never used PTT so that may be normal.

Android version is in works. iOS is not yet. It's probably too early to speak about Playbook version but since RIM promised it will be able to run Android apps, I guess we'll wait and see.
    That is good news! Hope this will become a great alternative to Skype and such; looking forward to the Android release and thanks for making such a great app available for free!
    05-20-11 07:34 PM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD