I've wanted a proper RSS feeds app for a while.I wanted this app to work so much but with previous issues I mentioned- glitchy into email folders and the stutter- now it is slowing down the phone! Tried clearing the memory and battery pull still doing it. Deleted the app. Straight away phone is super responsive again.

9780 on OS 6.0.0.480

I will be back when these issues are addressed!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 03:16 PM
    After almost a day of use, I noticed this afternoon that my 9700 was showing pretty bad lag in general performance, not app-specific. Turning Breaking News off almost immediately fixed this.
    03-11-11 03:17 PM
    Ive been using this for about 24hours now and think this is an awesome app. There are a couple of things I have noticed. When changing values in the options multiple times, the ticker goes blank and must be shutdown and restarted. When doing this a few times the wallpaper from the stock zen theme was in the background of the scroller for about 20seconds then it went blank, but was fixed by restarting the app.

I also wanted to suggest you add black to the border color, it was the first color I looked for and settled on dark gray. If possible make an option to remove the icon on the left side, or change the icon to one of the users choice, as well as making it possible to tap the title to open the full article. Would it be possible to add more than 5 feeds? Or have a built in search option to add RSS feeds from a website like RSS - Yahoo! News . Maybe you could figure a way to pull berryweather info and have that in a separate scroller.

This is an amazing app as it is, but I see a lot of potential for you to build on this. Great job for what it does though, I've been looking for something like this sense I first got a blackberry. If I encounter any problems I'll let you know.

Storm 9530
    Last edited by icesteve; 03-11-11 at 03:59 PM.
    03-11-11 03:30 PM
    Here's what it looks like on my 9670! I'm getting the lag as well.
    Last edited by Dragon919; 03-11-11 at 04:52 PM.
    03-11-11 03:52 PM
    Am I the only one, but is anyone else experiencing slow downs after the app runs for a while after a reset? Not only do the feeds scroll along slow and choppy, but it actually is slowing down my device. Lag between switching apps that never was there is all of a sudden showing up. I love the app. Would even pay for it, just don't like the lag it is bringing along with it.
    03-11-11 04:15 PM
    I have scrolled through all the pages and haven't seen this suggested so far..... Could it possibly intergrate or use the feeds that the browser stores for the social feeds, news and podcast apps?

Great app though, cant wait for the release version!
    03-11-11 04:31 PM
    Haven't noticed hardly any battery drain on my BB Tour but the scrolling news has frozen a few times and had to do battery pulls to reset it so it would begin to scroll again. Love that u can change the location of the scroll bar. Helps with not blocking anything on my theme.

BB Tour 9630
    OS. 1030

03-11-11 04:47 PM
    Torch/.246
    Nice app! Now I can look official with real time intel! One observation so far, when the time changes on the clock, scrolling pauses briefly; no biggie, its just a thing. +1 for clicking on title to go to article. Couple of ideas clanking around my noggin, you know how it shows en for engadjet (or cb for crackberry etc)? Put the rss icon *there* and have it scroll with the title. When it gets to the left side, have icon stop and let the rest of the title continue until the next article with its own icon. Then click that icon for that article. I think that would look wicked cool. Maybe have a twitter bird scroll (fly?) Across with a twitter feed,fb with facebook feed etc

03-11-11 05:20 PM
    Trying it out now

03-11-11 05:45 PM
    I love it so far. My question is can you adjust the ticker if your running a theme that has icons at the top and far left or right? 9650 os6
    03-11-11 06:01 PM
    Alright so first things I've noticed (and I haven't looked through this thread so sorry if these things have been said before).

Light cyan and light blue show up white on mine, don't know if that's just my eyes or what. I think people have mentioned it, but it takes a second to pop up when you swipe down to get rid of your all page and stutters a bit, and takes a second to fade out when going into any app as well.

One kinda cool idea I had is when you open the notifications or connection manager, to have it slide off the screen with the rest of the animation, or have it slide to the bottom of the screen when these are open. I just don't like how when you move trackpad up, it goes away. Why not select the article with the trackpad? You could have a feature to swipe left or right with the trackpad to select different articles.

I just noticed another thing too. I don't know if it would be possible but it would be nice to have it show on the lock screen as well.

I like it already tho, and I don't usually read news, great job on this.

Torch 9800

03-11-11 06:02 PM
    I just got a clock face and a long pause when my clock changed time

03-11-11 06:05 PM
    Oh wow! this looks cool!
    03-11-11 06:12 PM
    Thank you for this opportunity to try your Beta app, love it!

It does not seem to work well over WiFi with GPRS (No 3G) on 3G its smooth as.

To be able to choose feed from within Breaking News would be nice.

To be able to filter feeds would be good too.

Bold 9780 6.0.0.294
    03-11-11 06:16 PM
    Sorry for posting so much. When I tapped on my clock to turn off wifi, it wouldn't fade out unless I scrolled down with the track pad.
    It also pops up when you hold the trackpad or long press to move an icon or delete it etc, and in the move to folder menu. Not that annoying but inconvenient nonetheless.

Last edited by cooljohn253; 03-11-11 at 06:21 PM.
    03-11-11 06:19 PM
    Ok so first of all, I'd like to thank Shao for another great app. I�ve been testing BreakingNews for a day now and here are my findings. I'm sure many of them have been posted already as the CB community is great at helping our developers out.

1) The border seems a little thick. It might be a good idea to make it thinner. Also a no border option would be nice.

2) The feed suddently stops in the middle of a word. It takes about 2 minutes and its starts going again. I'm not sure if this is related to the amount of feeds I requested (all) or the time it takes to go all the way around.

3) I agree that the Save/Refresh button should be at the bottom of the app and it would be a good idea to include it in every menu in our phones.

4) It doesn't play nice with WeatherPeek. I have it installed on my right convenience key and it no longer appears on my home screen, only on my app screen.

5) When I select a menu on my app screen, the feed suddenly pops up. This is a little annoying.

6) When I turn my phone on or it restarts, I end up on my app screen and a menu pops up. It has also slowed down my phone quite a bit. (very big deal)

7) I think a hotkey should be enabled to minimize the feed.

I think this is all I have so far, but I think BreakingNews has a lot of potential. Great job as always Shao, congratulations once again!
    03-11-11 07:13 PM
    After a period of inactivity on the phone and when the tickers have all gone thru the feeds setup, the ticker goes blank and will only restart when you go back in the program and refresh & save Bold 9700 AT&T 5.0.0.979 with 9700 Zen + today theme.
    03-11-11 07:53 PM
    Finally got it working! This is a nice little app, the problem is, its buggy as heck.

For one, it slowed my Tour to a crawl where the hour glass are abundant when switching apps or browsing. Let alone the inconsistent ticker scrolling.

Secondly, the ticker stops towards of the end of the feeds where I had to manually refresh to kick start it again.

Thirdly, there's no hotkey to quickly turn on or shut down the apps. The speed went up when I shut it down. So if I decided to browse or check on other apps I would like to shut it down quickly. This fix is a must.

Lastly, we need to have a link to the feed itself to read the full story on that subject.

If all of the above are fixed in the final build, I'm more then happy to make this a first day purchase.

03-11-11 07:57 PM
    Anyone experiencing battery drain with the app? Since the scroll is constant, I wonder if that has an affect.
    03-11-11 08:13 PM
    Some other issues/findings I forgot to mention.

1) I don't dislike the RSS icon, but maybe it could be smaller.

2) Foreign characters are weird!

3) The transparency level might be better as a percentage. Let's say 0%, 25%, 50%, 75% and 100%

03-11-11 08:24 PM
    Anyone experiencing battery drain with the app? Since the scroll is constant, I wonder if that has an affect.
    Ran me dry now 2 times in 24 hours.

03-11-11 08:39 PM
    Issues
    1) Phone lags after 8 hours (scrolling has been laggy until i restarted the app)
    2) The banner is not moving and showing anything (happens once - but once I refresh it starts again)

Suggestions
    1) Is it possible to have time stamp on the feeds?
    2) How about more than 5 feeds at one time?

Will post if have any more issues

Bold 9700 Build 6.0.0.461
    03-11-11 08:53 PM
    Hey Shao

Another update for you.

Still an AWESOME App! And I look forward to the completed version
    I still have the issue if I reboot my device I have to fight with my berry to get into the app and shut it down (As the main icon and the main screen keep flashing back and forth as if you hit MENU then BACK consistantly) and then start it back up

I also have gotten the issue with the feed going blank (I have two feeds going, CBC Top Stories and CrackBerry)
    Also after my berry runs a while when it is being displayed it does lag my berry down
    I do agree with a commenter earlier that perhaps allowing us to decrease and even remove the border (I feel it would fit into my theme better) And perhaps allow us to make the background transparency to clear and solid.

All in all, Shao, you have an AWESOME app started, awesome vision and idea. And I know all these people commenting on their experences will make it way better. And for all the Haters that want to say it's "crap" its B-E-T-A. It's not perfect yet.

Side note - Still love Wallpaper changer, purchased a copy for me, my wife, and mother, and show it off all the time to clients.

Later Days ^_^
    03-11-11 09:55 PM
    WOW! What a response, I wasn't expecting so many testers. So firstly thank you to everyone. I've read ALL the posts in this thread up to this point. I apologize I can't reply to everyone individually.

Click ticker to bring up full stories – Id like to be able to this, but Im not sure its technically possible, but Ill have to think on it some more. I think I might have an idea now that I think of it, I'll have to do some testing.

All the other ideas, Ive made a list of, I'll try to implement some of them, others I might not have time to add for version 1.0 (or may just not be possible).

I am aware of an issue where after the ticker has been running for hours on some OSs that it may start to lag, going into the app then clicking ShutDown and then restarting the app by clicking the icon will resolve it until I can track down why it is doing it.

There are more fixes I have on my list to work on (ie virtual keyboard issues), but I wanted to get a new build out tonight so they will be another build tomorrow night as well.
    Guatiao likes this.
    03-11-11 10:39 PM
    Just installed it in my BB9700 and it works perfectly! I can customize it to appear at the bottom of my screen. It can be even set-up to get feeds from my local tv news channel. No glitch at all! Would love to have a copy of this amazing software.. Really looking forward to it! More power!

03-11-11 10:44 PM
855 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD