This app store is really exciting but all i seem to know about it is that its coming in mid march and that rumor has it, we will be able to pay for the apps using pay pal (i hope and can someone confirm it).

but what else dopeople know about it? is there some wishs?
    I want this to be an open discoussion about what ever we want as long as it stays on topic of the upcoming app store.
    02-02-09 07:12 PM
    I'm pretty much in the same boat that you're in. I know it's coming in mid March (hopefully it won't get pushed back). They started accepting application entries a few weeks ago. And with any luck at all, the BB App store will be similar to that of the iPhone. Gotta give them some credit.
    02-02-09 07:28 PM
    We do not know much about the plans for the 'app storefront' (this is just it's tentative name) except for what was told at BBDC. We do know that the app center and app storefront will be one entity. They announced that it is has a target march 09 release date. The app center will be controlled by your service provider. The main application screen will provide you with a list of all applications that are available for install from the particular carrier for the specific device model and OS version (It will not display incompatible apps). When looking at an application it will give you a full description and the logo for the specific app. You will be able to access the Options> Advanced Options> Applications screen from within the App center. For the first build, all downloads will be controlled by the browser. The way revenue will be dispersed is that 80% of revenue going back to the developer and the other 20% will be going to Paypal and RIM for infrastructure and administration.

You can find out this and more by signing up for updates. They only sent me one update since November and it discussed what I mentioned here.

http://www.blackberry.com/storefrontinfo

Developers can sign up and register their apps here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Application Storefront
    https://www.blackberry.com/submitapp....seam?cid=1877

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 07:50 PM
    Wouldn't it be smarter to pay via service provider? Why add another middle man? Is this what apple does?

02-02-09 07:56 PM
    If its pay by paypal only, the won't get one penny from me. I refuse to ever use paypal again.

02-02-09 08:09 PM
    Wouldn't it be smarter to pay via service provider? Why add another middle man? Is this what apple does?

yeah i agree and would like to now aswell
    02-02-09 08:11 PM
    *know. sorry for that awful typo
    02-02-09 08:15 PM
    is the app center showing up on anyone else's "switch application" menu when you hold down the bb button? i noticed it yesterday and even after a few battery pulls it's still there...though when i click on it, the app center doesnt actually open. weird, right? is this happening for anyone else?
    02-02-09 08:23 PM
    is the app center showing up on anyone else's "switch application" menu when you hold down the bb button? i noticed it yesterday and even after a few battery pulls it's still there...though when i click on it, the app center doesnt actually open. weird, right? is this happening for anyone else?
    that was what it did on .65. is that what your doing?
    02-02-09 08:25 PM
    yeah i agree and would like to now aswell

IMH(but educated)O:--> If you use a 3rd party who's sole purpose is providing a convenient payment method (that's already popular to boot), you force out the greedy hands of carriers trying to take a piece of the action too.

Selon moi; it's the same satisfaction you'd get from giving $5 to someone (equally as deserving) who doesn't expect it, than someone who expects and salivates for it. Admin fees will always be there...and pay-pal is damn convenient. (plus it comes off my MC, i get air miles!)
    02-02-09 08:26 PM
    that was what it did on .65. is that what your doing?

no official .75, which ive had since it became available, and it only just started happening recently. oh well. guess i shouldnt be too worried, but i thought it might be a sign that the app store was coming soon...
    Last edited by iluvricky; 02-02-09 at 08:32 PM.
    02-02-09 08:27 PM

NO it would actualy be harmful if BB did that since a great deal of BB useres are on Business acounts and have the bill go to our employer. there for its better to incorporate a 3rd party since it will allow the maximum amout of users to buy the apps.
    02-02-09 08:32 PM
    What you have to do here is go into the app center and disenable automatic updates then do a Bat pull. what happens is the app center loads in the backround to refresh and update.
    02-02-09 08:34 PM
    If carriers get to determine what apps show and what don't, then it's already a lame duck, too much pandering to carriers and no care for the users lead the users into going elsewhere.
    02-02-09 08:37 PM
    We do not know much about the plans for the 'app storefront' (this is just it's tentative name) except for what was told at BBDC. We do know that the app center and app storefront will be one entity.
    What does this mean? im worried because i deleted the app center because it only has usless ****. whats going to happen?
    Do you have the auto refresh list option on in App Center? If you do, that is why you are seeing the app center icon in the Switch Application menu. To fix this you have to uncheck the auto refresh list, close out app center and then do a battery pull.

What does this mean? im worried because i deleted the app center because it only has usless ****. whats going to happen?
    It means that the new app center and app store will be one app. RIM plan is that when you click on an app in the app center it will give you the details about the app and give you the option to buy it or install a trial if one is available. I believe that once the new app center is released it will be pushed to the device to replace the current app center.

02-02-09 08:41 PM
    thanks

this helps
    02-02-09 08:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD