I've scoured AppWorld and Googled a bunch, and am amazed no app seems to exist for this. Maybe it does--please help if you know!

I want to rapidly send a preset text message to a preset phone number.

For example, I very frequently text my wife that I am "on my way". I already have OneTouch SMS installed, so it is indeed *fairly* quick (one touch) to enter the SMS compose window. I then have to begin typing her name, select her, pick her cell number from her list of numbers, then press enter, and now I'm composing. Now I type my quick message, then send.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things this only takes a few seconds. But come on, we can get better.

I did find one app (QuickText) that claims to at least make it faster to select *her number*, but I want better.

I want to be able to have one single icon, or even better, a shortcut key, and by that ONE tap/stroke, it:

* automatically loads her cell number
    * automatically sets the SMS message body to my predefined message
    * sends

Boom. One single tap and I've immediately sent a pre-defined message to a pre-defined phone number. If I am hopping in the car to come home, I click one icon (or press one key) and I have fired off an on-my-way message to her cell phone.

Or, for safety, I could tolerate ONE extra step: asking me "if I am sure" (to prevent accidental sending).

Doesn't an app exist that does this?
    07-27-12 02:32 PM
    QuickLaunch will allow you to do this.

Once the app is installed and set, press the spacebar to access QuickLaunch, where you will have pre-entered your wife's number. Click that, and the SMS window will open, and you will be able to just start typing. Set your predefined message as an Autotext shortcut, and enter that. Press send.

What you want to do, is not really possible on a BlackBerry. This will get you really close. Most themes now have a shortcut included for QuickLaunch to be activated by pressing the space bar.
    07-27-12 02:54 PM
    Super, thanks! I will try that. I bought QuickLaunch just now but it's useless so far. It says my activation code is invalid even though I am entering *exactly* what it showed me when purchasing and what was emailed to me. Useless.

But if it ever starts working, will try. Thanks again!
    07-27-12 03:11 PM
    Contact customer service, they will get you going. Don't forget to check the permissions, and maybe do a battery pull.
    07-27-12 03:19 PM
    Quicklaunch would be my first choice, but that was already mentioned.

But… Go with Advance OS & LED. It will do exactly what you want. Plus it is free.

You can program the app to do what you want and you would only have to hit 2 or 3 keys depending on the settings. I’m pretty familiar with it so try it out and give me shout if you need help.
    07-27-12 03:38 PM
    Wow, Advance OS & LED is GREAT. Sure enough I have set up a macro to do what I want.

Quick question: how do you get the "homescreen shortcut key" to work? I have tried "spacebar" and "z" but neither one works. When I am on my homescreen (with it set to "space"), pressing space just begins a search (for a space). Holding down space does nothing. Trying to use "z" (another option Advance gives), same thing (except that holding down "z" causes BB to ask if I want to assign a speed dial to the 7 (not z!) key, and yes I ensured number lock is not on).

I am assuming that if I can get the homscreen shortcut key to actually work, then when on my home screen I can simply press/hold that key, click to launch my custom action, and boom!
    07-27-12 04:08 PM
    Wow, Advance OS & LED is GREAT. Sure enough I have set up a macro to do what I want.

Quick question: how do you get the "homescreen shortcut key" to work? I have tried "spacebar" and "z" but neither one works. When I am on my homescreen (with it set to "space"), pressing space just begins a search (for a space). Holding down space does nothing. Trying to use "z" (another option Advance gives), same thing (except that holding down "z" causes BB to ask if I want to assign a speed dial to the 7 (not z!) key, and yes I ensured number lock is not on).

I am assuming that if I can get the homscreen shortcut key to actually work, then when on my home screen I can simply press/hold that key, click to launch my custom action, and boom!
    From the homescreen, go to menu then options. Then change launch by typing to application shortcuts.
    07-27-12 04:33 PM
    From the homescreen, go to menu then options. Then change launch by typing to application shortcuts.

Fantastic! Thank you, this is rocking and rolling. I setup "space" as the Advance shortcut, and "0" as my custom actions shortcut.

From the homescreen, I can now press: space, space, 0 -- and PRESTO, out goes the SMS!

Thanks very much.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    07-27-12 04:46 PM
    Fantastic! Thank you, this is rocking and rolling. I setup "space" as the Advance shortcut, and "0" as my custom actions shortcut.

From the homescreen, I can now press: space, space, 0 -- and PRESTO, out goes the SMS!

Thanks very much.
    Your welcome.
    07-27-12 04:49 PM
    So what happened with QuickLaunch here?
    07-27-12 06:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD