I would like to know how to set different outgoing e-mail addresses using my one Gmail account. I use Gmail for personal e-mail, and I also use it to pick up my work e-mail. When I use Gmail on my Mac, of course, I'm able to choose which outgoing address I want to use. But I can't figure out how to do that on my BlackBerry Tour � not with the BB app or the Gmail app.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    09-23-09 09:05 PM
    When you compose an email on the tour, there is an option on the top of the message for "send using." pick the address you want
    09-23-09 09:12 PM
    Because I only have one account. I suspect that "send using" shows up automatically if you have two or more accounts. My two outgoing addresses are both buried within one Gmail account.
    09-23-09 09:31 PM
    I'm guessing your forwarding your work emails to your gmail acct. I believe in order for you to have the ability to send from both email accts on your BB then you would have to setup both accts there also. I don't understand how you can choose from your mac unless both accts are setup their also. I may be wrong or just not understanding the situation correctly.
    09-23-09 09:39 PM
    But I don't want to.

By the way, Gmail gives you two options. I could forward e-mail from my work account to Gmail, but that's not what I'm doing. If I did that, my Gmail address would automatically show up in the employee directory, which doesn't look very professional.

Instead, I have instructed Gmail to go to my work account and pick up my mail. Gmail also lets you set up different outgoing e-mail addresses. And that's the nub of it � I want to be able to choose my outgoing e-mail address when I'm sending a message from my BlackBerry. I can't switch accounts because I'm only using one account.

I could easily reconfigure my mail so that I've got two accounts going. But I really like the way I've got Gmail set up, and I'm trying to avoid that.
    09-23-09 09:54 PM
    Your best option is to set up a second gmail account to handle the work related stuff.

Your second option is to set up the gmail account a second time on your blackberry and on the reply from field, put your work address. Then you will need to set a filter so it never actually forwards emails to your phone. (I think you can select a different email address on a reply)
    09-24-09 07:52 AM
    cavingjan: I like your second option. I have tried doing that, but my Tour keeps telling me that the account already exists and can't be created again. Do you know if there's a way around that?
    09-24-09 10:08 AM
    Trouble is with this option that gmail handles the change of outgoing address on it's side of things when sending a message.

The Blackberry passes the message through RIM's servers. That's how it gets to your Blackberry by push and that's also how it leaves your Blackberry.

RIM's servers will only show the outgoing email address as the one that's actually set up [email protected] for example. There's no way around this that I'm aware of.

Your options are:

Setup your work email directly on your BB if applicable. POP, IMAP, OWA etc

Or

Setup a second gmail account to handle your work emails but again this will still show the gmail address as the outgoing address and not your work address.

Option 1 I think is the only option that's going to give you what you want.
    09-24-09 07:20 PM
    The great thing about gmail is that you can set it up with your work mail smtp settings so that when you send mail using gmail it will show that it came from work mail acct.
    09-24-09 08:24 PM
    You could just create a spare e-mail account with gMail. Don't set it up to receive your work mail, but DO set it up to send as your work mail.
    Then add it to your Berry, and when you want to send from work, just select it as the "send from".
    09-24-09 08:44 PM
    I have a similar Gmail set up with 3 other accounts being consolidated in my google apps account. It works great on web gmail, but not so great on a blackberry. I have set up BIS accounts for all of my other accounts and have set up a filter to not send email to the blackberry from these accounts.

When I create or forward a message I can select the "reply from" address I want from any of my BIS set up accounts. I only have two options for replies to emails: one is the default BIS Gmail account that I set up, two is to set up a different "from address" from the BIS account settings to override the default.

This issue needs to be addressed by RIM because more people are consolidating there email accounts and gmail is becoming the mail client of choice for many.
    09-24-09 08:54 PM
    smnc: I just tried setting things up that way, and I think it's going to work. Thank you — much appreciated.
    09-27-09 01:50 PM
    Glad it's working out for you!
    09-28-09 01:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD