Hey CB addicts im new here as well as to BB's in general, i got my first one on the 3rd for my birthday. I've been enjoying it thus far its just that i have a (potentially simple) problem.

I've deleted alot of unneeded apps and such like help, languages, VZNav, and my application memory got itself up to 50 mb-ish. That was about 2 days ago, when i checked my memory yesterday it was around 46ish and today its 39. It seems as if the application memory is slowly deteriorating day by day.

Is there any advice you guys can give me? Keep in mind that i am indeed very new to the blackberry world so give up anything you can offer.

Thanks.
    01-08-09 04:05 PM
    Option 1: ignore it, and stop listening to people that brain @&% this poor phone.

Option 2: Battery pull.
    01-08-09 04:14 PM
    There will be a point at which the device becomes sluggish. Reports about when that occurs vary, but it is typically below 20mb at which point a battery pull or device reset is needed.
    01-08-09 04:21 PM
    Theres a memory leak in the OS. Theres nothing you can do to stop it. Just pull the battery when it gets low. It will be fixed in future updates.
    01-08-09 04:22 PM
    Batt pull worked. Thank you guys, its back up to 50 now.
    01-08-09 05:12 PM
    Hey CB addicts im new here as well as to BB's in general, i got my first one on the 3rd for my birthday. I've been enjoying it thus far its just that i have a (potentially simple) problem.

I've deleted alot of unneeded apps and such like help, languages, VZNav, and my application memory got itself up to 50 mb-ish. That was about 2 days ago, when i checked my memory yesterday it was around 46ish and today its 39. It seems as if the application memory is slowly deteriorating day by day.

Is there any advice you guys can give me? Keep in mind that i am indeed very new to the blackberry world so give up anything you can offer.

Thanks.
    OMFG PEOPLE!!!!!!!! STOP ALREADY!!!!

The only thing WRONG with your memory is that you keep freakin looking at it!!!!!!!!! Do you do that with your computer? Are you constantly thinking about how much RAM Windows is using??? NO! So STOP! If you have a PROBLEM, you will know it!
    01-08-09 05:30 PM
    Did you even notice performance issues? Mine has been sitting at around 20mb for more than a week and it runs perfectly... I don't think application memory causes as many issues as people think when it's low.

I have done one battery pull since I got it on Dec. 22nd and that was because I thought that low memory was a bad thing when it was dipping down in to the 20's, even though the phone was running fine.
    01-08-09 05:32 PM

The only thing WRONG with your memory is that you keep freakin looking at it!!!!!!!!! Do you do that with your computer? Are you constantly thinking about how much RAM Windows is using??? NO! So STOP! If you have a PROBLEM, you will know it!
    Agree!

10char
    01-08-09 05:33 PM
    I usually do a batt pull (via an APP called Softreset) every morning. As I'm showering, shaving etc, the phone is rebooting. Works fine, and as CX said updates to the firmware are coming.
    01-08-09 06:22 PM

Amen to that.

50mb to 39mb???? thats normal! the phone keeps logs, you get messages, e-mails, etc.

39mb is still plenty of ram.

mine goes from 40mb to 20mb to 39mb to 15mb to 28mb all damn day, if i wathced it all day i would kill myself. if my phone starts acting weird, then i check it and batt pull. but i usually go 5 to 8 days before i need anything like that.
    01-08-09 06:27 PM
    Guys, the OP said he was new here and BB. Let's not have a cow over a question being asked more than once.

I agree that the drop in mem dos seem minimal and quite respectable if you ask me.
    01-08-09 06:51 PM

The only thing WRONG with your memory is that you keep freakin looking at it!!!!!!!!!
    Dunno why you chose to attack the OP for asking a simple, legitimate question, and in such a particularly antagonistic manner. His question was entirely legit, and he freely admitted that he is new to the Blackberry world.

Do you do that with your computer?
    Of course I do.

Are you constantly thinking about how much RAM Windows is using??? NO!
    Um, YES, I am.

So STOP! If you have a PROBLEM, you will know it!
    I for one constantly monitor my RAM under both Windows and Linux. Available RAM is your friend.
    01-08-09 07:02 PM
    Having to constantly check a pc for free memory, which unlike the phone has ram that is easily upgradable, is more of a personal financial issue than a good practice.
    01-08-09 10:57 PM
    Having to constantly check a pc for free memory, which unlike the phone has ram that is easily upgradable, is more of a personal financial issue than a good practice.
    Personal financial issue? I have 2 gig of RAM installed, which is the max for this motherboard. I run several programs simultaneously, each of which uses a lot of RAM. (PhotoShop, Premiere Elements, etc.) Therefore, I monitor my available RAM. How is that a "bad" practice?
    01-09-09 06:41 AM

On the 9530 you don’t have a choice; 128MB is all you get. So, if you know you’re going to be using a lot of apps, you want to keep track of your ram, that way you know when you’re loading too many, or if you are checking for posible memory leaks. This is a "good" practice.

But, 4GB of ram for Personal Computers has been available for less than 300 bucks for almost 3 years. If you continue to run programs that regularly use more physical ram than your systems has, you either cannot spend or do not desire to spend the money to upgrade your ram. If your system only supports 2GB of ram, the situation goes back to money for a system upgrade.
    Last edited by alcra; 01-09-09 at 11:50 AM.
    01-09-09 11:47 AM
    If I had a terabyte of RAM I'd still monitor it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 01:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD