This is really exciting. Now I can really access my contacts, email, and calendar from any computer.
    11-19-08 10:34 PM
    Do I have to have an active email address on my Outlook inorder for this to work, here's way. I want to install this on my work computer that I use with Outlook and on my home computer; I have Outlook just for Contact, not email. Can this be done?
    11-19-08 10:54 PM
    Do I have to have an active email address on my Outlook inorder for this to work, here's way. I want to install this on my work computer that I use with Outlook and on my home computer; I have Outlook just for Contact, not email. Can this be done?
    What you want is to use Desktop Manager which has a Sync tool which you can already configure to sync with Outlook.
    11-19-08 10:57 PM
    mine just constantly sync'd for hours (hello, data charges!), I've turned off contacts sync, might wait until the next version comes out. BTW, Google to Outlook contacts sync?
    Last edited by shanek83; 11-20-08 at 01:01 PM.
    11-19-08 11:24 PM
    For some reason it deleted contacts off my cell, and then I got them all back since I have them synced with outlook, but thenbi erased every contact on my gmail account and then re sysnced and then worked well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-08 12:38 AM
    Decided to disable contact sync as I have not gotten it to work correctly yet. I can sync the calendar fine and don't receive an original error message. I get the Sync Successful Dismiss option. Then when I dismiss, Google Sync splits the contact sync and calendar sync into separate categories and the Contact sync shows failed. It is a good idea and when the bugs get worked out will be a great OTA option for us non BES users.
    11-20-08 06:03 AM
    Updated to this new version.

It wanted me to sign in again to sync contacts.

Wouldn't take my password, locked me out.

Went to google.com and used the same password and it let me in wtf?

So on the BB I sign out of sync. It wipes my callender clean.

And not it won't let me sign into google sync on the BB.

Effin App.

Any ideas what I did wrong?

11-20-08 07:07 AM
    It synced fine for me, but I'm noticing the address fields are all jacked up on my Berry. For this reason I'd like to see an option for one way sync. This way my BB Address Book wouldn't get all jacked up. Good thing I know how to clear my BB address book and re-sync with Outlook to get everything back to normal. I'm deleting this crap until there are fixes and improvements.

Have fun,

AJ
    In the options or GSync set on conflicts BB wins and it will keep your BB contacts from getting Jacked up.

11-20-08 07:16 AM
    HHmmm, this thread looks similar to the Conjola Sync thread....I want this sync option ssoooooo bad but I'm gonna wait. I can't go through the BS I went through with Conjola again!
    11-20-08 08:20 AM
    I have a Bold and when i try to download it says that my device is not supported. Does anyone else get this?
    11-20-08 08:29 AM
    For anyone that is having the "Device not supported" problem, go into the options menu on BB browser and make sure that your emulation mode is set to BLACKBERRY. I don't ever remember changing mine, but it was set to Microsoft IE.

Once I changed this option and saved it, the download was available for my device.

Good Luck,

D
    11-20-08 08:58 AM
    Was anyone able to get a 2 way sync using just the sync client on the BB? I downloaded it yesterday and it only synced one way, gmail to BB, and it overwrote all my phone numbers for names that were in my gmail contact list.
    11-20-08 09:01 AM
    Cool! I just updated the program and it worked great! I didn't have any contacts in GMail, but I had a ton on my phone. Since I use Thunderbird for email, getting contacts synced between my email contacts and my phone has been a real pain. I'll still need to update both my phone and Thunderbird when I add a new contact until someone develops a working method of syncing reliably (there are some beta add-ons right now but I haven't been able to get them to work), but at least now I have a way of backing up my phone. Hope it works for those of you with lots of contacts in both places!
    Hey Bailey you might want to check out the extension Zindus for Thunderbird. It syncs up gmail and thunderbird contacts like a champ.
    11-20-08 09:17 AM
    I installed the new sync and worked only once. Now, not even the sync, gmail app, or other emails that I have are working... quite strange...
    11-20-08 10:27 AM
    Mine works and I set it up for another 2 friends' and theirs worked as well. We have between 300 to 400 contacts. What I notice is that when you sync the 1st time and you have lots of contacts, it is better to do it over wi-fi than the network. Wi-fi is more stable. If you have many contacts, you just need patience. It does take a while for the first sync. Do a back-up before you sync.
    11-20-08 10:52 AM
    Mine works and I set it up for another 2 friends' and theirs worked as well. We have between 300 to 400 contacts. What I notice is that when you sync the 1st time and you have lots of contacts, it is better to do it over wi-fi than the network. Wi-fi is more stable. If you have many contacts, you just need patience. It does take a while for the first sync. Do a back-up before you sync.
    I do not doubt that it works. However, it did not work for me. Indeed, it must have screwed something up because I lost most of bb functionality (BB email, internet browser, etc.)
    11-20-08 10:54 AM
    Glad I made a backup on both my bb and my gmail acct.

This sync deleted 340+ entries on my bb and removed all but 57 entries in gmail when i told it to sync. I got a nice generic sync failed on the program on my bb and then it all hit the fan.

Nice try google, please go back to your original way of quality control before you release something to the public.

I am glad they are trying to get things to work like they should but I feel they are rushing it.
    11-20-08 11:26 AM
    I got a sync error also, but when i logged into gmail all fo my contact info was in there. Weird
    11-20-08 12:58 PM
    After I did a battery pull I went and re synched. Everything seems to transfered.
    11-20-08 01:04 PM
    Finally I found this thread /sigh...

I d/l the sync and at first everything looked fine. Then I made some updates/changes to some of my contacts on Gmail, and when I did another sync my BB didn't pick up the updates/changes I made in Gmail.

Are updates/changes only able on BB or should it be both ways?
    11-20-08 01:53 PM
    SSSSSllllllloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww

The sync takes forever. Only 66 contacts.

I am experimenting right now to see if sync is BB to gmail only. I sync'd once so that all info was same on both. Then I changed a couple of contacts on gmail and synced again. Looked to me like the gmail changes were overridden by the BB and again all contacts the same. So now I have changed some contact info on the BB and doing another sync. If this thing finished before I turn to dust, I will let you know.
    11-20-08 02:32 PM
    Ok, confirmed the following:
    1) Changes to existing contacts in Gmail do not sync to BB. In this case, it just puts the unchanged BB contacts onto Gmail, essentially undoing your changes.

2) Changes to existing contacts on BB do sync to Gmail. So make changes to BB contacts, sync, go to gmail, changes are there.

Now I need to try adding a contact and doing it each way, see if that tells me anything different.

Going to wait until I get to better coverage though. That last sync took like 20 minutes and when it was done it said 92kb transferred
    11-20-08 02:40 PM
    Just want to thank all of you doing all of these tries and reporting them! I'm definitely holding off for a bit until this gets more streamlined.
    What I'm reading from jimmytop is that if I have a contact who's phone number I have to change because they get a new number, then sync, it doesn't make the change, correct?
    11-20-08 02:52 PM
    Bummer.... I added a new contact to my BB. Made up a name and phone number and email address. Then did the sync.
    It said no changes. I logged into Gmail and checked contacts, sure enough no changes. The new contact on my phone did not make it to the gmail contacts.

Now I sync'd a second time and this time the new contact is in gmail....
    Last edited by jimmytop; 11-20-08 at 03:07 PM.
    11-20-08 03:01 PM
    Ok, confirmed the following:
    1) Changes to existing contacts in Gmail do not sync to BB. In this case, it just puts the unchanged BB contacts onto Gmail, essentially undoing your changes.

2) Changes to existing contacts on BB do sync to Gmail. So make changes to BB contacts, sync, go to gmail, changes are there.

Now I need to try adding a contact and doing it each way, see if that tells me anything different.

Going to wait until I get to better coverage though. That last sync took like 20 minutes and when it was done it said 92kb transferred
    I just did a test ... changed an item in a contact's address in gmail. Synched it and it got changed in my BlackBerry address book.
    11-20-08 03:46 PM
122 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD