Hi: I have a t-mobile Curve that I added an 8-gig sd card to, and it's enabled and holding photos.

I wanted to download the vymail app listed in the Jan 16 software roundup (joekrill.com/vymail/ota/), and first tried downloading it to my vista desktop, where it was saved as a JAD file. I tried installing it using Desktop Manager 4.6, but it wasn't recognized as an installable app...just wondering if that's even possible to do?

So I went to the URL on the Curve and received a message that there was not enough memory to install. Is there any way to leverage the additional memory on the SD card to hold apps?

I haven't had this Curve very long, and the only app I added was Google Maps (I also removed the default map program). Is the only way to add new apps is to trash a bunch of the pre-installed stuff?

Currently I have:
    4.5.0 OS
    4.5.0 core apps
    AIM
    BB Attachment service
    BB Messenger
    Brickbreaker
    Browser
    Google Talk
    Help
    Memopad
    Password Keeper
    Tasks
    Windows LIve Mssgr
    Documents to go
    RepliGo
    Googlemaps
    In Hand
    Facebook

It seems "unfair" that OS and core apps take up 35-meg of the 40-meg available
    01-18-09 11:00 AM
    You need to perform the Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my signature. You can usually recover quite a bit of memory.
    01-18-09 11:10 AM
    thanks...most of the "simple" stuff was already done...I guess the answer is "no" you're stuck with 40 meg so delete as much as possible
    01-18-09 11:30 AM
    Yes. Ha ha, it's all about trade offs. Take a critical look at apps and dump what you don't use. I got rid of help and memo and BlackBerry Maps (use Google like you). I have apps I like and have 23mb file free. Some people have more memory some less. Maybe someday we'll be able to use the media card for apps.

EDIT: Open your media, press the menu key and select explore and go through your device memory/media folders and make sure you don't have any picture's, music or any other memory sucking files stored in device memory - like the welcome video. And below I have pasted the file free memory management steps I do every few days or so.

Keep in mind that your file free memory is something to pay attention to, as well as your browser cache especially if your problems happen when you're in your browser. You do need to follow the memory optimization guide. Before you do that, you should take a couple steps to free up memory now - and these are the steps to follow if your ff drops to below 12mb again (I also put in good browser settings for you:-)):

First clear your cache and event log:

Clear the Event Log: Open the log (alt-lglg)> press menu key> select clear log.

To clear your browser's cache, while in your browser> press menu key> select options> select cache operations> select clear content cache> press back.

Then reset your Curve. A soft is usually good, but a hard reset is close to a battery pull:

Soft Reset for the Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.
    Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

You can substitute a battery pull for the resets: while your device is on, remove your battery and leave out for 30 seconds. Put it back in and let it boot up. Whatever you decide will work fine and is personal preference. I use both resets and batt pull. Depends on my mood,

Then set up your browser:Browser Settings:
    Browser settings for improved view. While in your browser, press menu key> options> browser configuration> check all the boxes> make sure browser is set to internet browser> show images set to On WML and HTML Pages> emulation mode set to BlackBerry> click back and save.

And finally, take a good look at your apps and delete the ones you don't need.

Good luck!

Sorry for any redundant stuff, I copied the last part from a tip doc I wrote.
    Last edited by exelant; 01-18-09 at 12:02 PM.
    01-18-09 11:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD