I lost my BB Bold 9900 about a forthnight ago and I had been pondering whether I should wait for BB OS 10 or just get another BB now. Finally dedcided to get a Curve 9320 yesterday but I am stuck with a strange one. Whilst I managed to use Blackberry Restore to get all my mails, text, contacts easily, the BBM contact are proving a tough one. It was taking a long time to connect mt BB ID to the device so I went to bed. When I woke up this morning, it was still stuck so I just rebooted it. On restart it associated the BB ID with the device immediately but alas the option to backup\restore was gone. Several reboots has not resolved it. This is strange as thsi si my fifth Blackberry devcie and I have always managed to restore my contacts and groups (albeit a couple of corrupt groups) without a sweat.

My question is what can I do to get the option to bakcup\restore back, as it is when I go to Options, the last item I see is Replace Blackberry Contact Pictures with BBM Pictures under the Miscellaneous section. The Restore/Backup option is gone. I have uninstalled BBM and re-installed it but I still cannot see the Backup/Restore Option after I associate my userid with the phone.

Does anyone know what I can do to resolve this problem. I has 10 groups and 173 contacts which will be painful to lose.

Besides, I cannot even backup my contacts now as the option is gone!!!!!!
    12-20-12 06:47 AM
    They switched the backup/restore process. It now uses your Blackberry ID to do the backup/restore process remotely.

There was a BBID addon that started saving BBM contacts and groups prior to the recent BBM 7 upgrade. I'm not sure if the addon came as part of a previous BBM update, but it was on mine prior to updating to BBM 7.

I agree that this was a convoluted way to switch things over. I get the part about BBM now using the cloud to back everything up, but it seems like it created issues with people who had their backups saved manually before.
    12-20-12 08:42 AM
    Hi. Did you manage to resolve the backup/ restore problem?
    05-13-13 02:28 AM
    I've encountered this problem with my brother's 9700. The way i solved it was by installing BBM v6 from the 9700 latest OS (the BBM version is still v6) and restore all BBM contacts from the PC and let it sits for a night. The day after, i told my brother to install the latest BBM v7 and it was automatically sync with the BBID and runs normal afterward.
    05-14-13 04:33 AM
    Yeah if you have the latest BBM installed it should automatically sync all your BBM contacts and everything!.. It will ask to sign in with your BBID and everything is linked to that now.

The newest BBM is in the Beta Zone. Version 8.0.0.44
    Now with BBM Channels and an all new UI

Or if you don't want to install that version, there is 7. something in BB World
    05-15-13 11:24 PM