Transferred Garmin/ mobile to a new device for free?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never got an answer on the other forum. Has anyone with a Torch been able to transfer Garmin/mobile to the Torch for free???

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgbb
    FYI,

I just contacted Garmin to transfer their mobile app from my S2 to my Torch. I had read somewhere else that it was not available as of yet for the Torch. Garmin tech support assured me that it is and sent the link to my phone. I haven't tested it fully but the touch screen as well as screen orientation (landscape/portrait) work fine!

Question- there was no charge to transfer from your S2 to the Torch 9800? Garmins GPS mobile program when I purchased it for my BOLD 9000 was a lifetime use for the BOLD 9000 only. Any purchase of a new device would require another charge of $99.99 for the life of the new unit. Has the program changed. Would love to be able to transfer for nothing the GPS/mobile program to my Torch????
    09-23-10 09:17 AM
    The program hasn't changed as far as I know, but users have reported the company is being more liberal in their device swap policy than they are required to be. If you purchased your copy directly from Garmin, call their tech support number. If you purchased it from a 3rd party vendor, you'll need to work it thru that vendor. I moved my subscription from my broken Tour to a replacement Tour by a simple PIN update. Going to a different device that requires a different version of the software may not be quite so easy to do.
    09-23-10 10:18 AM
    I had been using the 9700 version but I bought it for the Torch with the understanding that I could switch over to the Torch version when it came out. Similar to what Jeff mentioned, though, I exchanged my Torch twice after that, and had no problem with Garmin sending new activation codes for the PINs associated with the new Torches. And then I got yet another activation code when the Torch version came out.

So, yes, call their tech support number and play dumb. Maybe tell them you have the Storm 2 version on your Torch, and you want the Torch version now that it's out. They just ask for your username, full name, and phone number.
    09-23-10 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD