My daughter recently replaced her 8310 for a brand new 8900. The first app we tried to load was the app store. Got an error that there's no version of the app store for this phone. Huh? Is this a bug, or have they just not come out with a version for the 8900 yet?

We've only had it a day, haven't even connected it up to blackberry desktop yet, perhaps we need a firmware upgrade?
    07-26-09 02:36 PM
    You mean App World? I've got it loaded on my 8900 just fine straight from the box.
    07-26-09 02:39 PM
    App World, yes. It is not currently on her phone, and trying to download it from blackberry.com gets a "not supported on this phone" error.
    07-26-09 04:13 PM
    Does she have a Blackberry Data Plan... this is required for the Blackberry App World.
    07-26-09 04:17 PM
    You will need the blackberry data plan and it will work just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-26-09 04:26 PM
    yea my app world works just fine
    07-26-09 06:30 PM
    Yep, you need the some sort of data plan for App World.
    07-26-09 07:22 PM
    Yep, it was the data plan. We did not think of this because she was upgrading from an 8310 which did have a data plan, so we expected everything to carry over. We took the phone to an AT&T rep and he set it right. We bought the phone from Costco, and the AT&T rep says they're often fixing misconfiguration from the Costco wireless kiosk. This is not Costco's fault -- they subcontract to another vendor for wireless -- and it's probably not even the kiosk salesperson's fault -- he sells Verizon, AT&T and Sprint phones, and it's probably near-impossible to know everything about all three services. I feel badly that the AT&T rep had to fix this considering they didn't get the sale, but he seemed cheerful about it.

This would have been fixed faster with a better error message. "Not supported on this phone" doesn't lead me naturally to data plan issues.

But it's all good -- she's on the air now and absolutely loves her phone. The 8900 is the best phone Blackberry produces right now. I would trade my Bold in for one in a heartbeat.
    07-27-09 04:03 PM
    Good to know... thanks for the feedback... I'm glad we could help you.
    07-27-09 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD