I'll start by saying that this is my first BB, and I absolutely love it. That said, I do have a couple of questions:

1) The phone is for my personal use. I set-up my Gmail account, and installed the plug-in. However, my e-mail messages are not getting gathered into a single conversation, as they do in Gmail (and as the plug-in is supposed to do). That is one of my favorite featured of Gmail, and I'd like to be able to get this feature of the Gmail plug-in working.

2) My e-mail message show up under both the "Messages" icon as well as icon specifically for my Gmail account. Text messages show up under the SMS and MMS" icon, and BBM messages show up under both the "Messages" icon as well as the "BlackBerry Messenger" icon.

Is there any way to change where messages end up at? I'd rather have all e-mails and texts end up in one folder, and all BBMs end up in another.

3) What is the difference between the MEdia Net and the "Browser" icons? They both appear to do the same thing. Can I safely delete "Browser" or do I need one for the other to work?

4) And as far as browsers, why such distaste for the MEdia Net browser? And why so much love for Bolt and/or Opera Mini? I actually find that I prefer the MEdia Net browser more than Bolt and Opera. Am I missing out on something?

5) Anyway to direct where things download? Sometimes Apps will go to the "Download" folder, other times they will go to the "Applications" folder.

6) How many use Visual VoiceMail? Do you like it?

7) Can anyone explain what the following Apps do? "AT&T Music", "AT&T Mall", "MobiTV", "Get Mobile Banking". I doubt I need these, and some others such as "MySpace", etc. Can I safely delete these Apps and Services without fear?

8) Any suggestions for a good Weather App? I hate WeatherBug for the computer, but have read good things about the App.

I know this is a lot. I appreciate all advice that you guys can give. This phone is wonderful, I simply want to customize it so that it works at its best for me.
    12-21-09 12:42 PM
    I'll start by saying that this is my first BB, and I absolutely love it. That said, I do have a couple of questions:

1) The phone is for my personal use. I set-up my Gmail account, and installed the plug-in. However, my e-mail messages are not getting gathered into a single conversation, as they do in Gmail (and as the plug-in is supposed to do). That is one of my favorite featured of Gmail, and I'd like to be able to get this feature of the Gmail plug-in working.

2) My e-mail message show up under both the "Messages" icon as well as icon specifically for my Gmail account. Text messages show up under the SMS and MMS" icon, and BBM messages show up under both the "Messages" icon as well as the "BlackBerry Messenger" icon.

Is there any way to change where messages end up at? I'd rather have all e-mails and texts end up in one folder, and all BBMs end up in another.

3) What is the difference between the MEdia Net and the "Browser" icons? They both appear to do the same thing. Can I safely delete "Browser" or do I need one for the other to work?

4) And as far as browsers, why such distaste for the MEdia Net browser? And why so much love for Bolt and/or Opera Mini? I actually find that I prefer the MEdia Net browser more than Bolt and Opera. Am I missing out on something?

5) Anyway to direct where things download? Sometimes Apps will go to the "Download" folder, other times they will go to the "Applications" folder.

6) How many use Visual VoiceMail? Do you like it?

7) Can anyone explain what the following Apps do? "AT&T Music", "AT&T Mall", "MobiTV", "Get Mobile Banking". I doubt I need these, and some others such as "MySpace", etc. Can I safely delete these Apps and Services without fear?

8) Any suggestions for a good Weather App? I hate WeatherBug for the computer, but have read good things about the App.

I know this is a lot. I appreciate all advice that you guys can give. This phone is wonderful, I simply want to customize it so that it works at its best for me.
    1. You have to use the actual email folder for you to get the view
    2. The messages folder is a collaboration of the device its supposed to work that way.
    3. you cant delete either one
    4. media net doesnt use wi-fi as far as I know and opera mini renders pages better
    5. no way to direct them they usually go into the downloads folder
    6. I use visual voicemail and i love it works well
    7. you wont be able to delete those as they are pushed to the device you wont need them more then likely so hide the icons there not actually installed there simply icons
    8. I suggest berryweather its the best app out there but its 10 bucks
    12-21-09 12:47 PM
    First, Welcome to the BlackBerry family and the CB forums!
    For every question you ask, you'll get half a dozen different answers and as much opinionated perspective as you can stand
    There's a great collection of folks here and we're all happy when the family grows!

Here's my answers, FWTW:

1) I don't use the GMail plug-in, but I do have corporate (BES) email and personal (@att.blackberry.net) email both accessible via the Messages icon. I've simply hidden the @att.blackberry.net icon.

2) Open BBM, press the Menu button and select Options.
    Un-check the "Show Chats in Messages Application" option.
    Save your changes. BBM's will now live exclusively behind the BBM icon.

Open the SMS and MMS application, pres the Menu button, select Options, then General Options.
    The SMS and Email Inboxes option will allow you to have "Separate", "Combined" or "Theme Controlled" inbox integration.

3) MediaNet is an "enhanced" service that really doesn't offer any value for me. You can create a MediaNet account with your provider and control some aspects of your browsing experience, such as parental controls, tickers, etc. Many of the options are little more than bait for buying additional services... my MediaNet icon stays hidden.
    The Browser icon simply launches the BlackBerry browser. I've got Opera Mini and Bolt installed as well as the stock browser and they each do some things well. I find myself using the stock browser more than the others, but then I'm generally not far from a computer, so I don't spend hours and hours cruising the web on my mobile device. The good part is that Opera Mini and Bolt are free (as in beer), so you can try 'em and if you like 'em you're all set. If you don't like 'em, uninstalling is just as easy as installing

4) See #3

5) They go where ever the programmer / installer script tells 'em to go... but you can move them into whatever organizational structure you wish. A lot of folks, myself included, have purchased a small app called QuickLaunch, with with you can arrange your favorite icons (other than those already on your home screen) into a handy pop-up menu. IIRC, there's a free trial.. again, painless

6) VVM rocks. Plain and simple.

7) These apps are convenient ways for you to spend money. They're delivered to your device as service books, so you're kinda stuck with them. Just hide those icons and forget all about 'em

8) As mentioned, BerryWeather is one of the most popular apps. At 10 bucks, it's also one of the more expensive apps, but it's extremely feature rich and IMHO a bargain. I live in New England where weather, especially this time of year, is volatile and potentially hazardous. I find some comfort in timely weather alerts, etc.

Cheers!
    Last edited by whoppo; 12-21-09 at 01:17 PM.
    12-21-09 01:12 PM
    Just want to add something on top of what has been said. If you go into Messages> Options> Inbox Settings. You can check what kind of mail does or doesn't go into your Main Message Folder.
    12-21-09 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD