We would like to invite anyone to install our free mobile instant messaging software 'instango', which we are now offering in a Blackberry optimized version.

Any feedback here or in the instango forums is welcome!

Download instango OTA at get.instango.com

Update 06-16-08: The OTA problems should finally be fixed. If needed you can still download the desktop installation from http://get.instango.com/downloads/bl...y/instango.zip.

Update 06-16-08: Added some more screenshots.

Henrik
    instango.com

Chat
    Chatting with instango is as simple as chatting on your desktop computer. See who of your friends is online and start chatting with a simple push of a button.

Connect to GoogleTalk, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, GaduGadu, QQ and Jabber
    Take your instant messaging buddies with you. Instango gives you free access to these popular networks. Simply enter your GoogleTalk, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, GaduGadu, QQ and Jabber credentials and instango will show all your buddies on these networks in its contact list.

Push-to-Talk
    Send short voice messages for free to any instango user. You may even send voice messages to any PC or Mac user on GoogleTalk, ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo!, GaduGadu, QQ or Jabber

Send Pictures and Files
    Take a picture or select any file on your Blackberry and send it to your friends at instango or one of the major IM networks.

Mail
    With instango you get a free e-mail address. Receive e-mails sent at this address and they will be delivered to your instango. Add any e-mail address to your contact list to mail text messages, audio messages, files and pictures.

RSS Push
    Have your RSS news feeds delivered in realtime. Simply add your RSS feeds from within instango or using the myaccount pages on this website.

SMS
    Still have friends not using instango? Send regular text messages (SMS) from instango and save. Add your friends to the instango contact list and send SMS just like any instant message. And best of all, replies to your SMS will be delivered right into instango. Chatting via SMS was never easier!
    Last edited by pfluger; 06-16-08 at 11:16 AM.
    06-14-08 03:36 PM
    3 download attempts, all failed
    8310, AT&T, OS 4.2.2.194

907 Invalid COD
    Unable to import ZIP file
    06-14-08 05:19 PM
    I tried looking at the instango.com
    web site to see if it supports Wi-Fi and I found nothing. Does this program support Wi-Fi? The web site makes no referance to Wi-Fi or UMA ar all.
    06-14-08 05:34 PM
    my download failed as well
    06-14-08 05:45 PM
    Download failed also for my 8320 on 4.5.0.42 OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-14-08 07:32 PM
    OTA installation should be working now.

If you are still having trouble downloading you may download the files for desktop installation at get.instango.com/downloads/blackberry/instango.zip
    Last edited by pfluger; 06-15-08 at 06:36 AM.
    06-14-08 07:43 PM
    Ota download failed for my 8100 OS 4.5.0.42

06-15-08 08:57 AM
    Umm the desktop download worked, however I'm having trouble activating and even the website is not loading on my computer. ????!

Seems the program needed a bit more work before its release. Setting up a new account screen comes up, data is entered with no problems. When I click "save" my arrows signaling data transfer come up and disappear quickly. There is no link to activate from that screen so I have to click my back button and it acts like it is trying to activate but fails. When that happens I have to go back in to "create New acct" again and re-enter all my info into the fields because the application does not "Save" my info.

Update: Now after 5 mins. of my pc trying to find the instango.com - Mobile Messaging webpage, it finally come up and the page is a blank white screen.

BTW I installed the java version of instango on my daughter's Sony Ericsson phone a few days ago and could not get it to work on it either, so I deleted it.

Update#2: I just changed my transport method from "BIS" to "TCP/IP" and it registered. It seems connecting thru BIS doesn't work. Now I'll try the app out, will report back.
    Last edited by pegb856; 06-15-08 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Update:
    06-15-08 09:12 AM
    @pegb856

Try going to Settings > Account and changing the connection type to 'Socket', 'Socket SSL' or 'HTTP' while keeping the Transport at 'BIS'. Does any of these methods connect?
    06-15-08 10:05 AM
    OK once I got this application set up it's actually a pretty slick program. It has lots of things you can do with it, however there is one MAJOR flaw which is a deal breaker for me, No Audio!! I can't find any reference to audio in the settings, in BB profiles nor in the Options menu of the device. Otherwise it could be a great contender in the BB IM Apps. As it is without audio or vibration it's definately a "No Go" for me. If I am missing it somewhere please let me know as I have been known to error.
    06-15-08 10:15 AM
    @pegb856

Try going to Settings > Account and changing the connection type to 'Socket', 'Socket SSL' or 'HTTP' while keeping the Transport at 'BIS'. Does any of these methods connect?
    Yep it wouldn't connect thru BIS but did work with TCP. Please note the last post. Audio anywhere?
    06-15-08 10:17 AM
    There is a setting in the BB profiles. The naming may be a bit odd (we will change this for the next release). When editing a profile instango shows under "Messenger (New Message)". Should be called "Instango - New Message"
    06-15-08 10:19 AM
    Yes Messenger is defaulted to BB Messenger I thought. Will look. Thanks.
    06-15-08 10:25 AM
    OK quick question. Does Google talk not work with the free version?
    I was getting my twitter updates just fine until I clicked on the email to activate my free account balance. Now it has stopped updating.
    06-15-08 10:28 AM
    All of the instant messaging networks do work with the free version. The only feature that differs in the Pro version is that you may directly connect to an enterprise Jabber server without a connection to the Instango server.
    06-15-08 10:42 AM
    All right I just shut down instango and restarted it and google started updating again.

I found the settings in profiles to get the sounds and vibrations going. Is there a way to disable email notifications, we're using BBs we don't need email. Otherwise, it seems to be doing ok and I love that it shows the last chat update on your buddy list. Very sweet. Now if it just had a little status thingy in the icon when it's running in the background to remind you that the app is still running. The 1st time I changed the theme I got a "java exception" error, but since I did the battery pull it hasn't happened again.

All in All this is a very promising app and hopefully it will fill that void for a free (quality) multi platform client. The menus take some investigating to get them figured out but I really like the interface.

I just noticed one more issue, when the app is running in the background it's not sending notifications. Mine is set to vibrate only.
    06-15-08 12:22 PM
    All of the instant messaging networks do work with the free version. The only feature that differs in the Pro version is that you may directly connect to an enterprise Jabber server without a connection to the Instango server.
    Thanks for the quick replies.
    06-15-08 12:23 PM
    I did a successful OTA with instango. At least that’s what it said. I have no new ICONs on my main page. Instango shows up in my applications list.

Yes I did a batt pull after OTA and Instango no longer shows up in the apps.

My question is how do you access Instango?

Update: I tried several times to OTA. All said successful but no new ICON and everytime I did a batt pull it dissapeared from my BB. I did a successful download to my desktop and used the DM to load it. WHAWLA! It works….kinda. I now have the Instango icon but I can’t use it. Instango is asking me if I have an account yet and the only option I have to answer is “close”.
    Last edited by JeffPen01; 06-15-08 at 02:11 PM.
    06-15-08 01:37 PM
    @JeffPenn01

When the screen for creating an account shows, press the menu button to access the menu. Make sure you do not have caps or caps lock enabled or you will only see a menu with the item 'Close'.
    06-15-08 02:18 PM
    @pfluger
    THNX! That was it…NUM LOCKS!
    FYI….I had to select Socket(SSL) and BIS to get it to connect.
    06-15-08 02:42 PM
    Cool I will try the OTA download here in a little bit, when I leave. I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks
    06-15-08 02:53 PM
    Good news,
    I have my EDGE network turned off and in the permisions the carrrier internet permision is set to deny. I am able to use Instango with my Wi-Fi only. I know that some progarms still try to access the internet via the EDGE but I think I have it fully turned off. This is great news because I live and work in areas that I won’t get cell phone coverage but the WI-Fi is coverage is great.

update:::::
    It looks like you have to have a data plan to logon to Instango. I tried using Instango on a phone without a data plan and it never worked with the Wi-Fi.
    Last edited by JeffPen01; 06-15-08 at 09:27 PM.
    06-15-08 03:18 PM
    Does this use data only or is it SMS? I don't have a text allowance on my plan and I have SMS blocked on my phone. Right now I am using WebMessenger but I really don't like it.
    06-15-08 03:57 PM
    so "showing sms as an instant message" does that mean true threaded messages? like the treo?
    06-15-08 04:01 PM
    Umm..installed this OTA and can't find it on my home screen? What am I doing wrong?

06-15-08 04:21 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD