Man this program rocks!!!! I have watched some of these as cartoons and I have now wasted many hours of time reading. This is the best app ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-25-09 09:12 PM
    ^^^^^^+1 on that sir!!
    06-25-09 10:39 PM
    So when are we going to see an update for the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 09:45 AM
    I can't wait to see how much better this app gets!
    06-27-09 09:58 AM
    Andiamo, congrats for this great application, i was waiting for something like this for my Bold, Storm users are very happy.

I just was wondering if the app it will only use one-manga. Because Spanish users like me, are waiting for a Spanish version of this App and for others Blackberry's, with a page like Sub-Manga, that is the same as one-manga but in Spanish.

Forgiveness for my bad English. Regards, Morutimeru.
    06-28-09 12:30 PM
    I dont know if anyone else had this problem, but I was trying to read I's. One of my favorites, but every time i try to open it, it says that it cant connect with the website. May have something to do with the name comes up as I"/s on my menu. Invalid characters possibly? Im not sure the technical aspects of the prob, but looking for feedback.
    06-28-09 01:44 PM
    So far, I'm loving this app, but I have noticed a few problems. I haven't had time to read through all the posts, so I'm probably repeating things.

Bookmarks - In addition to the broken link bookmarks, sometimes the bookmarks don't update at all. This can be troublesome for long chapters.

Scrolling - Seems to stall sometimes. Zooming in usually allows me to scroll quicker.

Zoom - It would be nice if the zoom would center on where you tap to zoom. It's not a huge burden, though, to just scroll to where you need.

Losing your place - I've been reading Soul Eater, which tends to have 40 pages per chapter. If I ever accidently hit the back button, I have to manually go through each page to get back where I was. A recently viewed history, or perhaps a way to skip to a certain page number would be very helpful here. Alternatively, a confirmation page for leaving a chapter via the back button would be helpful.

Bookmarking Series - I don't know if it's possible, but it'd be nice to bookmark certain series, and see a notification on the bookmark or main page when a new chapter has been added. Maybe have a NEW label to the side of each bookmarked series showing that a new chapter has been added.

Even without the above bugs/suggestions, this is a great app, and works really well. Thanks for giving us storm owners a great way to pass time.
    06-29-09 04:43 PM
    well some reason after i decided to uninstall a few apps from my phone on Blackberry desktop manager that for some reason this app gets stuck at "Getting the list of Manga". I tried uninstalling it and install it again, set all of the permission to allow and it still didnt load up the manga list. And the app i uninstalled was Bolt, Y! fantasy app, and Staple easy button. So this is getting frustrated trying to get this app to work again.
    Last edited by victorythagr8; 07-01-09 at 01:26 AM.
    07-01-09 01:17 AM
    +1 but I didn't uninstall anything. Seems like dev stated somewhere that it would expire after so many weeks.

07-01-09 05:57 AM
    Yep, I know about this problem and I have noooo idea why it happens... I'm looking into it and it should be fixed by the update, either because I fix the bug or because I trash the bookmark system and rewrite it.

Speaking of update, I am able to VNC into my development computer so I can finally get some work done. No info yet on a release date, but Mango will notify you (or force you, as it may actually be a mandatory update if I change the server code around a lot, since the old Mango version won't be able to communicate with the server). I know that's inconvenient but that's how it'll probably have to be. Besides, the Mango beta is set to expire, and thus become unusable, at the end of July.
    Yep here it is cept maybe he ment end of June

07-01-09 06:00 AM
    No, it hasn't expired yet... OneManga has apparently changed the way their site lists all of the manga series available, so the server can't parse the data and it returns an empty list. A fix should be done in a day or so.
    07-01-09 06:46 PM
    No, it hasn't expired yet... OneManga has apparently changed the way their site lists all of the manga series available, so the server can't parse the data and it returns an empty list. A fix should be done in a day or so.
    Great. You da man

07-01-09 07:55 PM
    Man this program rocks!!!! I have watched some of these as cartoons and I have now wasted many hours of time reading. This is the best app ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    First off these cartoons as you call them are called anime and anime looks a lot better than a cartoon. And I agree best app ever invented
    07-01-09 10:52 PM
    First off these cartoons as you call them are called anime and anime looks a lot better than a cartoon. And I agree best app ever invented
    Ahhh who cares what you call them, manga and anime are just plain awesome lol.

---

I can't connect to my server box to fix the "Getting series list" problem, and nor can I connect to my development computer so I can't work on Mango. I hope to get the problem resolved tomorrow, but no promises. Shame something as trivial as being 4000 miles away has to be such a pain :P

---

Mango's update is in progress, here's what it should have upon release:
    -Bug fix: Search box in chapter list works as intended.
    -Feature: Clicking escape when in the imageviewer will unzoom if zoomed in, or otherwise pop up a window asking if you want to close the chapter. This should resolve the problem of accidentally hitting escape at page 20 of a chapter and losing your place.
    -Feature: Jump-to-top and jump-to-bottom menu items added for series and chapter lists.
    -Feature: Recently viewed list. Will display the last 5 recently viewed chapters.
    -Feature: Refresh Cache menu item will allow you to refresh the series or chapter lists so you can access the latest updates from OneManga on the morning they're released.
    -Feature: Option to enable "sticky zoom." If you are zoomed in when switching a page and sticky zoom is enabled, Mango will stay zoomed in on the next page (starting at the top-right corner of the image).
    -Feature: Completely rewritten Bookmarks system. This should resolve the myriad of current issues, and it will also allow you to bookmark just a series or chapter rather than a specific page.
    -Feature: Jump-to-page menu item will allow you skip to a certain page inside a chapter so you don't have to advance pages one by one if you want to start in the middle.
    -Feature: Reverse swipe direction option. If this option is enabled, the swipe gesture directions will be reversed. In other words, swipe right to go to the PREVIOUS page instead of the next one, and swipe left to go to the next page instead of the previous one.
    -Feature: Update notification system. When an update to Mango is available, a new menu item will appear in the main menu.

What's coming after that?
    -Bug fix: Rewrite the image scaler to fix the jagged edges that can make some high-res images hard to read. This is proving to be quite an elusive bugfix... I've tried tons of different things. Hopefully I'll get it soon.
    -Bug fix/Feature: Support for networks without a defined APN (using BIS-B). This is still tentative, I may not be able to get this working.
    -Feature: Save-to-SD. I know I've promised this for a long time... it won't be in the first release but the one after.
    -Feature: Release for non-touchscreen devices running OS 4.7, meaning the Bold, the 8900 Curve (Javelin), and presumably the Tour when it goes on sale. An OS 4.6-compatible version for the 8800 and 8300 Curve devices will come after the 4.7 release. There are currently no plans for a Pearl release.
    -Tentative Feature: Commenting/reviewing of chapters and mangas. This is one thing I wish OneManga had, and it's something I might add when I have the time, mostly for fun.

I've been extraordinarily happy with Mango's reception... I released it as a beta because I thought that though it worked, it was lacking polish. Clearly I was wrong, as there are people who have been saying that it is well polished. Wasn't expecting that, haha.

The bookmarks system is without a doubt the weakest part of the app, and understandably so, as it was kind of a rushed hack-together. I should have worked on it some more but I was really impatient and I wanted to get the app out the door heh so I released it. Once the bookmarks system is redone I think I can safely consider the app out of beta.

After the official release I will start working on a basic, ugly website for Mango, I'll also put up a donation link. If you love Mango, please consider making a small donation, I can't express in words how much I would appreciate it! Even if you can't donate, merely letting me know that you like it is great too

Thanks for the support everyone; I am truly overwhelmed by the response Mango has received.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 07-03-09 at 01:13 AM.
    07-02-09 12:39 AM
    Also, I'll just throw this out there... My graphic design skills are sorely lacking, and there are a couple of images in Mango that I'd like to replace with better ones. So if you think you can make a nice looking image for Mango, go ahead and post it here and I'll include the best ones in the next release. Credit will obviously be given in the About Mango screen.

I'm satisfied with the screen backgrounds and the splash screen art and I don't plan on replacing them, but go ahead if you want to give it a shot. If it's really good I'll get rid of my attempt and use yours.

Art I am willing to replace:

The Mango Icon
    Currently, it's Ichigo's head with "mango" in small text, and it looks pretty lame. I threw it together in about two minutes, but I would like something nicer since the icon is the first thing users will see.

Guidelines:
    Needs to be 48x48 pixels. File format should be .png. Alpha transparency should be used in any unused background space in the icon. The focus should be something anime or manga related... it should clearly convey the idea that this app has something to do with manga to the user when they see the icon.
    The "Downloading" placeholder image in the series detail screen
    Currently, it's an image of Haruhi using a computer with the word "Downloading..." in the font Felt (the same font used in most scanlations for handwritten text). Another one I made quickly, and I was never satisfied with it. This image appears while the cover art for a manga series is being downloaded on the Series Detail screen.

Guidelines: Needs to be no more than 240 pixels wide (half the screen width). Height is not really important, just less than the screen height, which is 320. File format should be .png. Don't use alpha transparency since this increases the file size and the image will always be on a white background. You don't have to worry too much about file size since I will reduce it myself by dropping the number of colors in the image using Photoshop without hurting the quality. Needs to have the text "Downloading...". Use whatever image you feel would fit here; it doesn't necessarily have to be a character using a computer.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 07-02-09 at 10:12 AM.
    07-02-09 12:42 AM
    The server issue with Mango getting stuck at the series list has been fixed... Mango should work as normal now.

Bug fix (sorta): I've made a change to the server's caching code: the series list is now cached for 3 hours instead of 12, and the chapter list is now cached for 5 hours instead of 72 (!). No idea why I had the chapterlist cache set so high.

In other words, this means that you will have to wait at maximum 3 hours before a new series release on OneManga shows up in Mango, and at maximum 5 hours before a new chapter release on OneManga shows up.

This may result in slower chapterlist downloads for less popular series, but it will also make it much more likely that you will be able to read a new chapter the morning it is released on OneManga, without having to wait potentially three days for it to show up.

Also, I went ahead and cleared out the cache, since it was getting huge (9332 items) and full of stale cached items, and it took a good minute to download via FTP. That might increase performance a bit.
    Last edited by Andiamo; 07-02-09 at 08:45 PM.
    07-02-09 08:21 PM
    Even with the current bugs this is a great app. I have almost completely caught up on Initial D without having to go and find all the books.
    07-02-09 08:55 PM
    Man i finally finish reading 666 Satan and realized i just wasted 15 hours of my life. That ending was straight terrible. The final battle was weak.
    07-03-09 01:07 AM
    Heheh. Funny that you should post something like that... while finishing up the Jump-to-Page feature just now, I thought of the idea to allow users to leave comments or reviews on specific chapters or mangas. It's something I always wished OM had and I think it would be kinda fun, both to code and to use. I do wonder how useful it would be though.

I hate it when a series finishes with a crappy ending like that... you put a fairly big time investment into reading a manga only to find that the conclusion sucks. Annnoyyying. ><
    Last edited by Andiamo; 07-03-09 at 01:20 AM.
    07-03-09 01:16 AM
    Andiamo,

Thanks a ton! I know we only had Mango for a little while before OM changed their coding. My storm was completly boring for the past couple days, thanks for getting it running again. This is my most treasured app on the storm, I will for sure donate as soon as everthing is set up, this app is like gold.
    07-03-09 11:13 AM
    I can't connect? Couldn't connect to transcoding server? Am i doing something wrong?
    07-03-09 05:02 PM
    i am really exited about this app!
    i just hope you will release a version without apn so we europe people can use your awesome app to!^^
    07-04-09 03:39 AM
    love this app, helps me catch up on my mangas while i'm at work
    07-04-09 03:53 AM
    wumbo_bot:Looking at your carrier I see that you're using vodafone... some carriers operating in various european countries do not provide the blackberry device with an APN, and Mango currently requires one. I'm working on finding a workaround for this, but the current release of Mango doesn't work with some european carriers... sorry. :/
    Last edited by Andiamo; 07-04-09 at 07:21 PM.
    07-04-09 07:05 PM
    Ever since you fixed your server I've been having perfect bookmarks. I'm not sure if this is coincidence or not.
    07-06-09 11:23 PM
536 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD