COMPASS 1.0 has just been released for the BlackBerry Storm, Storm2, Tour and Bold. It is regularly-priced at $4.99 USD but, for the next two (2) weeks, there is a special introductory price of $2.99 USD.
    This savings promotion is a limited-time offer and will expire on Dec. 20th. Please act soon to take full advantage of the greatest savings!
    Please visit us at blueinc on our Compass page for more information, FAQ and to purchase Compass 1.0.
    Our Storm manual, which includes installation and disclaimer info, is available on our Downloads page.
    Now also available on MobiHand directly here.

- the blueinc Product Team
    12-07-09 01:10 PM
    awesome app Works great! Love the different skins too!
    12-07-09 01:13 PM
    Its a great upgrade! the backgrounds are awesome i agree
    12-07-09 01:16 PM
    Great app and the new backgrounds are top quality. I especially like the animated space one! I would recommend this to any outdoorsy bb user out there.

Great for saving that perfect fishing spot and such.
    12-07-09 06:46 PM
    Interesting... the app info states it requires 3.3meg - WOW - that's more than Garmin GPS I believe.
    12-07-09 09:08 PM
    Interesting... the app info states it requires 3.3meg - WOW - that's more than Garmin GPS I believe.
    Why this app take so much space ? It must have feature rich in it
    12-07-09 09:46 PM
    Running great on my 9550. Love it
    12-07-09 09:47 PM
    Yes, 3.25 Mg on the Storm; about half that for the Bold and Tour.

5 backgrounds, all in portrait and landscape format on the Storm: that's 10 in total. And one of them is animated with a spinning globe.

What sets our compass apart is the superior graphics...and graphics have their price, I guess. Most of our testers agreed with this statement but didn't feel it [the size of the app] impacted the performance.

B
    12-07-09 10:10 PM
    Maybe make it available with only the storm bg?

At least for the s1 crowd (the 3mb doesn't bother the s2 folks).
    I bought it, but I can't justify allocating 10% of my free mem to a compass app.
    12-07-09 10:52 PM
    Maybe make it available with only the storm bg?

At least for the s1 crowd (the 3mb doesn't bother the s2 folks).
    I bought it, but I can't justify allocating 10% of my free mem to a compass app.
    10% for you, 30% for me
    12-08-09 12:41 AM
    I am using a BB Storm 9530 on OS.4.7 and I am noticing a white bar at the bottom of the "Space" background.
    Portrait mode.

Have you though of reducing the app size by offering a seperate version for each background?

Also, your site forum mentions a version with a Halo/Final Fantasy type background and display... is this still in the works?
    Last edited by nulldog; 12-08-09 at 11:20 AM.
    12-08-09 11:17 AM
    from our online Storm manual:
    "Orientation: You can change the orientation of the display. Compass is programmed to listen for changes in how the phone is being held and will fill the screen accordingly. By choosing landscape, you�re effectively saying, �I want to hold my phone sideways so show me a sideways view�. It will.
    So, when you�re holding the phone upright and you�re looking at a portrait format background and you then choose a landscape format, you have to actually physically turn the device 90 degrees so that it�s in landscape.

Let�s look at an example: Let�s say you are holding the phone upright with the Space background showing. You choose the Landscape orientation from the Orientation picker and exit the screen using the �Back� button on the phone. Suddenly you see [what you describe: a white bar at the bottom of the "Space" background. ].

Is something wrong?! No! Simply physically rotate the phone 90 degrees in your hands and Compass will sense that change in how you are holding the phone. It will automatically fill the screen [with the landscape image you chose]. Then the screen is �locked in� to that screen. To get back to portrait format, choose Portrait from the Orientation picker and, after exiting the menu, physically rotate the phone to be upright."

The full manual is available online on our Downloads page in pdf format.

B
    12-08-09 01:39 PM

Have you though of reducing the app size by offering a seperate version for each background?

Also, your site forum mentions a version with a Halo/Final Fantasy type background and display... is this still in the works?
    Actually, one of the great suggestions still on the whiteboard that came out of testing was to link the Compass to our website and offer a subscription service where people could log in, choose a background from the many choices there and we would 'push' the background to their registered phone.
    We like the idea and are investigating its feasibility.

We were developing the last background but decided the app was large enough as it was. One more background in both orientations adds about 550 kb or half a Mg. Development of the Halo/Final Fantasy type background is suspended until further notice
    12-08-09 01:52 PM
    Actually, one of the great suggestions still on the whiteboard that came out of testing was to link the Compass to our website and offer a subscription service where people could log in, choose a background from the many choices there and we would 'push' the background to their registered phone.
    We like the idea and are investigating its feasibility.

We were developing the last background but decided the app was large enough as it was. One more background in both orientations adds about 550 kb or half a Mg. Development of the Halo/Final Fantasy type background is suspended until further notice
    I think the "pushed" backgrounds is a great idea.
    I hope the Halo/Final Fantasy version gets completed at some point.

And regarding the white bar at the bottom of the Space background in portrait mode... I have attached a screenshot. Its not an orientation issue, there is a white bar at the bottom of the graphic.
    12-09-09 11:44 AM
    I think the "pushed" backgrounds is a great idea.
    I hope the Halo/Final Fantasy version gets completed at some point.

And regarding the white bar at the bottom of the Space background in portrait mode... I have attached a screenshot. Its not an orientation issue, there is a white bar at the bottom of the graphic.
    I see now what you mean. I've never seen that before; none of our testers have reported this. I'd like to know more about your OS version. Would you mind contacting me through an email with your particulars?

tia
    B
    12-09-09 11:58 AM
    I emailed my device details to you a couple of days ago, and I checked the other backgrounds today and noticed that the white bar is at the botton of all of the backgrounds.
    12-11-09 11:17 AM
    May I suggest contacting Emacf1 on this forum about his geo-logging app.
    The app is incredablily small 177.1kb and has a functional compass built in.
    No real eye-candy though.

I can send you a link to his site and app if you want to take a look at it and contact him, but I will not post it here out of respect for your work.
    12-24-09 11:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD