Does this app really work? Is it a large app and is it a memory hog?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 06:17 AM
    Does this app really work? Is it a large app and is it a memory hog?

It worked for me, but the app has a trial so why not try it and see how it goes for you.
    08-28-09 06:44 AM
    Looks like an interesting app. Anyone using it with a Tour?
    08-28-09 09:00 AM
    Are there any Bold users? In the interim, I will give it a try. I would like to have more feedback.
    08-28-09 10:27 AM
    08-28-09 10:34 AM
    Now, I am not so sure having read the comments in the link above.
    08-28-09 10:39 AM
    The program has been verified as impossible by trusted members of the community, and others have viewed the application's code and said it's a fake. It can't get too much clearer than that.
    08-28-09 11:00 AM
    Having read each posting in the link, I would agree. I only scanned them very quickly the first time.
    08-28-09 11:23 AM
    It has trial app, so why not try it? Plus I am confused by the review. Here is what it states in part...."NetworkAcc (Network
    Accelerator) is just out from Emobistudio. You know, they also write MemoryUp (Pro) and a few others.

Anyway, its really a great application. Ever since I installed it (yesterday) on my phone it has run considerably faster and smoother. Also it seems to hold memory better. It pairs well with MemoryUp (Pro) and together these two apps are my RIM stability factor. Once loaded and hidden (or press the Red phone button once loaded), they reside in the background and really do a good job at smoothing things out and speeding things up."

So how can you say it is a scam?
    08-28-09 02:27 PM
    Any benefit was purely psychological.

BlackBerry developers only have access to a limited set of commands - there's only so much that can be done. We know this application can't do what it says, because we just aren't given any commands that could affect the network in a positive manner. We know that, in theory, this application is impossible.

That's the first bad thing against the app.

Then, it was discovered that the source code for this application is available. You can view the code, and actually see what this application is doing. You can view, line by line, the exact code that went in to making this application - and of those who have viewed it, they have agreed that it does nothing. That tells us, in practice, that this application does not work.

That's the second bad thing against the app.

Then there's the reviews - fake reviews on both forums and the application stores, very obvious ones that plug both this and the company's other product, MemoryUpPro. 99% of the reviews are all similar and obviously fake.

If most of the reviews of a product seem like they're from the company that built the product, that's another bad sign.

Edit: NetworkAcc - Mobile Network Accelerator (Specially Designed for BlackBerry) - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    Normal user reviews don't look like that.
    Last edited by acowart; 08-28-09 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Adding link to 'user' reviews
    08-28-09 02:53 PM
    Where is the code? I would love to see it.

Any benefit was purely psychological.

BlackBerry developers only have access to a limited set of commands - there's only so much that can be done. We know this application can't do what it says, because we just aren't given any commands that could affect the network in a positive manner. We know that, in theory, this application is impossible.

That's the first bad thing against the app.

Then, it was discovered that the source code for this application is available. You can view the code, and actually see what this application is doing. You can view, line by line, the exact code that went in to making this application - and of those who have viewed it, they have agreed that it does nothing. That tells us, in practice, that this application does not work.

That's the second bad thing against the app.

Then there's the reviews - fake reviews on both forums and the application stores, very obvious ones that plug both this and the company's other product, MemoryUpPro. 99% of the reviews are all similar and obviously fake.

If most of the reviews of a product seem like they're from the company that built the product, that's another bad sign.

Edit: NetworkAcc - Mobile Network Accelerator (Specially Designed for BlackBerry) - Personal Productivity BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Software Store
    Normal user reviews don't look like that.
    08-28-09 04:34 PM
    Where is the code? I would love to see it.
    I think the legality of posting the code itself is questionable at best.

If you can find an old version of the app, according to the linked thread, it was in a .jar file, and could be decompiled to view the source. The newer versions of NetworkAcc, after that thread, use RIM's cod/alx format, and don't offer the same easy source access.

It's not terribly interesting - if you're a developer, you can read RIM's API documents and know it isn't possible in the first place. If you're not a developer, the code won't make much sense.

For another trusted source that adds to the claim it's impossible:
    Buyer beware - what is possible for 3rd party BlackBerry apps? | BlackBerry Cool
    08-28-09 11:53 PM
    I understand what you and others are saying, but if this is such a crappy app, why does crackberry and other places still sell it?
    09-11-09 10:52 AM
    Before I continue I have to say I have not tested this personally. As a programmer I looked at the claims, and found it highly unlikely to be true. Java never allows User programs to access core functions at this level - OS level proivileges are required.

If it's the one referenced in this review - all I can say is that there are serious doubts about the claims made for it, and we have found some evidence of China-based spamming to promote it. (You all know what we do about spammers and multiple identies, right? We can ban them as fast as we find them)

Why is it still on the CB Store? Because the CB store imports some items from Mobihand not fully under CB control. There is of course nothing to prevent our "real" users posting a Customer Review of any product on the store, either positive or negative as you find by experience.
    09-11-09 11:02 AM
    I trialed the Network Accelerator app and I purchased the Memory Booster myself and didn't notice any improvements whatsoever on either. Yes, it's true that the reviews are fake and orchestrated to deceive potential buyers.

09-11-09 11:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD