Hi,

I am building an application that will display the state that the area code of the phone call maps to if there is no contact info for the call. Then, at least you will be able to tell what state the number maps to.

I need some beta testers to help me test this on a variety of carriers and phone types. Please post here me if you are willing to help and tell me what phone you have as well as the service provider. Additionally, you will need to have an SDCard since I write some logs to the SD card while it is running. I am interested in finding out how it works, as well as if it slows down your incoming phone calls. I will ask you to send me the logs, especially if you find it not working.

-frank
    12-18-09 07:39 PM
    Ill give it a whirl. Tour 5.0.0.230 hybrid os w/ US cell. PM me. I have an SD card.
    12-18-09 07:45 PM
    Hi, provided the app is slim I'm in. 9550 on VZW running .428. 16GB SD.
    12-18-09 07:46 PM
    I also would like to Beta Test your application.
    BlackBerry 8530 running 5.0.0.337 on U.S. Cellular [2GB MicroSD]
    Last edited by Nalinith; 12-18-09 at 08:10 PM.
    12-18-09 08:02 PM
    I'll test as well, if still needed.

Verizon - OS5.0v7.11(hybrid) - Tour 9630
    Last edited by webmastir; 12-18-09 at 08:24 PM.
    12-18-09 08:19 PM
    I'll give it a try, although I don't get many calls that are from blocked
    numbers. Anyways here is my info & I do have a SD card.

Sprint/Nextel
    8350i .313

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-09 08:28 PM
    ill test it
    blackberry 8900 running 5.0.0.411 on T-mobile
    1GB Sd card
    12-18-09 08:31 PM
    Don't know if it works for us Canadian users, if it does I'll give it a try... 9700/5.0.0.421 on rogers

12-18-09 08:31 PM
    Just to be clear - for me on sprint, if I get a call that I do not have in my contact list, it just shows the phone number and nothing else. All this small app is going to do is look at the area code and map it to a state then the state shows as the contact info. If the number is blocked I will not be able to do anything with that.

It is nothing too big, it is just that I need to figure out what format the phone numbers are on different carriers/phones.

-frank
    12-18-09 08:34 PM
    Storm 1 5.0 os
    Verizon
    il beta test
    12-18-09 08:50 PM
    9550 5.0.0.428 Verizon
    12-18-09 08:53 PM
    I'll help test it out, I got a Storm 2 on Verizon. Is there anyway make it identify the city and state?
    12-18-09 08:53 PM
    Daniel, I don't know either The list of area codes I have is supposed to be for North America and there are a number of Canadian provinces listed, so it should work for at least some subset of Canada as long as I can figure out the format for the incoming phone number.

I should have it packaged and ready later tonight or tomorrow morning for testing.

Thanks
    -frank
    12-18-09 09:00 PM
    I'll help test it out, I got a Storm 2 on Verizon. Is there anyway make it identify the city and state?

Unfortunately not with the data I currently have. That would require mappings of the exchanges to cities - a much larger data set and one that I am not sure I can get for free. Right now the app is about 10k.

-frank
    12-18-09 09:01 PM
    Alright,
    I'm subscribed to this thread and looking forward to when its available for install.

12-18-09 09:14 PM
    Sure ill test. On a 8520 curve using t mobile

12-18-09 09:51 PM
    Ok, after thinking about this and realizing I want as much feedback as possible I have decided to put this version up on a server for a day or so for downloading.

This version is configured to run for 14 days after the first time you run it and then it will refuse to run after that.

The final version will run at startup, but for this beta I chose to make it so you can decide to run it. If you reboot, you will have to restart the application. This is so that if it malfunctions on your phone you can simply reboot and send me the logs and then remove it if you want to.

Now, when you start the application, nothing will appear to happen since there is no UI for it. Start it like any other app by clicking or tapping it - but only start it once please. It will not show up as a running application and will utilize no resources until a phone call comes in. If the phone number on the call is not found in your contacts, it should show the state (or province if in Canada) of that call along with the phone number. Once a call is received, a file Called PhoneListener.log will appear in the root of your SDCard.

Each call will cause it write a little bit of data to this log file. It is a simple text file that you can examine before sending it to me if you are concerned about privacy. It just mainly prints the phone number as provided in the call so I can see if special parsing is required as was the case on my Sprint Tour.

In order for me to test it, I simply edited my contact for my home line and removed the number then called myself from that number to see if it correctly identified the number as coming from Virginia.

Thanks for looking at the app for me!

http://firestrm.thruhere.net/PhoneCall.jad

-frank
    12-18-09 10:06 PM
    well im running 5.0 os and called from 3 different phones minus the #'s in my address book and it has not shown any thing after a call
    12-18-09 10:18 PM
    Ok, can you look at your SDCard and see if there is a log file? I was kinda afraid of that, and this may be too hard if every carrier has its own format. I am running 5.0 on my Tour on Sprint and it seemed to work. That likely means that the number is not coming across in a format I can parse, of course it is different from Sprints apparently. It will not show anything after the call, it will show up on the screen when the call is coming in. Mine shows Virginia and the number on the main screen instead of the contact's name.

-frank
    12-18-09 10:23 PM
    yes i see a log file
    12-18-09 10:27 PM
    I just called from my other line after deleting from my address book and it correctly identified the call as coming from Florida.
    12-18-09 10:27 PM
    Suprah, I PM'd you last night. Can you please email me the log?

Any other GSM users try this?

-frank

12-19-09 05:47 PM
    It's been working for me.
    12-19-09 06:01 PM
    I am willing to test. I have 9700 Bold 2 on TMO USA running 5.0.0.421 OS
    12-19-09 08:20 PM
    Att bold 9700 running .405 let me know it sounds like a good app and I have a 16 gig memory card

12-19-09 08:24 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD