Hi All,

I'm a newbie and I need some help. I have a blackberry pearl with the T-Mobile Web plan. This plan is $5.99/month from T-Mobile and some people also call this T-Zone. I can use the blackberry browser to get to some web sites but not others. I was told to download the Opera Mini browser and use it to get around the problem of not being able to get to some secured web sites. I downloaded Opera Mini 4.0 on my blackberry but I have not been able to run it. I got an error "Failed to connect to the Internet" every time I tried to run it. I've spent many hours going through the internet looking for help but to no avail. I've already set up my APN to "wap.voicestream.com" and that did not help.

I saw somewhere that said the Opera Mini browser requires a data plan for it to run on the blackberry. Does my T-Mobile Web plan meet that requirement? If not, what is the minimum plan that I need to have from T-Mobile for Opera Mini to work? I'm very frustrated and would appreciate any pointer.

Thanks in advance.
    04-15-08 02:34 PM
    No. To use third party apps which connect to the internet, you need to have a BlackBerry data plan.
    04-15-08 02:42 PM
    I'm getting more confused. I've copied a question and a response below from another forum related to this topic. It seems to me from the response that we would be able to run the Opera Mini browser on the blackberry with the T-Mobile Web plan. That does not agree with your response, sunkast.

Anyone can confirm which is the correct answer?

---------------------------------
    Blackberry phone and Tmobile data plan?
    I asked this Q but no one gave me a good response.

Does the regular 5.99 tmobile web work on a black berry phone?

Or do I have to get the 19.99 data plan if i want to use the internet at all?

I had the 5.99 web plan on my old phone and that was fine, I used it primarily for yahoo directions, etc. So, would the 5.99 tmobile web plan work or would I have to get the blackberry 19.99 data plan?

I just think it's too expensive just for the internet. It's slow and really pointless for me; I don't need it to that extent.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
    You CAN use the regular $5.99 data plan for the Internet, but you CAN'T use the BlackBerry browser. You would need to install Opera Mini on the device, and then configure your APN/TCP settings so that Opera Mini can connect to the Internet. You won't be able to use Opera Mini to download things from the web or install programs, but it will work for just regular browsing.

To configure your APN/TCP settings you go to Options > Advanced Options > TCP. For T-Mobile you will set the APN to wap.voicestream.com, and leave the username and password blank.
    04-15-08 03:36 PM
    The APN gateway doesn't work unless you have a data plan. And I think that anyone that complains about $19.99 being to expensive for unlimited internet is cheap. That is the cheapest I have seen for any BB data plan on any carrier in the world.
    04-15-08 04:09 PM
    You MUST have a data plan to use Opera on your BlackBerry.
    If you do not want to believe what you are being told here, dial 611.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-08 12:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD